• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New DB website

Richard Scott

Established Member
What a pile of junk the new DB website is. On the old one I could click on a station and it would give me all departures for next hour; not any more unless someone has worked out how to do it?
Are there any other timetable sites that I can use as DB one is no good anymore?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D7666

took me about 60,000 milliseconds to find that; it was so hard to find especially as URL has NOT changed

next question ?

should yield you the same search potential just input the station name; it is a bit better if you want a longer window than 1 hour

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member

took me about 60,000 milliseconds to find that; it was so hard to find especially as URL has NOT changed

next question ?

should yield you the same search potential just input the station name; it is a bit better if you want a longer window than 1 hour
Ok, thanks, didn't realise that part of it still existed, doesn't connect off new website so is now stand alone? Old website doesn't work anymore, which is what I used to use to find suitable trains then link from train number to find calling points and go from there (as usually was looking for suitable moves from that train).
Shame about the sarcasm as not really necessary?

D7666

To be fair the rest of that website has a message saying that bookings are no longer possible - the old journey planner has been decommissioned it seems
The question was about departures not about bookings.

rvdborgt

Richard Scott

Established Member

Richard Scott

Established Member
had you not opened with the somewhat negative "what a pile of junk" and closed with " DB one is no good" there might have been no need
Problem is, it is! If you update something don't make it worse than what went before.

kingston_toon

It's certainly the case the new DB booking site has lost some useful functionality the old one had. For example, it used to be possible to specify two stopover locations and specify which train types you wanted on each of the three legs (excluding ICE, only regional trains etc) which I found really handy when booking complex itineraries, forcing connections onto services with availability of lower fares, avoiding Flixtrain etc. I do hope they consider bringing this back.

DanielB

They don't need to restore as this option hasn't disappeared.
Just tried it out and was perfectly able to do what you're writing on the German version of the new website:
  • First add departure and arrival station , then the option "Zwischenhalte" appears below. Here you're able to enter stopovers and set their length
  • Then select "Verkehrsmittel" and then tick "Benutzerdefiniert". When stopovers are added, you'll get a dropdown to select the different legs and set the types of trains for that leg.

Richard Scott

Established Member
They don't need to restore as this option hasn't disappeared.
Just tried it out and was perfectly able to do what you're writing on the German version of the new website:
  • First add departure and arrival station , then the option "Zwischenhalte" appears below. Here you're able to enter stopovers and set their length
  • Then select "Verkehrsmittel" and then tick "Benutzerdefiniert". When stopovers are added, you'll get a dropdown to select the different legs and set the types of trains for that leg.
Thank you for that, I'll be trying that later!

DanielB

It recently reappeared. It was gone for a while.
I've seen the option for intermediate stops at all times in the past months I used the DB planner. So that one was available.
The other option I hadn't used before, so less aware that one had disappeared.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I've seen the option for intermediate stops at all times in the past months I used the DB planner. So that one was available.
The other option I hadn't used before, so less aware that one had disappeared.
The intermediate stops were there but couldn't click on them to give other services from that station.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Still won't log in with Virgin Media though! You can make something as pretty or ugly as you like: it's still a pile when it comes to Virgin Media.

kingston_toon

It recently reappeared. It was gone for a while.

Yes, it's back, excellent! It wasn't there on the new site when I was booking a trip in early December (though I was still able to use an old version then) so this must be quite a recent return.

The new site always had the option for stopovers and high level "mode of transport" for the entire journey, but what's back is a second tab with this for "parts of the journey", and a full breakdown of ICE / ICE / S / U etc rather than just local or long-distance.

Veteran Member
Yes, it's back, excellent! It wasn't there on the new site when I was booking a trip in early December (though I was still able to use an old version then) so this must be quite a recent return.

The new site always had the option for stopovers and high level "mode of transport" for the entire journey, but what's back is a second tab with this for "parts of the journey", and a full breakdown of ICE / ICE / S / U etc rather than just local or long-distance.
That is a considerable improvement on the situation at launch - which I recall was the subject of much criticism on German forums. Used to be vital for cheap flexible regional fares with just a short IC/E leg.

The facility to click through to arrivals and departures from the journey planner is only available at slightly random major stations (and, oddly, at Frankfurt Niederrad!), whereas it used to apply throughout. Maybe that is a work in progress.