• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New buses in peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
The success of the citi network in Peterborough has been rewarded by the investment of a further £1.7 million in a fleet of new double-decker buses. The 14 low-floor easy access buses have been introduced on the high frequency cross-city Orton to Werrington service and will mean that the entire citi network is now operated by low-floor buses. These buses are fitted with CCTV for the safety of our customers and have wide doors and no steps which make it so easy when you're pushing a buggy or carrying heavy shopping. These buses are also equipped with Real Time Information technology which will be introduced to the Citi 1 later this year.

ScPbo905smallerandcropped.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
warriorofrovac said:
The success of the citi network in Peterborough has been rewarded by the investment of a further £1.7 million in a fleet of new double-decker buses. The 14 low-floor easy access buses have been introduced on the high frequency cross-city Orton to Werrington service and will mean that the entire citi network is now operated by low-floor buses. These buses are fitted with CCTV for the safety of our customers and have wide doors and no steps which make it so easy when you're pushing a buggy or carrying heavy shopping. These buses are also equipped with Real Time Information technology which will be introduced to the Citi 1 later this year.

ScPbo905smallerandcropped.jpg

Not those! They are so loud! And they need to get rid of the blue interior.

Loud? These are quiet..but it may be because i travel on them every day to i become accustomed to the noise.
They've already had 3 of the 14 out of action...cars crashing into them.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Not those! They are so loud! And they need to get rid of the blue interior.

What's wrong with the Stagecoach interior? :s

It's better than everything being purple thats for sure...

Tom B

Established Member
Loud? Go on a SPD... (though it does depend on the engine)

Tom B

Established Member
Leyland Atlantean up a steep hill?

Scania decker with something majorly wrong, held together with gaffer tape?

Guinness

Established Member
VRs, nice bus but very, very old from a "big 3" standard. Also very unreliable if not maintained properly...

I think the Stagecoach interior is great. I use to travel on Stagecoach Excel IIs daily and found their interiors to be really nice. I travel on Super Pointer II Darts twice daily and have never found them to be loud, inside or out.

tramboy

Loud! You've not heard loud until you experience some of the cronky buses Arriva Durham put on the 5/6 as they head up South Road! Lynx IIs in bad states of repair! Fortunately, they've now been started to be replaced by slightly more modern buses (Plaxton bodied somethings!).

Even some of the newer trentbarton wright solars are loud going uphill (not from outside mind, but they seem it from inside!)

Cheers

Dave

Guinness

Established Member
Euro 3 engines in 8.8m MPDs! Sound like tractors.. Can always tell when the 392 is steaming down the road.....

Tom B

Established Member
I suppose it depends upon the maintainance they get, the badly maintained spuds that First put out can have engines going full tilt (sounding very dodgy) and still accelerate worse than an Atlantean.

Dominators are quieter, but make a much nicer sound :)

Gareth Hale

I believe Delaine buses (my old local bus company) still runs a few step buses. Its hard to believe I lived near Peterborough and yet I don't have any plans to visit it in some time to come.

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I believe Delaine buses (my old local bus company) still runs a few step buses. Its hard to believe I lived near Peterborough and yet I don't have any plans to visit it in some time to come.

I thought you lived near Burnley which is nowhere Peterborough?

Tom B

Established Member
66017- said:
you think thats bad i get a leyland greenway to school

66017:sign1:

I know some people who do, the LRCC use some on school routes. Theyre probarbly better than an ill maintained Fart though.

Gareth Hale said:

I believe they got rid of them now.
They've brought some nice new buses for the Bourne routes.
Wouldnt visit Peterborough, its terrible...16 years of living here gives me just reason to say that.

DLA365

Speaking of loud buses, any bus can be loud if there is something wrong with the exhaust or engine.

For vintage buses (anything built in the late 1970s-1980s), the best place IMO is Birmingham (and Walsall). The following vehicles are interesting:

Chase Coaches - ex-London Leyland Nationals (LS class)
Travel West Midlands - Metrobuses (built from 1982)
North Birmingham Busways - ex-London VAs, Leyland Atlanteans

Then there are a plethora of buses built in the 90s, such as Lynxes, Olympians, Darts (of various bodyworks), Lances etc. Those mixed in with a few bendies and modern Tridents makes an interesting bus scene.

