• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mills Central landslip - 6 week closure

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

billh

Seen yesterday , was the Dow Low to Ashburys aggregates train , diverted via Hazel Grove, Stockport and Denton instead of New Mills , Guide Bridge ,Ashburys.
This had the train top and tailed with 66s presume because no easy run round at Ashburys as the train arrives there from the opposite direction to normal? The return empties normally run this route, so no change, except for being T &T.

BingMan

I don't know if you're local, but a lot of the roads are horrifically narrow, and plenty of turns too tight for buses too (as well as low bridges to consider near Chinley/Buxworth).
For example, look at this turn at Bridgemont (between Furness Vale and Whaley Bridge), on one of the routes between Chinley and New Mills Central:
A6/B6062 junction Bridgemont

Or this turn coming onto the A6 from the centre of New Mills:
A6 New Mills Newtown

Low bridge on the north side of Chinley (on the A624 route Google has given you): A624 New Smithy/Chinley
High Peak's service buses cope with these road features without problem.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Seen yesterday , was the Dow Low to Ashburys aggregates train , diverted via Hazel Grove, Stockport and Denton instead of New Mills , Guide Bridge ,Ashburys.
This had the train top and tailed with 66s presume because no easy run round at Ashburys as the train arrives there from the opposite direction to normal? The return empties normally run this route, so no change, except for being T &T.
The return empties use the shorter ex-LNWR route from Hazel Grove to Buxton via New Mills Newtown. I believe the gradient up to Dove Holes is too steep for the loaded train to use this line in the other direction, hence the loop around on the ex-Midland route from Buxton to Hazel Grove via Chinley.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The return empties use the shorter ex-LNWR route from Hazel Grove to Buxton via New Mills Newtown. I believe the gradient up to Dove Holes is too steep for the loaded train to use this line in the other direction, hence the loop around on the ex-Midland route from Buxton to Hazel Grove via Chinley.
Is that route only allowed for goods since they rebuilt the brige over the (old) A6 at Whaley Bridge?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Is that route only allowed for goods since they rebuilt the brige over the (old) A6 at Whaley Bridge?
No, Whaley Bridge is on the passenger route to Buxton.
I think it's only the occasional goods service that way that though.
High Peak's service buses cope with these road features without problem.
Unfortunately, Northern's RRB contractor don't use High Peak, it's often a contractor from elsewhere, who may not be aware of the local restrictions.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Even before the Whaley Bridge bridge was rebuilt, the empties returning from Ashburys used to go that way. I think there might have been a prohibition on regular use by loaded freights, but in any case the FOCs only use that line for loaded trains if the Peak Forest line is blocked.

BingMan

Even before the Whaley Bridge bridge was rebuilt, the empties returning from Ashburys used to go that way. I think there might have been a prohibition on regular use by loaded freights, but in any case the FOCs only use that line for loaded trains if the Peak Forest line is blocked.
I think that there was a severe speed restriction for loaded trains over the bridge before it was upgraded. I remember watching freight trains trundling through at walking pace.

8stewartt

I think that there was a severe speed restriction for loaded trains over the bridge before it was upgraded. I remember watching freight trains trundling through at walking pace.
I don’t sign HG to Buxton direct but I’m sure on the 3973 it was something minimal like 5mph. The freight speed the whole way is not much more than 25 or 30, although it’s still quicker than going via Chinley/Peak.
the only reason you don’t often see loaded coming out that way is because you can’t do it without shunting. To get from Dowlow or Peak, you have to go into the URS, then set back all the way into the station, then head out towards Furness Vale, starting off from the base of a steep gradient.

palmersears

Established Member
Plus, there aren't many current flows out of Dowlow/Hindlow/Hillhead that would want to go via Stockport. All bar the Ashburys traffic want to go towards Crewe, which would mean a reversal at Ash Bridge Junction or Longsight Loop.

If there was a chord at Hazel Grove High Level Junction so traffic could head towards Northenden Junction then imagine it'd be a different story.

Killingworth

Established Member
Any news on progress to resolve this?

National Rail website implies reopening no earlier than Tuesday 7th May, and possibly much later. Previous comments suggest that is indeed optimistic, see; https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/romiley-20240325/

There were allegedly no available fast paths into Manchester via Stockport for a 3rd fast service after the Hope Valley Capacity work was completed but they seem to have found one for this diversion. Of course it's at the expense of the second hourly stopping service from New Mills Central, but these temporary diversions sometimes find a life of their own!

Greybeard33

Established Member
There were allegedly no available fast paths into Manchester via Stockport for a 3rd fast service after the Hope Valley Capacity work was completed but they seem to have found one for this diversion. Of course it's at the expense of the second hourly stopping service from New Mills Central, but these temporary diversions sometimes find a life of their own!
Do temporary diversions like this have to be fully compliant with the normal timetable planning rules?

richfoz84

Any news on progress to resolve this?

