• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New deal for TransPennine rail services agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

West Ruislip

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/rail-franchising-20-march-2015

The Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP said:
New deal for TransPennine rail services agreed.

I am pleased to inform the House that my department has reached agreement with First Keolis TransPennine Express Limited to continue to operate train services in the north of England and Scotland. This means that the current franchisee will remain in place for a period of 12 months from 1 April 2015. There will be an optional extension period of up to 10 months. This deal ensures that passengers across the north continue to benefit from TransPennine Express’ experience of running this franchise. It also paves the way for the new competitively-let TransPennine Express franchise, which will deliver new trains and improved services.

As I announced on the 8th January, my department has reached agreement with Northern and TransPennine Express to ensure continuity of services after 5 of TransPennine Express’ class 170 diesel trains are transferred to Chiltern Railways, by their owner, Porterbrook Rail Leasing Ltd. I can inform the House that my department has agreed with Direct Rail Services Ltd to operate an enhanced train service on the Cumbrian Coast line, between Carlisle and Barrow-in-Furness as part of this deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
12 month extension with option for another 10 months.

* Introduce free Wi-Fi at all TPE stations
* Introduce 'smart' ticket machines and gates at Huddersfield
* Continue to provide 700 extra seats between York and Liverpool since last December and expand capacity in May this year
* Invest in customer information facilities at key stations
* Deliver a program of customer service staff training accredited by World Host

pemma

Veteran Member
with option for another 10 months.

Oh dear. Doesn't sound like they're 100% confident the new TPE franchise will start on 1st April 2016.

The last sentence of the release confirms the deal between DRS and Northern has been signed.

Last edited by a moderator:

thealexweb

No commitment to maintain capacity between Manchester and Preston? Some services currently formed of six car 185s are being replaced with four car 156s from May.

pemma

Veteran Member
Is that really that much of a reduction in standard class seats?

Depending on the type of 156s loaned out, it could be up to 24 less seats.

Some of us on here will remember when the claim was made 3 car 185s replacing 4 car 220s won't be an issue because there are only 5 less standard class seats. However, with less First Class seats that increased the number of standard class passengers. While there was growth on the route as well, which also increased the number of standard class passengers.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I also won't dispute standing room will be less and 1st will be seriously annoyed. Not sure how much 1st trade the route gets. Always seems reasonable between Preston and Manchester. (But I am using a +connections ticket)

alexl92

Established Member
I think it means upgrade ticket gates at Huddersfield to take smart card tickets. Currently they only take standard orange rail tickets.

As a regular user, they just need to be scrapped. Pain in the a**

bnm

Established Member
Of the ten franchises up for re-tendering during this parliament, only three have actually completed the process - London, Tilbury & Southend (c2c), Thameslink, Southern & Great Northern (Govia Thameslink Railway) and Intercity East Coast (Virgin Trains East Coast). One of those three was a re-privatisation. The remaining seven have all been gifted extensions regardless of performance. They are:

• Greater Anglia (Abellio Greater Anglia). Due to end July 2014, extended to 15th October 2016
  • East Midlands (East Midlands Trains). Due to end 31 March 2015, extended to 14 October 2017.
  • Greater Western (First Great Western). Due to end March 2013 (after First Group's decision to exercise the contract break clause), extend three times(!) to March 2019.
  • Transpennine (First Transpennine Express). Due to end 31st January 2012, extended twice to April 2016.
  • Northern (Northern Rail). Due to end September 2013, extended to 4th February 2016.
  • Integrated Kent (Southeastern). Due to end 31st March 2014, extended to June 2018.
  • Intercity West Coast (Virgin Trains). Due to end 8th December 2012, extended twice to 31st March 2017.

That's a great advertisement for the UK's brand of rail privatisation. Not.

Remind me again. What is rail franchising for?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
aren't there already gates at Huddersfield?

I think it means upgrade ticket gates at Huddersfield to take smart card tickets. Currently they only take standard orange rail tickets.

This (acceptance of "Mcards") was promised some time ago. I did notice on Thursday afternoon that the barriers had new stickers applied saying that a software upgrade to read Mcards was coming soon. It's ridiculous how long it's taken, considering that even smaller bus operators in the Heavy Woollen District have had smart ticket machines for months now.

As a regular user, they just need to be scrapped. Pain in the a**

As an Mcard holder passing through the gates at Huddersfield regularly, I agree that in their present state (and with present staffing) they're a real pain in the proverbial.

Even if the Mcard acceptance is coming (and I'll believe it when I see it!), the ineptitude of the gateline staff has to be seen to be believed. I've lost count of the times I've seen gateline staff standing the wrong side of the barriers, so they have to reach across the front of the person they're letting through. Additionally why, given that during the day 5 trains an hour disgorge dozens of passengers each plus the 5 locals, are the gateline staff staring at the walls/their phones/each other/the bread stall!(delete as appropriate)?

In their defence (and in the interests of balance), passengers could help by not going to the manned barriers when they have a regular ticket, by learning to queue, not trying to exit through an entry barrier, etc., etc.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I also won't dispute standing room will be less and 1st will be seriously annoyed. Not sure how much 1st trade the route gets.

I will throw my hat into the ring when the matter of First Class travel is concerned as both my wife and I use this facility of First TPE on our journeys. We find it useful especially on those longer distance services that they operate.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A deal that promises absolutely nothing at all that shouldn't already have been done (or in some cases already has been done). Welcome to the zombie franchise!

Anyone with half a brain can see that a LOT more people will fit in a 6 car 185 than a 4 car 156. Primarily because the doors are so narrow people won't move down.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Anyone with half a brain can see that a LOT more people will fit in a 6 car 185 than a 4 car 156. Primarily because the doors are so narrow people won't move down.

Might be an idea for a sheepdog to be provided on each 156 operated service to control the flock & get them moving down. Come-Bye :lol:

pemma

Veteran Member
Might be an idea for a sheepdog to be provided on each 156 operated service to control the flock & get them moving down. Come-Bye :lol:

But then you've got the issue on a northbound train of the standing Bolton passengers getting in the way of the Salford Crescent passengers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I will throw my hat into the ring when the matter of First Class travel is concerned

Is that a bowler hat? ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
From my limited experience of travelling between Preston and Manchester, 4x 156 will be fine off peak (lets hope they don't do 1x 156 however). In the peak all bets are off anyway and I have seen 6 coach trains crush loaded as far as Bolton.

Question to the more local people, how much difference as the train via Wigan made? I typically travel North on a heading to Scotland so they lot people heading to at least Lancaster.

pemma

Veteran Member
From my limited experience of travelling between Preston and Manchester, 4x 156 will be fine off peak (lets hope they don't do 1x 156 however). In the peak all bets are off anyway and I have seen 6 coach trains crush loaded as far as Bolton.

I think the biggest problem will be:

17:14 Oxford Road to Windermere (3 car 185)
17:29 Manchester Airport to Blackpool & Barrow (6 car 185 splitting at Preston)

instead becoming:

17:09 Oxford Road to Barrow (3 car 185)
17:29 Manchester Airport to Blackpool & Barrow (4 car 156 splitting at Preston)

Failed Unit

Established Member
From my experience of the 1700 Manchester Airport - Glasgow, the 1729 will be a major issue. Some passengers may try and move onto the 1700 (or 1800 for that matter) but I can't see enough to make an impact on the following service. Most will have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.