• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mills to Liverpool Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
So there's a chance I'll be changing jobs soon, with work shifting from Manchester to city centre Liverpool. However a straight New Mills Central > Lime Street season is almost four times the price of my current GM Traincard, which is a little off putting! Are there any splitting opportunities to bring the cost down? I would be open to driving a percentage of the way if it brought costs down dramatically as well.

Thoughts and advice welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

palmersears

Established Member
Ok so this is definitely happening now, and I've got a few questions based upon a New Mills Central > Southport (not tied to going via Wigan) season:
  1. Is this the cheapest option?
  2. If so, is this valid via New Mills Newtown (both outbound and return)
  3. Is it valid via both Piccadilly and Victoria?
  4. I assume it will be honoured via Liverpool South Parkway during the Lime Street Blockade?
Many thanks in advance.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Is this the cheapest option?
There may be cheaper options which are valid due to an anomaly, or which we have otherwise missed. With 50 odd million fares and a limited amount of computing power and time available, we can probably never guarantee that this is the absolute cheapest fare. It is, however, cheaper than the through season ticket from New Mills Central (NMC) to Liverpool Lime Street (LIV).

this valid via New Mills Newtown (both outbound and return)
New Mills Newtown (NMN) is excluded as a mapped route by virtue of there being no mapped routes via Stockport for the NMC<>Southport (SOP) season ticket. NMN, unsurprisingly, also does not feature on any route valid by virtue of being up to three miles longer than the shortest route. There may be easements or other factors which make it a valid route, but I can't think of anything right now.

I can't answer the other questions I'm afraid.

palmersears

Established Member
Can I bump this thread again to seek clarification as to whether I can go via both Piccadilly and Victoria? And also as to whether I am allowed to stop short at Liverpool Lime Street (once the blockade is over). I'm being told no to both by National Rail Enquiries which I'm doubting slightly, particularly for the latter question.

Veteran Member
With a Season ticket you can always alight at an intermediate station on a permitted route.
Can't tell you about MCV, not an expert.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can I bump this thread again to seek clarification as to whether I can go via both Piccadilly and Victoria? And also as to whether I am allowed to stop short at Liverpool Lime Street (once the blockade is over). I'm being told no to both by National Rail Enquiries which I'm doubting slightly, particularly for the latter question.
New Mills Central to Southport is valid via Liverpool Lime Street.

Yes you can go via Manchester Victoria & Liverpool Lime Street.

Starting/finishing short is always permitted with Season tickets.

The relevant maps are NR (for travel via Warrington) or NO (for travel via Newton-le-Willows)

tony_mac

Established Member
A ticket to Formby, rather than Southport, may attract fewer comments about taking a longer / slower route.

Status
Not open for further replies.