• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Malden station Customer Information Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Why do the central islands at New Malden have Customer Information Screens.

Aee they considering bringing the platforms back into use at some point. Currently fast services go through it.

Does anyone know when the platforms were last used? The people changing the advertising posters use it but is overgrown with grass and gravel so definitely not good enough for passenger use.

In an emergency I don't know if they could detrajn there. Suspect not.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
Why do the central islands at New Malden have Customer Information Screens.

Aee they considering bringing the platforms back into use at some point. Currently fast services go through it.

Does anyone know when the platforms were last used? The people changing the advertising posters use it but is overgrown with grass and gravel so definitely not good enough for passenger use.

In an emergency I don't know if they could detrajn there. Suspect not.

I don't know about the CIS but I wouldn't think there is any likelihood of them being bought back into use, probably not even suitable for emergency use anymore.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't know about the CIS but I wouldn't think there is any likelihood of them being bought back into use, probably not even suitable for emergency use anymore.
Seems odd then to have the CIS. They are not the old fashioned disused CIS either. May be they felt staff working from the platform needed a clock and that was the best way. I can't think of any other reason to put a CIS there.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I think it is in case of emergency conditions requiring the use of the platform, but I would have thought it not worth providing them when staff would presumably be available to advise in such circumstances. NM used to be my home station from age 0 to 22, and I remember that there used to be the odd scheduled trains that called at the fast platform, but I don't remember there being any finger boards for them!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
With all the alterations planned on the SW Main Line it may be that there is a possibility of them being brought back into use within the 10 year or so lifespan of the CIS. Somebody may have decided it was better to equip them from the start rather than getting the contractors back at extra cost to add more display later.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The platforms were still available for use when the CIS was fitted, I have an SWT internal document showing platform availability dating from 2006, and all 4 platforms at New Malden are shown as available, only the Esher and Walton fasts on that route are specifically marked 'not in use'.

There's also a few previous threads about fast line platforms on that stretch, in this one from 2009, a chap posts that New Malden is capable of use at that time: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28839

Looking at a few threads about this it would appear some SWT staff have different opinions...

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
I think it was deemed not worthwhile installing lifts on the island platform, and understandably so, and so it was taken out of use?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies. Interesting.

I thought the platform inductors were rather recent but probably my mind playing tricks or the passage of time being faster than I imagine!

Midmat

Platforms were in relatively good condition 5+ years ago (the CIS has been there since at least 2004 I think) despite clearly not being in a state for regular use. Nothing's been done to them in the past few years so are increasingly overgrown/being broken up by vegetation/natural wear.

There seems to be no new proposed stops for fast trains at New Malden in the new SW franchise tender doc (nor would I expect any) but assume the platforms will just stay as is until Crossrail 2 comes when they will need to be replaced with new tracks. If any CIS/lighting breaks in the meantime though, I assume they will decide to remove it.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I have stopped there in service a few times with Hampton Court's, usually on a Sunday or evenings when things are quieter, but the one thing you have to make certain of is that the subway doors are unlocked otherwise you have the possibility of leaving passengers marooned on there.:lol:

MotCO

Established Member
My parents used to commute from New Malden (as I did many years ago), and I recall them remarking upon steam train services that used to call at the central platforms. I assume that this was when they were last in regular use.

bavvo

I spent the first 25 years of my life living there, and only used the centre platform twice, both for emergency engineering works of some kind. Didn't seem dangerous, more of a novelty. There was a photo I saw of it in the 'old days' with an actual small waiting room and canopy, but that must have been demolished long before my time.

Smod

I remember alighting from a train at the centre platforms of New Malden some years ago. I was travelling on a 159 which developed a fault (fuel leak?) and had to teminate at New Malden. At the time the platform was just about adequate but it has become more overgrown since then.

MotCO

Established Member
Does anyone know what the problem was at New Malden on the morning of Friday 14 October? Trains from London were not stopping at New Malden, and local radio said that there was a broken down train there. If true, then I assume that the island platform is definitely not in use, or surely the trains would have stopped there.

Looking at RealTimeTrains, the 0706 Waterloo to Hampton Court was cancelled between New Malden and Hampton Court due to a problem with the brakes. As was the 0711 Waterloo to Sheperton with exactly the same reason. As was the 0727 Waterloo to Waterloo via Kingston. Can anyone explain this?

causton

Established Member
Looking at RealTimeTrains, the 0706 Waterloo to Hampton Court was cancelled between New Malden and Hampton Court due to a problem with the brakes. As was the 0711 Waterloo to Sheperton with exactly the same reason. As was the 0727 Waterloo to Waterloo via Kingston. Can anyone explain this?

The initial reports were that the driver could not release the brakes from the front cab. It looks like they could release the brakes from a middle cab, but the train moved a short distance before failing again.

And as you said, the 3 trains above:
JourneyCheck said:
2J09 0706 Waterloo - Hampton Court has been cancelled.
2H09 0712 London Waterloo - Shepperton is trapped behind 2J09 running 25 minutes late
2K09 0727 London Waterloo - London Waterloo is trapped behind 2H09 running 10 minutes late

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If true, then I assume that the island platform is definitely not in use, or surely the trains would have stopped there.

Not really practicable. It would have delayed all the fast trains more than they already were.

Status
Not open for further replies.