• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New East Linton Station - Progress & Updates

Is 2D86, the 11:01 from Dunbar to Edinburgh going to be the first train that calls at East Linton? The previous two trains which call at East Linton at 06:57 and 10:33 have both got ”VAR” under STP in realtimetrains. However, if I click on the service which calls at 10:33, it does not say that the East Linton call is “stop unadvertised”
Station opens tomorrow with first Edinburgh train at 0657.according to RTT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Station opens tomorrow with first Edinburgh train at 0657.according to RTT.
RTT shows that as an unadvertised stop, and sources like BRtimes and TOC apps don’t show it at all. The train may physically stop but I wouldn’t expect the station to be open.

Acfb

I've just booked the 14.10 TPE service from Edinburgh tomorrow ( for £5.20) and then intend get the X7 back via Haddington afterwards so I can go to the Falko bakery again.

I am broadly happy with the TPE fares - £4.90 advance single (now £5.20 for tomorrow) and £8 return are fine although I'm surprised at the lack of promotion of this station by TPE compared to Reston (given it should be more successful and them being the only operator on a Sunday). It's as if they feel they already have plenty of passengers travelling between Edinburgh and Dunbar and aren't bothered.

The other issue IMO is Scotrail's lack of advanced single fares and return fares being slightly higher (£10) than the TPE fares and the fares from North Berwick/Drem to Edinburgh.

I understand the timetable given lack of ECML capacity just don't understand the rationale for the Scotrail fares.

Arguably it wouldn't be a bad thing if people switched from Drem and North Berwick to East Linton (as opposed to 'new' demand from East Linton) as it will free up seats for Longniddry, Prestonpans, Wallyford and Musselburgh passengers where I reckon there is loads of suppressed demand.

rower40

2D85 tomorrow (Wed 13th) would appear to be the opening ceremony train. It calls at 1033, departing at 1039. Whereas the same train on Thursday (and thenceforth) departs at 1034. Six minutes should be enough to get the bagpipes tuned up for a rendition of "Flower of Scotland" or similar.

H&I

RTT shows that as an unadvertised stop, and sources like BRtimes and TOC apps don’t show it at all. The train may physically stop but I wouldn’t expect the station to be open.
What does that mean? If I show up at the station at 06:30 could I still board the train? Is it worth setting out to go there so early?

Gaelan

What does that mean? If I show up at the station at 06:30 could I still board the train? Is it worth setting out to go there so early?
I would strongly suspect not, but others may know better. I’m aiming for the 10:33.

zwk500

Veteran Member
If a stop is unadvertised the train may not stop at all, or may not release its doors, or may only release a single door to be despatched immediately. Boarding would be entirely dependent on whether the guard released all doors, or was in a charitable mood if you asked them at their door.

hibtastic

A big crowd and lots of cheering when the train arrived and departed. Great turn out from the people of East Linton. Fantastic.

vic-rijrode

A big crowd and lots of cheering when the train arrived and departed. Great turn out from the people of East Linton. Fantastic.
... and the local dignitaries retiring to the local hostelry for a cold collation and interminable speeches wishing the new station prosperity and long life? Any bunting hung from the village houses?

Acfb

They are handing out goodybags on the TPE train right now presumably because it's the first Edinburgh-Newcastle service to call. Tunnocks Marshmallow is a bit squashed. Nearly there. Most people in coach A going to Alnmouth or Newcastle.

hibtastic

802210 named Hailes Castle to celebrate opening of station.

To mark the historic opening, TPE renamed its first service to stop at the station, ‘Hailes Castle’, after the ruin of the nearby fortified manor dating back to the 1200s, associated with the Wars of Independence and Mary Queen of Scots.

Chris was joined at the arrival of TPE’s 11.52am service by Rachel Sydeserff, Historic Environment Scotland’s District Visitor and Community Manager for South Region.

Rachel said: “We’re delighted that such a wonderful and symbolic local landmark has been used for the naming of the first TPE service into East Linton train station.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acfb

802210 named Hailes Castle to celebrate opening of station.

Yes, I took a picture of that along with others. I was also able to meet Geoff Marshall and briefly talk to him before he left on the 14.37 train. I was also able to talk to another youtuber Roger Edwards. I didn't spend too long there as it was getting cold and I might come back again on Saturday.

