• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New platform access ramp....

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonrakerz

In another thread I briefly mentioned my local station's new access ramp. I feel this wondrous edifice is deserving of a a bit more praise/ridicule.

I understand the provision of this ramp is to meet the latest Disability Laws - no comment on that !

However I have been fascinated by the number of men, the amount of equipment, and the apparent total lack of any organisation around this "project", as it dragged on and on and..........

A couple of weeks back it was finished. Lovely brickwork, magnificent yellow handrails and the non-skiddiest surface imaginable. But it wasn't opened - they didn't have any handrail for the steps/level bit for the non-disabled passengers.
Then finally some handrail was found and fitted - BUT it is a totally different type of rail, not yellow but silver; what I would call old-fashioned "gas main" pipe. Looks b****y awful ! And just for good measure the grey non skid surface (which was actually "hoovered" on completion !) now looks equally awful as it is now stained with bright red brick dust.
But at least it was finished and opened !!!!
Well it was, until today: The steps/level bit have obviously been deemed to have something else wrong with them as there is now a plastic barrier preventing people using them.

This has been one of those things that I wish I had been taking photographs of as it went along - from public property of course !

What a farce it has been - I would love to know what this cost.........no, on second thoughts, perhaps I wouldn't.............

The new Passenger Information System is very good however, but I am mystified by the flatscreen TV "departures" board, sited only on one platform, which still has a polythene sheet stuck over it with masking tape........perhaps that is in "homage" to the old blurred, out of focus TVs we had before !

PS: I haven't mentioned the "pothole" in the join between the new ramp and the platform !!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good news - the ramp is open again. The silver rails have now been painted - BLACK !!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Good news - the ramp is open again. The silver rails have now been painted - BLACK !!

Black is the new yellow! :D

And I know how things can look really good, and then someone does some more work on it and it's ruined... for example an exterior wall at my school was painted a lovely shade of blue, and then someone decided to install a security camera on the outside so they drilled... sending brick dust down the wall which stuck to the still-wet paint, so now the wall is blue (better than it sounds) with a nice red line down it.

Why is a permanent ramp needed anyway, what's wrong with a good old portable ramp?

causton

Established Member
This is the ramp from the main car park to the platform level, the old ramp apparently was too steep !

Right, that makes more sense! I was assuming some extension to the platform upwards to let people get on/off trains (which brings up a whole lot more questions in my head) because I'm not very obvious like that :P

Status
Not open for further replies.