• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Northern Rail Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPFC#1

Hi all,
I know it's a personal question but is there any Northern conductors who would be prepared to share the salary when you are during the training period and also what the salary goes up to once the training is complete? I am trying to plan the 13 week training period as obviously it is a drop in pay and I need to put my son in full time nursery so could do with knowing how much I'm going to have to live off.
I'm starting my training in April but the recruitment team aren't replying to my emails.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail My Way

I seem to remember at my interview they mentioned £21000 whilst training then goes up to £28000 or £29000 with 5% commission on tickets sold.

Adilol

Hello All;)

I’m starting my Conductor course in Leeds shortly. I’m super stressed about it. I don’t know what to expect. Do we have to pass any exams??? Can someone explain to me how this 12 weeks looks like please.

Regards

MikeB89

I start my conductor training on Monday based in Leeds. Training salary is just over £21k and goes up to £28,250 after 3 months with 3% commission on ticket sales

Adilol

I start my conductor training on Monday based in Leeds. Training salary is just over £21k and goes up to £28,250 after 3 months with 3% commission on ticket sales

I was on that group lol but I moved it until April. Will you let me know what is process and how training looks like

CPFC#1

Thanks a lot for that. That's a great help. Good luck with your training!

MikeB89

I was on that group lol but I moved it until April. Will you let me know what is process and how training looks like
Yes no problem, although I'm assuming the first couple of weeks will be class based learning rules and regs etc before being let loose on a train with a conductor. Could be wrong though!

MikeB89

Thanks a lot for that. That's a great help. Good luck with your training!
Thanks mate. Good luck with your training too! I was meant to be on the April course but it would have meant working a 2 month notice period. Once everything was confirmed I just wanted to get out and start ASAP!

Yorkshire Lad

Hi Mike. Following your first few days of training, how do you feel? I start in April and would be really interested to hear your thoughts. I assume the first day or so is just getting to know the company or is it "full on?" Anyway, all the best :)

MikeB89

Hi Mike. Following your first few days of training, how do you feel? I start in April and would be really interested to hear your thoughts. I assume the first day or so is just getting to know the company or is it "full on?" Anyway, all the best :)
Hi mate. I can honestly say I've never been this excited about a job before. The first week is an introduction to everything in general. Week 2 is where the hard graft starts!

Yorkshire Lad

Hi mate. I can honestly say I've never been this excited about a job before. The first week is an introduction to everything in general. Week 2 is where the hard graft starts!

That's great to hear Mike. I'm leaving a job I've been in for 14+ years so this is really reassuring. All the best! Any news on how to claim travel back for the training period. Its gonna cost me £15+ a day! doh.

MikeB89

That's great to hear Mike. I'm leaving a job I've been in for 14+ years so this is really reassuring. All the best! Any news on how to claim travel back for the training period. Its gonna cost me £15+ a day! doh.
After week one I'm even more exciting for what's to come so that should tell you something :)

As for expenses, you get them back very quickly. If you send the forms back to HR in good time you should get your staff card (that you swipe through the barriers) in the post before your start date so you wouldn't have to buy any tickets. There is 4 people on my course that got their paperwork at the last minute so had to pay for tickets for week 1. HR is in the same building, so if you do have to buy tickets then you will be reimbursed quickly.

Topcat999

That's not bad at all. So is this a progression into driving? Or not related at all? Would it be frowned upon to go from conductor (after all the training) to driver after say a year or two?

I thought some trains were going conductor less?

MikeB89

That's not bad at all. So is this a progression into driving? Or not related at all? Would it be frowned upon to go from conductor (after all the training) to driver after say a year or two?

I thought some trains were going conductor less?
Not necessarily. If you are employed as a conductor then you get trained on how to be a conductor. There are certain things you have to learn to the same standard as a driver but that's as far as the relation goes. There's plenty of progression available, not just to being a driver. As for it being frowned upon to apply for a driver job from being a conductor, I doubt it. If successful you would still have to go through the 12 month driver training.

Northern have said conductors will be on trains until at least the end of the franchise (2025). If I remember rightly from my research, it was the government that wanted 50% of trains to be driver only operated rather than individual TOC's.

Yorkshire Lad

After week one I'm even more exciting for what's to come so that should tell you something :)

As for expenses, you get them back very quickly. If you send the forms back to HR in good time you should get your staff card (that you swipe through the barriers) in the post before your start date so you wouldn't have to buy any tickets. There is 4 people on my course that got their paperwork at the last minute so had to pay for tickets for week 1. HR is in the same building, so if you do have to buy tickets then you will be reimbursed quickly.

Hi Mike. Sorry to be a pain but I have a quick question and hopefully you'll be able to clarify it for me.

I have just received my contract (mega excited) and I'm filling in the "Travel Form" for my pass. I am adding my wife and son on there also. Did you get a solicitors signature or just include Marriage Certificate and birth Certificate?

It's unclear whether they want certificates and solicitors signature or just one/other.

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best :)

Adilol

Hi Mike. Sorry to be a pain but I have a quick question and hopefully you'll be able to clarify it for me.

I have just received my contract (mega excited) and I'm filling in the "Travel Form" for my pass. I am adding my wife and son on there also. Did you get a solicitors signature or just include Marriage Certificate and birth Certificate?

It's unclear whether they want certificates and solicitors signature or just one/other.

Hello ;)

I didn’t do it, and I send it back to them last week.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f

You only need a partner declaration form (solicitor's signature) if you are not married.

MikeB89

Has your pass/passes come back yet? I have just posted mine today (recorded delivery) in the hope it comes back before starting on 1st April.

I would think yours will definitely come back. I sent my paperwork back two weeks before my start date and it came through a few days later. Although, if it doesn't there's nothing to worry about. You will get it within your first week and any train fares you had to pay will be reimbursed.

MikeB89

OK but what happens after 2015? Mass redunancy? Scary. I'll pass then
Not at all, Northern may have the franchise extended again like they did last year. If they don't, whoever takes the franchise on you will wear their uniform and work for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.