RJ

Established Member
The loudest bus I've heard was the First Gold Trident. It was absolutely deafening! And it was in the middle of the City of London, so the racket was contained :(
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
tramboy said:
Loud! You've not heard loud until you experience some of the cronky buses Arriva Durham put on the 5/6 as they head up South Road! Lynx IIs in bad states of repair! Fortunately, they've now been started to be replaced by slightly more modern buses (Plaxton bodied somethings!).

Is this one of them? ;)

ygo880.jpg

Gareth Hale

Chaz said:
I thought you lived near Burnley which is nowhere Peterborough?
I did, I was born in 1990 and lived in Burnley till 1999, Lived in Bourne from 1999-2004 and I am encarsarated in the USA 2004 - 2011 :D
warriorofrovac said:
Wouldnt visit Peterborough, its terrible...16 years of living here gives me just reason to say that.
Yep, I liked Peterborough, but there is something about it, I had a strange feeling about it the first time I went there, expecially Queensgate Shopping Centre.
warriorofrovac said:
Yep, I liked Peterborough, but there is something about it, I had a strange feeling about it the first time I went there, expecially Queensgate Shopping Centre. I liked the buses, I remember throwing up on one though....

Tom B

Established Member
DLA365 said:
Speaking of loud buses, any bus can be loud if there is something wrong with the exhaust or engine.

For vintage buses (anything built in the late 1970s-1980s), the best place IMO is Birmingham (and Walsall). The following vehicles are interesting:

Chase Coaches - ex-London Leyland Nationals (LS class)
Travel West Midlands - Metrobuses (built from 1982)
North Birmingham Busways - ex-London VAs, Leyland Atlanteans

Then there are a plethora of buses built in the 90s, such as Lynxes, Olympians, Darts (of various bodyworks), Lances etc. Those mixed in with a few bendies and modern Tridents makes an interesting bus scene.

Unfortunately most the Nationals round here were withdrawn last year :(. A further batch was withdrawn awfully early in 1998. Only a few survive - notably C49OCM with MASS which was the last built. How many LN's remain nationwide? I'd have thought their mass withdrawl would be going on about now...

Gareth Hale said:
I agree. It is horrible.:fart::fart::fart:

Logically its flawless but as it stands at the moment its stretched beyond its maxiumum capacity which makes it terrible

Gareth Hale

warriorofrovac said:
Logically its flawless but as it stands at the moment its stretched beyond its maxiumum capacity which makes it terrible

And why have they made it so narrow, I remember waiting for a few mins in a Delaine bus because another bus was pulled in and it was to wide for us to pass. :rolleyes:

Guinness

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Unfortunately most the Nationals round here were withdrawn last year :(. A further batch was withdrawn awfully early in 1998. Only a few survive - notably C49OCM with MASS which was the last built. How many LN's remain nationwide? I'd have thought their mass withdrawl would be going on about now...

IIRC www.freewebs.com/leylandnational has a list of National's currently in service. :)

Gareth Hale said:
And why have they made it so narrow, I remember waiting for a few mins in a Delaine bus because another bus was pulled in and it was to wide for us to pass. :rolleyes:

I doubt it was too wide for you to pass, all buses can easily fit into the allocated bus stops even coaches. The problem inherent is most drivers seem to decide they are going to stop at an angle so part of the bus is sticking into the through lane...holding buses up. They seem to stick out because they try to stop but another bus has taken there spot or they try to stop without enough room to align themselves properly..another example showing too many buses. If all the buses stopped correctly then there is nothing wrong with it being narrow like it is

TAS

Gareth Hale said:
Ah the Leyland National, my favourite bus of all times. Ive rode a few in my life, what a bus, WHAT A BUS :D
Well seeing as pacers used Nationals for parts and design we can see why.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.