• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Conductor for Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinkley

Hello everyone,

My name is Nick. I've watched the forum for afar for a while but this is my first post (apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place).

On 7th March, I start my second career as a conductor based at Exeter St. Davids - formally I was a teacher for around 13 years.

I'm very much looking forward to starting at Exeter and just thought I would introduce myself. I have tons of questions about the job - purely curiosity more than anything else!

Kind regards,

Nick.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Welcome to the forum Nick and congratulations on your new role! There's a whole host of experience on here who I am sure will be able to answer questions you have so fire away.

Lmc1976

I start at Exeter in the same role on April 4th so will watch this thread with interest!

Brinkley

Welcome to the forum Nick and congratulations on your new role! There's a whole host of experience on here who I am sure will be able to answer questions you have so fire away.

Thank you! I am really looking forward to starting.

One question I have is what are 'typical' conductor shifts like post the training period? I was told the very basics of 5am starts and 1am finishes at my interview, but I'm just curious what a typical week would look like. Do you work a mixture of shifts throughout the week? Or would it be several 'earlies' and 'lates' in a row?

Again, apologies if this is somewhere else on the forum.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thank you! I am really looking forward to starting.

One question I have is what are 'typical' conductor shifts like post the training period? I was told the very basics of 5am starts and 1am finishes at my interview, but I'm just curious what a typical week would look like. Do you work a mixture of shifts throughout the week? Or would it be several 'earlies' and 'lates' in a row?

Again, apologies if this is somewhere else on the forum.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Yes that's broadly correct as are those start times. I suppose there's no typical "week" because you'd be on roster over X amounts of week. So you might have a week of earlies, then some RDs (rest days), then maybe some late shifts, spare shifts, more RDs and all averages out over those X weeks to your weekly hours in a contract. There's also different "links" which are based generally on seniority and you progress off them and do more "'interesting' work with slightly less anti-social work over time.

The roster really would be a mix of all shifts - but obviously you'd wouldn't do a late shift before an early shift due to a need for 12 hours rest between shifts.

Brinkley

Yes that's broadly correct as are those start times. I suppose there's no typical "week" because you'd be on roster over X amounts of week. So you might have a week of earlies, then some RDs (rest days), then maybe some late shifts, spare shifts, more RDs and all averages out over those X weeks to your weekly hours in a contract. There's also different "links" which are based generally on seniority and you progress off them and do more "'interesting' work with slightly less anti-social work over time.

The roster really would be a mix of all shifts - but obviously you'd wouldn't do a late shift before an early shift due to a need for 12 hours rest between shifts.

Thank you - that is really helpful.

A friend, who used to work for Network Rail, said about the links. Are you able to work through them at your own pace? Or is there a set amount of time you have to remain at each stage? This might sound daft, but I'm very enthusiastic to really make a go of this (especially as this is a second career).

Best wishes,

Nick.

Signal_Box

A typical Exeter Conductor turn will look like this…

0500 book on, read notices etc collect revenue equipment.
0516 Exeter SD to Barnstaple.
0616 Barnstaple to Paignton.
0730 Paignton to Barnstaple.
0900 Barnstaple to Exeter SD

PNB (Break).

1030 Exeter SD to Bristol TM
1200 Bristol TM to Exeter SD

1430 dispose revenue equipment & book off.

I think (it might of changed) Exeter sign Barnstaple, Oakhampton, Plymouth, Cardiff, Paignton, Exemouth, Westbury.

Nice depot overall from what I remember.

Progress through the links is on the basis of open lines becoming available then via internal promotion to Train manager for the far flung routes to London.

Brinkley

A typical Exeter Conductor turn will look like this…

0500 book on, read notices etc collect revenue equipment.
0516 Exeter SD to Barnstaple.
0616 Barnstaple to Paignton.
0730 Paignton to Barnstaple.
0900 Barnstaple to Exeter SD

PNB (Break).

1030 Exeter SD to Bristol TM
1200 Bristol TM to Exeter SD

1430 dispose revenue equipment & book off.

I think (it might of changed) Exeter sign Barnstaple, Oakhampton, Plymouth, Cardiff, Paignton, Exemouth, Westbury.

Nice depot overall from what I remember.

Progress through the links is on the basis of open lines becoming available then via internal promotion to Train manager for the far flung routes to London.

Thank you, that is really helpful and useful to know. I know a bit about railway operation, but not much!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thank you - that is really helpful.

A friend, who used to work for Network Rail, said about the links. Are you able to work through them at your own pace? Or is there a set amount of time you have to remain at each stage? This might sound daft, but I'm very enthusiastic to really make a go of this (especially as this is a second career).

Best wishes,

Nick.

