• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New East Linton Station - Progress & Updates

Gaelan

View attachment 145680
Hearing the opening date prompted me to make this meme - I wonder if it's not a coincidence and NR/DFT now have designated station opening periods? :lol:
Thanet Parkway 31 July, Portway Park & Ride August 1
Brent Cross West 10 Dec, East Linton 11 Dec

Image: If I had a nickel for every time 2 railway stations opened within a day of each other this year I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.
December 10 is the twice-yearly timetable change, so it's natural to introduce new stops then. Not sure about Thanet/Portway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
December 10 is the twice-yearly timetable change, so it's natural to introduce new stops then. Not sure about Thanet/Portway.
The stops will have been in unadvertised for some time before a station opens, to allow driver familiarisation and a bit of a dry run. So I'd argue Thanet/Portway being a couple of months after the May timetable is more natural than one being right on the dot of a TT Change.

InOban

Established Member
The Scotrail press release about the new timetable says that while the additional calls at Wallyford start from the timetable change, the calls at East Linton will start when the station opens, implying that if won't be ready then.

Kingston Dan

What is the population of the area that is served by East Linton station?
Just under 2,000 in East Linton itself, but several smaller villages around there - Athelstaneford, Traprain, Tyninghame, East Fortune etc. East Lothian is the fastest growing local authority in Scotland with +10% growth since 2011. Lots of desirable homes 30 minutes from the capital city.

hibtastic

The TPE services appear to be loaded now giving East Linton the attached schedule from Monday 11th December:

1699355825632.png

Last edited:

hibtastic

A very large gap in the Edinburgh arrivals in the peak won’t encourage regular use!

Yeah a gap between 1742 and 2228 is not ideal for trains heading to Edinburgh from East Linton is not ideal. Hopefully this can be plugged in the future with an additional Scotrail Dunbar service. On the whole though the schedule isn't too bad (this gap aside).

The exile

Established Member
I was referring to the morning peak with no arrival between 7-ish and Hal past eight.

zwk500

Veteran Member
A very large gap in the Edinburgh arrivals in the peak won’t encourage regular use!
Presumably it's seen as a necessary sacrifice as stopping trains at East Linton in the peak would have adverse impacts on other services with a lot more people on them.

Acfb

It will be very interesting to know this because the fare from Dunbar to Edinburgh is going up by about 5% on 11 June, so it will likely open an enormous rebooking anomaly. It wouldn't make much sense for ScotRail to set it more than a few pence over the existing North Berwick fare, as I understand the Scottish Government isn't sanctioning any rises for now on ScotRail-set prices.

Just had a look at off peak return fares for Mon 11th December and Edinburgh to East Linton is cheaper (£9.60) than Musselburgh to East Linton (£9.90) or Wallyford to East Linton (£10.00).

Edvid

Established Member
Opening date announced as 13 December by Network Rail.

Friday 17 Nov 2023

Date announced for opening of new station at East Linton​

Region & Route: Scotland’s Railway: Scotland
Network Rail has completed the construction of East Linton station.

The new £15m facility is undergoing the final stages of testing and commissioning – with rail services set to call from Wednesday, 13 December 2023.

Sitting on the East Coast Main Line, the new station has two platforms, 114 car parking spaces, including blue badge priority parking, and 18 electric vehicle charging points.

It’s fully accessible with lifts and a new footbridge connecting both platforms, with access for pedestrians and cyclists.

Commuters will be able to connect into Edinburgh Waverley, with direct access to the East Coast Main Line also available for services to Dunbar and Newcastle.

Completion of work on the new station represents the delivery of a significant investment by the Scottish Government that is expected to support economic growth in the area by enabling residents access to an expanded range of employment and leisure options.

Alex Hynes, Managing Director of Scotland’s Railway, said: “We are incredibly excited that the construction of East Linton station is now complete and, in a matter of a few weeks, passengers will be able to board a train at East Linton for the first time in 59 years.

“The project team has worked hard to deliver this new station, which will expand the rail network and connect Scotland’s Railway to new communities.”

Fiona Hyslop, Transport Minister, said: “It is fantastic news that, in less than a month, rail services will call at East Linton station for the first time in almost six decades.

“This is clear evidence of this Scottish Government’s commitment to investing in rail, as well as encouraging modal shift from car to public transport as we seek to build a greener future as part of our ambitious Net Zero targets.”

Huw Jones, Executive Director, BAM said: “It’s great to once again be playing our part in restoring rail services to a small town which has been denied them for many decades. East Linton is in a popular location with a growing population, so this station will offer residents old and new a more sustainable, cleaner travel option.

“BAM has a proud history of restoring rail connections and delivering new stations in Scotland and we’re very proud to have done so successfully once again in East Linton.

“Thank you to our team for their incredible efforts and the local residents for their patience and consideration throughout construction.”

Passenger services at East Linton will be provided by ScotRail between Edinburgh and Dunbar and TransPennine Express between Edinburgh, Reston and Newcastle, offering wider connections to the railway network.

East Lothian Council Leader, Norman Hampshire, said: “The completion of East Linton Station is a very exciting milestone for the local community. Having invested in the project, East Lothian Council believes the new station will deliver significant benefits to the local area.

“People living and working in the area are eagerly anticipating the return of passenger services to East Linton after so long. The sight of the first service to call at the station will undoubtedly be a memorable and special occasion.

“With East Lothian being one of Scotland’s fastest growing areas, the new station will enhance public transport connections as well as benefiting the economy.”

