• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Chiltern rolling stock to Beaconsfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroded

Hi,

We are thinking of moving from London to Beaconsfield, one of the (small) downsides as a London commuter would be that the trains to Beaconsfield are so old and horrible.

Does this forum know when they will be replaced with something new?

Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cach17

This notion of yours that Beaconsfield has old and horrible trains would be more accurate if it was expressed over 30 years ago. What's so horrible about the 165s/168s?

JN114

Established Member
This notion of yours that Beaconsfield has old and horrible trains would be more accurate if it was expressed over 30 years ago. What's so horrible about the 165s/168s?

The OP doesn’t like them, that’s their opinion.

The answer to the question asked; is that there are presently no concrete plans to replace the trains operating through Beaconsfield station.

Chiltern have put out a tender to evaluate costs of doing so; but with the current rail political and fiscal situation there is no guarantee an order will follow, nor any timescales for all this to conclude.

eroded

Thanks all. That's disappointing.

When I said "horrible" - I was thinking the 2-3 seating 165s: old, dirty, noisy, vibrating, no tables, barely anywere to even put a coffee down, no seat power, etc. etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I said "horrible" - I was thinking the 2-3 seating 165s: old, dirty, noisy, vibrating, no tables, barely anywere to even put a coffee down, no seat power, etc. etc.

They're not 3+2 throughout, the end sections have reasonable (but not fancy, it's the same I think as the Merseyrail 50x but with armrests) 2+2 seating with coffee holders, this being where I usually sit when I get one on the Met Line. I accept that may be all taken by the time the train from Oxford (as I think they mostly are) gets to Beaconsfield though.

Having said that, if you're looking at the 0740 off Beaconsfield, which is probably your prime commuter train, this appears to be diagrammed 8 cars of 168 (much nicer 2+2 inside), though I wouldn't like to guarantee there are any spare seats by Beaconsfield it might not be a terrible bet as it's quite a long train by Chiltern standards. Generally the services originating at/going to Oxford are more likely to be 168s than the Wycombe stopper.

DelW

Established Member
Thanks all. That's disappointing.

While they're old, if the seats on Chiltern's Turbos are still the same as on GWR's, they're rather more comfortable than on newer stock. Last time I returned from Bristol to Guildford, the Turbo from Reading felt much more comfortable than the class 800 on the main line had been.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi,

We are thinking of moving from London to Beaconsfield, one of the (small) downsides as a London commuter would be that the trains to Beaconsfield are so old and horrible.

Does this forum know when they will be replaced with something new?

Thanks,
There is a tender for new units and you can read about that here: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.