Normally its very much waiting for those people above you to retire or move onto other things! So unfortunately you'd start near the bottom with the most "unattractive work" but obviously as a newcomer I'm sure you'll be greatly looking forward to it! Of course you too could progress to become a Train Manager or another role in due course.

For info about Exeter depot and the routes signed, see here

Brinkley

Normally its very much waiting for those people above you to retire or move onto other things! So unfortunately you'd start near the bottom with the most "unattractive work" but obviously as a newcomer I'm sure you'll be greatly looking forward to it! Of course you too could progress to become a Train Manager or another role in due course.

For info about Exeter depot and the routes signed, see here

Thank you - that is a really helpful link.

And yes, I really don't mind what I do to start with! I'm just enthusiastic to find out as much as I can about the role before I start. I've already had my training schedule and temporary travel pass arrive, so might do a bit of 'route learning' between now and when I start.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

And yes, I really don't mind what I do to start with! I'm just enthusiastic to find out as much as I can about the role before I start. I've already had my training schedule and temporary travel pass arrive, so might do a bit of 'route learning' between now and when I start.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Yeah no harm in getting out about on the area, but don't try and overthink "route learning" as you'll get that formally when you start your training with an instructor so its best not to go in with too many presumptions.

Signal_Box

Best wishes,

Nick.

Be really careful your pass covers you prior to actual employment or for off duty travel. Sadly there are staff out there who take huge pleasure in reporting other staff for even minor mistakes.

si_145653

Hello everyone,

My name is Nick. I've watched the forum for afar for a while but this is my first post (apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong place).

On 7th March, I start my second career as a conductor based at Exeter St. Davids - formally I was a teacher for around 13 years.

I'm very much looking forward to starting at Exeter and just thought I would introduce myself. I have tons of questions about the job - purely curiosity more than anything else!

Kind regards,

Nick.

Congrats on the new role. You are where I am trying to get too.

Do you mind me asking when you applied and if you were in a talent pool?

Also are you based in Exeter or commuting? I need to commute before I can look at relocating so think that might put them off my application.

Hope it all goes well.

paulwestwood

Congrats on the new role. You are where I am trying to get too.

Do you mind me asking when you applied and if you were in a talent pool?

Also are you based in Exeter or commuting? I need to commute before I can look at relocating so think that might put them off my application.

Hope it all goes well.
Exeter has Conductors, Train Managers and Drivers who live in Plymouth, so if that's where your currently based it shouldn't be a problem but they will ask you to confirm that you can make it to Exeter to Book On without having to rely on Public Transport as Exeter Conductors earliest start time is around 03:40. TM's have a turn that books on at 00:01. Also just bear in mind TM's T&C's are different to Conductors so going forward consider all angles carefully. Exeter is a friendly depot and if your not sure about anything make sure you ask any of us, we will help out.

si_145653

Exeter has Conductors, Train Managers and Drivers who live in Plymouth, so if that's where your currently based it shouldn't be a problem but they will ask you to confirm that you can make it to Exeter to Book On without having to rely on Public Transport as Exeter Conductors earliest start time is around 03:40. TM's have a turn that books on at 00:01. Also just bear in mind TM's T&C's are different to Conductors so going forward consider all angles carefully. Exeter is a friendly depot and if your not sure about anything make sure you ask any of us, we will help out.
Thanks for the info and your kinds words :)

michael74

I know I will find out soon enough, but does anyone know the current % of salary employee pension contribution rate for GWR conductors at Exeter? I am just doing some forward planning, as I don't have access to RPS site just yet.

si_145653

I have been selected for interview so am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Does anyone know does the guard manager(s) in Exeter cover only Exeter or do they cover a number of stations (that’s if guards are based from other nearby stations) my interview is in Newton Abbot.

paulwestwood

I have been selected for interview so am keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Does anyone know does the guard manager(s) in Exeter cover only Exeter or do they cover a number of stations (that’s if guards are based from other nearby stations) my interview is in Newton Abbot.
Guards Managers only manage Guards at Their own Depot.
There are no Guards based at Newton Abbot, interviews, training and other things take place at Newton Abbot Station as it has been done out with various training rooms and offices upstairs.

si_145653

Guards Managers only manage Guards at Their own Depot.
There are no Guards based at Newton Abbot, interviews, training and other things take place at Newton Abbot Station as it has been done out with various training rooms and offices upstairs.
Thank you. 8-)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Where does the training take place for Exeter conductors. I have heard Newton Abbott?

It depends what sort of training you are discussing. Most conductor/TM training is held in Swindon with a hotel, although obviously traction and route learning will be out of Exeter depot.

si_145653

It depends what sort of training you are discussing. Most conductor/TM training is held in Swindon with a hotel, although obviously traction and route learning will be out of Exeter depot.

Ah! I thought I heard the initial training was at Newton Abbot but guess I am wrong.

I have my interview for the talent pool on Monday, really hope I get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.