• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Over/Under Bridges on Mothballed Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I think Heaton Norris to Guide Bridge was also being considered for eletrification, in which case it would have made sense. With all the chopping and changing I'm not sure which of these connections is currently proposed for electrification and when.
Yes, but the map showed the wires ending at the bridge over the Ashburys to Guide Bridge line, which did not make sense unless in preparation for a later extension to Heaton Norris. Anyway, I am sure the Hendy review will have killed any idea of doing anything earlier than necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Yes, but the map showed the wires ending at the bridge over the Ashburys to Guide Bridge line, which did not make sense unless in preparation for a later extension to Heaton Norris. Anyway, I am sure the Hendy review will have killed any idea of doing anything earlier than necessary.

Wires extend along an unelectrified diverging route for a short distance, so that misrouted trains' pantographs 'fall off' end-on rather than side-on. This prevents them from becoming entangled in adjacent OHLE at the junction.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Wires extend along an unelectrified diverging route for a short distance, so that misrouted trains' pantographs 'fall off' end-on rather than side-on. This prevents them from becoming entangled in adjacent OHLE at the junction.

It also means the junction doesn't have to be totally re-wired if the diverging route is electrified (maybe) and gives a mis-routed train a bit more chance to stop before it goes off the wire and maybe loses its pan on a bridge.

However in this case it looks like an error on the map. If only the junction was being electrified then the length of wire would be much shorter than is being considered here.

Dr_Paul

Established Member

That explains the overhead wires going for a couple of hundred yards up the Cricklewood line from Acton Wells. I often wondered why they did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.