Attachments

• 20231213_143743.jpg
    20231213_143743.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • 20231213_142953.jpg
    20231213_142953.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 94
  • 20231213_143027.jpg
    20231213_143027.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
  • 20231213_143958.jpg
    20231213_143958.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 20231213_144302.jpg
    20231213_144302.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 20231213_145435.jpg
    20231213_145435.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 86
  • 20231213_145718.jpg
    20231213_145718.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 20231213_150042.jpg
    20231213_150042.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 20231213_150143.jpg
    20231213_150143.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Grandnat

Yes, I took a picture of that along with others. I was also able to meet Geoff Marshall and briefly talk to him before he left on the 14.37 train. I was also able to talk to another youtuber Roger Edwards. I didn't spend too long there as it was getting cold and I might come back again on Saturday.
Hello - this is Roger. It was great to meet you and to have a chat. There was definitely a good atmosphere even though I got there well after the crowds.

I imagine there’ll be quite a few vlogs from Geoff and others so I probably won’t rush mine out - I can’t really compete! Ha ha!

och aye

A video from Scotland's Railway:

Scotland's Railway - New East Linton station opens for passengers​

693 views Premiered on 13 Dec 2023 EAST LINTON
What a day we've had at East Linton. After 59 years, the railway returned today. Great to see the local community embracing Scotland’s Railway in huge numbers. Thank you!

Transcript

0:02
hello I'm Alex Hines managing director
0:04
of Scotland's Railway today I'm in East
0:07
Linton East loan with the Scottish
0:09
government's transport Minister Fiona
0:11
Hislop we're here to celebrate the
0:13
opening of the new station and the
0:15
introduction of Scot Rail and trans
0:17
penine Express services to and from East
0:20
Linton station from today commuters will
0:22
be able to travel into Edinburgh wav and
0:24
have direct access to the east coast
0:26
Mainline for services to Dumar and baric
0:29
upon Tweed and Newcastle this1 million
0:32
pound station is part of the Scottish
0:34
government's ongoing investment program
0:36
in Scotland's Railway connecting
0:38
communities to Opportunities and in the
0:40
case of East Linton turning back time
0:43
and reconnecting it to the railway after
0:45
59 years with an attractive Stressless
0:49
Journey time to Edinburgh of around an
0:51
average of 22 minutes as opposed to over
0:53
40 minutes by car in the off peak I
0:56
expect these new services to be very
0:58
popular today is is another Scotland's
1:00
Railway success story this is our third
1:03
new station and services in the last 18
1:06
months...

Grandnat

I made a short vlog about my visit to East Linton on opening day:

328 views 14 Dec 2023 EAST LINTON
Join me on an historic day. The opening day of the BRAND NEW East Linton Station in East Lothian, Scotland. It's like a Phoenix rising again. A rebirth. 60 years after Doctor Beeching binned it, East Linton is back. We'll explore new station and have look for the remains of the old one.Yes it's still there to be found. This is very exciting for East Lothian and the community giving them rail access to Newcastle and to Edinburgh and beyond.
Transcript
0:00
Well this doesn't happen every day, but today here in East Lothian in Scotland a brand new
0:06
train station is opening, it's called East Linton and that's where we're going to go and explore
0:11
today. But there's another first, I'm here at Wallyford station and for the first time ever the
0:17
Edinburgh to Dunbar train is going to stop here at Wallyford and at that new station at East Linton
0:24
so it's win-win for me. There we go 1428 to Dunbar calling East Linton and
0:36
Dunbar and here it comes only the second Dunbar train to stop at Wallyford let's get on board
1:06
Well I think I'm the only person on this train and the announcer just said this
1:11
train is for Dunbar and the next stop is Dunbar. Well I hope it's the fact
1:16
that they've just got the announcements wrong and they are actually going to stop at East Linton...

route101

Established Member
I've just booked the 14.10 TPE service from Edinburgh tomorrow ( for £5.20) and then intend get the X7 back via Haddington afterwards so I can go to the Falko bakery again.

I am broadly happy with the TPE fares - £4.90 advance single (now £5.20 for tomorrow) and £8 return are fine although I'm surprised at the lack of promotion of this station by TPE compared to Reston (given it should be more successful and them being the only operator on a Sunday). It's as if they feel they already have plenty of passengers travelling between Edinburgh and Dunbar and aren't bothered.

