New OeBB NightJet connections to Brussels

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by tasky, 6 Oct 2019.

1. tasky

tasky Member

This could have implications for British travellers going to Vienna as well – what routes could it open up?

https://www.politico.eu/article/nig...9issWJo9cUAf6plU97BtTg_SIQkWebTsZZBJHXeren5zQ

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Alfonso

Alfonso Member

4. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

I guess the only route would be via Cologne? Would that mean a temporary end for Düsseldorf?

5. EAD

EAD Member

Also it is still sketchy at the moment, but suggestion on-line is Sunday/Wednesday nights to Brussels and Monday/Thursday nights back to start. Clearly targeting those that need to travel out and back for meetings at the various institutions in Brussels e.g. on a most of the week basis.

6. 87015

87015 Established Member

Possibly a portion, they use Dusseldorf for the cars so would presumably retain it. OBB Taurus can't reach Belgium so will need a change of loco anyway so a portion doesn't make it that complicated.

7. EAD

EAD Member

That would make sense, though currently the rolling stock rotation on Vienna/Innsbruck is on a triangular basis to ensure stock gets back to Vienna for servicing so it needs to fit into that. Also share need for the ARZ service to be retained no matter for Düsseldorf, otherwise you sabotage your existing base.

8. tasky

tasky Member

Yes this is true, though I think probably all journeys would become significantly cheaper as it removes the need for an ICE/Thalys ticket. If the pricing model is the same as as other OeBB routes it will be no cheaper to go from Brussels to Vienna than Cologne

9. tasky

tasky Member

Though actually, thinking of a journey from London, I suppose people might be using the London Spezial ticket which is often as cheap as the Eurostar anyway

Good news for Brussels though

10. Alfonso

Alfonso Member

Agree it's all speculation, but a split or alternate days service sound reasonable options, with the Dusseldorf portion/nights having their start extended/reinstated back to Amsterdam later.

11. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

As I said on Twitter - they need to reinstate, depending on route, either the "Orient-Expreß" (I think strictly the Direct-Orient-Expreß) or "Donauwalzer" names. Only a temporary absence for those two great historic trains.

12. JonathanP

JonathanP Member

Not really the same thing, but in the new timetable "Donauwalzer" will be used for Hamburg - Wien train pair.

13. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

Donau Kurier was used ob the Ruhr to Wien services in the past.

14. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

That's the wrong historic name:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostende-Wien-Express

confirms, as I thought, that the Donauwalzer was classically the train pair EN 224/225, previously Oostende-Wien-Express. I can't remember what Hamburg-Wien was, but it wasn't that. Good to see a classic name back, though, even if for the wrong train!

The Donau-Kurier was the separate train (later one of the CNLs) to the Ruhr but not beyond.