National Rail website implies reopening no earlier than Tuesday 7th May, and possibly much later. Previous comments suggest that is indeed optimistic, see; https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/romiley-20240325/

All that’s happened since the closure, is monitoring equipment has been placed at the location. There is no resolution on the horizon (that’s from a Network Rail MOM this morning!) this closure is going to last way longer that predicted!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do temporary diversions like this have to be fully compliant with the normal timetable planning rules?
Yes on paper, but in practice non-compliance can sometimes slip through the net.

Established Member
Boots on the ground and heavy equipment is nearby. But no sign of any resolution.

I wonder if they'll get passenger trains running over it but keep the heavy freight away.

It's not a great situation at all for passengers at the moment.
This mornings 0729 New Mills Central - Piccadilly was 2 vice 4 car and was leaving folk behind at Marple!

BingMan

Sure, the issue with Northern RRBs is that often they just get what they're given. I used to commute on the Buxton line and there was a proper motley collection that turned out whenever the line was shut.
We nearly got stuck on a lane near Dove Holes station with a bus that was significantly oversized for the job.
I took the HP 190 yesterday, a small bus It just managed to squeeze through station road in Chinley. Coming the other way was a huge Andrews coach doing the RRB job. How it dealt with the narrow road don't know

richfoz84

Boots on the ground and heavy equipment is nearby. But no sign of any resolution.

I wonder if they'll get passenger trains running over it but keep the heavy freight away.

It's not a great situation at all for passengers at the moment.
This mornings 0729 New Mills Central - Piccadilly was 2 vice 4 car and was leaving folk behind at Marple!
The problem they have firstly is staff. No where near enough staff on the ground.
And also, not knowing how to fix the “unknown issue” is why we’ve seen no positive steps to resolve, sadly.

Yeah the 7:29 New Mills service was dangerously busy this morning and shouldn’t have been short formed to a 2 car.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I took the HP 190 yesterday, a small bus It just managed to squeeze through station road in Chinley. Coming the other way was a huge Andrews coach doing the RRB job. How it dealt with the narrow road don't know
Andrews are relatively local, so would have been familiar with the backroads used to avoid it, I'm just worried a more distant operator may end up in a difficult position!

stra200

Andrews are relatively local, so would have been familiar with the backroads used to avoid it, I'm just worried a more distant operator may end up in a difficult position!
I had a fun journey with the hope valley rail replacement from Sheffield. The driver got to Hope then panicked about the Chinley low bridges. After much cursing we went on an hour long diversion around Snake Pass, then down to Chinley through the bridges he was trying to avoid anyway!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I had a fun journey with the hope valley rail replacement from Sheffield. The driver got to Hope then panicked about the Chinley low bridges. After much cursing we went on an hour long diversion around Snake Pass, then down to Chinley through the bridges he was trying to avoid anyway!
Northern are better off speaking to High Peak and getting them to run it lol

johnnychips

Established Member

jonnyfan

The timescales on the Northern disruptions page has changed from the 6th May to "disruption is expected until further notice" and "the line is not expected to reopen before the end of May 2024".

I've been told that the land around the landslip is still moving, so until the movement stops, work cannot start to rectify the issue. I can't see the line fully re-opening any time soon.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The timescales on the Northern disruptions page has changed from the 6th May to "disruption is expected until further notice" and "the line is not expected to reopen before the end of May 2024".

I've been told that the land around the landslip is still moving, so until the movement stops, work cannot start to rectify the issue. I can't see the line fully re-opening any time soon.
So, continuing slippage with both the landslip itself and the likely re-opening date? Wonder just when the line will be fully re-open? Even end May is sounding optimistic.

Freightmaster

Established Member
So, continuing slippage with both the landslip itself and the likely re-opening date? Wonder just when the line will be fully re-open? Even end May is sounding optimistic.
By way of comparison, the Eden Brows landslip caused the S+C to be closed for just over a year back in 2016,
but hopefully this won't take quite so long to resolve! o_O

MARK

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Good news for Hazel Grove passengers with the extra service an hour, though strangely the morning service from Sheffield stops neither there nor at Stockport. Midweek that would be a welcome capacity boost for those starting work at 08:30 or 09:00 in Manchester.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Good news for Hazel Grove passengers with the extra service an hour, though strangely the morning service from Sheffield stops neither there nor at Stockport. Midweek that would be a welcome capacity boost for those starting work at 08:30 or 09:00 in Manchester.
Presumably because it can get a fairly clear non-stop path?
Later services in both directions seem to have quite a lot of pathing time or long dwells.