The other issue IMO is Scotrail's lack of advanced single fares and return fares being slightly higher (£10) than the TPE fares and the fares from North Berwick/Drem to Edinburgh.

I understand the timetable given lack of ECML capacity just don't understand the rationale for the Scotrail fares.

Arguably it wouldn't be a bad thing if people switched from Drem and North Berwick to East Linton (as opposed to 'new' demand from East Linton) as it will free up seats for Longniddry, Prestonpans, Wallyford and Musselburgh passengers where I reckon there is loads of suppressed demand.
Why is there advance fares for such a short journey? Surely you want some flexibility on a day out to Edinburgh.

Looks like some teething issues with the new station already, passed by there today and appears to be flooding across the new access path to the north end of platform 2 coming from nearby field

So what exactly is "Scotland's Railway" as an organisation?

Who we are​

Scotland’s Railway today is a dynamic collaboration of Government and rail industry partners working together to deliver the safe, timeous and high quality railway that Scotland expects and deserves.

Our partners include:

• ScotRail Alliance (ScotRail and Network Rail)
  • Serco Caledonian Sleeper Ltd
  • Office of Rail and Road
  • cross border rail operators
  • rail supply chain.

What is

Scotland's Railway​

Scotland’s Railway is a group made up of around 150 different organisations and suppliers from across the rail industry in Scotland, who believe a better railway for Scotland is possible. Read on to find out more about who we are, what we’re doing and how changes to Scotland’s Railway will benefit you.

alexf380

Established Member
Could anyone please confirm the milage from Edinburgh to East Linton? RailMiles hasn't been updated yet so show the new station.
Thanks in advance.

louis97

Established Member
Could anyone please confirm the milage from Edinburgh to East Linton? RailMiles hasn't been updated yet so show the new station.
Thanks in advance.
23 miles 11 chains. 5 miles 74 chains from Dunbar, 5 miles 31 chains from Drem.

Acfb

Went to East Linton again today. Got the 1211 Dunbar bound service outbound (385029 - which had come in from North Berwick and amusingly wasn't announcing East Linton at all) and came back on the 1437 TPE (which was about 4 minutes late).

The station itself is broadly doing its job as planned (most people waiting were in the adequately sized waiting shelters as it was wet and windy) but I do have a few minor suggestions etc to do with access etc. I think there should be direct access to the path which goes through the dingy underpass at the western end of the station. I'm not sure why they don't open up the emergency stairs? Also, a slightly more direct route to The Mart would be great. Also flooding is still very bad at the field at the end of platform 2 with some drainage issues on the other side of underpass too.

I find it odd that the station is geared so much towards the car park side (although perhaps this is the station's major selling point over Dunbar for people who live in North Berwick/Haddington etc and want to travel southbound even if they must change and makes up for the inferior train service) and that the access for pedestrians is not as open as it could be. The way it more or less funnels people over the footbridge to access platform 2 is not ideal as everyone coming from the village side on foot might be waiting for the lift at the same time in future if the station ever gets really busy.

I was there myself again this morning, I was also wondering if the passenger figures produced in the future will be an accurate reflection considering its cheaper to buy a transpennine ticket from Dunbar instead

ian1944

Had a look today. There is zero indication from the B1407 (old old A1) through the village, which is poor. The station does not make a good pedestrian route between sides, as the track is above ground level so there are a lot of stairs, first to the platform then to the bridge. The track further east at the old station is below ground level, so the footbridge there is much easier.

hibtastic

I was there myself again this morning, I was also wondering if the passenger figures produced in the future will be an accurate reflection considering its cheaper to buy a transpennine ticket from Dunbar instead

Anecdotal I know but from what I saw last week when I was up there is that the ScotRail services are popular given TPE’s reliability problems. I used the 1108 a number of times to get into Edinburgh and there was always a large number of people on the platform.

I did use a TPE to get home one day and it was full and standing with a decent crowd alighting at East Linton but most staying on for stations further south.

Just a shame ScotRail don’t run to East Linton on Sundays but hopefully that changes in the future and some of the larger gaps in try weekday timetables are filled.

It’s pretty annoying that on a Saturday night the train after 11pm from Edinburgh doesn’t run either (it’s Monday to Friday only). I’m sure it would be popular. Beggars can’t be choosers though and I’m just delighted there is a train station again.