Notes to Editors​

The new station at East Linton includes:
  • Two new 158m long, 4m wide station platforms and associated furniture (waiting shelters, seating and ticket machines).
  • A new footbridge crosses the railway, incorporating lift shafts and stairs on either side.
  • Lighting columns throughout the site and associated infrastructure/ equipment including CCTV.
  • Car park, bus stop with shelter and a drop-off space.
  • 114 parking spaces including blue badge priority parking and 18 electric vehicle charging points. We have built in capacity to add further electric vehicle charging points when required.
  • Cycle storage facilities.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Just under 2,000 in East Linton itself, but several smaller villages around there - Athelstaneford, Traprain, Tyninghame, East Fortune etc. East Lothian is the fastest growing local authority in Scotland with +10% growth since 2011. Lots of desirable homes 30 minutes from the capital city.
Ought to be useful to Haddington being just over 5miles down the road.

rapmastaj

Ought to be useful to Haddington being just over 5miles down the road.
Mainly for trains to Berwick, Newcastle and beyond I'd imagine. The buses from Edinburgh to Haddington are every 15 minutes, with half continuing to Dunbar, so it's going to be very hard for an irregular rail service to compete with that.

Acfb

I can't imagine people driving 5 miles in the wrong direction to catch the train. There's an express bus every 30 minutes.

Yes, I agree, the X7 is an excellent bus service for all the new housing at the western end of Haddington which only takes 15-20 minutes to get the Jewel and 35-40 minutes to Edinburgh city centre. If people from Haddington want the train to Edinburgh they will use Drem, Longniddry or even Wallyford.

East Linton will be useful to Haddington residents who want to travel southbound to Berwick or Newcastle etc on TPE though as the access will be better than Dunbar coming from Haddington. £2.70 return from East Linton to Dunbar is also cheaper than the bus. i.e £4 so I can see people switching from the bus to the train there.

I'm cautiously optimistic that East Linton will do reasonably well (maybe matching Kintore's numbers) although perhaps a lot more for off peak Leisure trips from East Linton to Dunbar and Edinburgh as the lack of morning peak trains might be inconvenient so some East Linton residents might continue to use the 8am train from Drem.

Tormod

I am looking forward to going to the two Real ale bars and coming back with some of the Linton Butcher's pies.

Acfb

Went to East Linton again this afternoon and explored the village side of the station again. Station still fenced off on that side and the paths not complete (not looking much different from in the Spring) which surprised me seeing as the car park side seems complete from all the Network Rail pictures on twitter.

Attachments

• 20231126_143327.jpg
    20231126_143327.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) has authorised into service the new East Linton railway station ahead of its expected opening on 13 December.
ORR has worked alongside Network Rail throughout the project to ensure that the station meets expected standards for passengers.
The new station is on the East Coast Main Line with connections to Edinburgh Waverly, Dunbar, Newcastle and more.
Many of the £15 million East Linton station’s elements – including its two platforms, lifts, footbridge, and things we may take for granted like lighting and other electricals, have been verified by ORR to ensure they are safe to enter into service and offer a good experience to passengers. This has enabled a quick authorisation ahead of the station’s opening.
ORR authorises new railway stations like East Linton as part of its duty to authorise new, major, upgraded or renewed infrastructure and rolling stock, ensuring they are safe for passengers.
Steve Fletcher, Deputy Director of Engineering and Asset Management at ORR, said:
This new railway station is a really significant upgrade for the local community and we have been working closely with the team at Network Rail to ensure the station is completed safely and to the standard passengers deserve.
ORR plays a vital role in enforcing common rules and standards on the nation’s railway infrastructure. We’re pleased to have played our part in the opening of this station.

Another hurdle overcome for East Linton.

Acfb

The 5.29am train to East Linton (i.e. what is presumably the first train to East Linton) seems to have disappeared from the booking engines again which is strange. I could have sworn it was on the LNER one earlier, at least briefly. It's not coming up on the TPE one either (when you put in Edinburgh to Dunbar for that service ,the train is there but doesn't say calling at East Linton) but is there from Thursday 14th onwards. I haven't decided whether I want to attempt getting the first ever train or not.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The 5.29am train to East Linton (i.e. what is presumably the first train to East Linton) seems to have disappeared from the booking engines again which is strange. I could have sworn it was on the LNER one earlier, at least briefly. It's not coming up on the TPE one either (when you put in Edinburgh to Dunbar for that service ,the train is there but doesn't say calling at East Linton) but is there from Thursday 14th onwards. I haven't decided whether I want to attempt getting the first ever train or not.
Not showing up on RTT either.

dan4291

It is in RTT but for some reason doesn't list East Linton as a calling point.

hibtastic

Aren't there fewer trains on the first day?

Is it because there is some kind of event for the opening of the station to meet the first Edinburgh bound train?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Isn’t there less trains on the first day? Is it because there is some kind of event for the opening for the station to meet the first Edinburgh bound train?
That sounds like the situation for the opening of Inverness Airport, an invitation only non-public call on the official opening day. Contrast and compare with the fanfare for Brent Cross West.

hibtastic

I think the first Edinburgh bound train is around 1108 and this will be the one with the fanfare. The local school kids are doing something for the opening too.

The first train will actually be the 1039 to Dunbar (1010 from Edinburgh) though or so I’m led to believe.

Full timetable from the 14th December.

H&I

Is 2D86, the 11:01 from Dunbar to Edinburgh going to be the first train that calls at East Linton? The previous two trains which call at East Linton at 06:57 and 10:33 have both got ”VAR” under STP in realtimetrains. However, if I click on the service which calls at 10:33, it does not say that the East Linton call is “stop unadvertised”