• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New rail logo for temporary advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I think the blue red and white logo would look good on a lapel pin but the plane coloured logo should be used for signs posters and other wayfinding

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
I think the blue red and white logo would look good on a lapel pin but the plane coloured logo should be used for signs posters and other wayfinding

Plain red is the defacto map symbol for a station, it'd be absolutely nuts to change it. I'm carefully trying not to be too cynical...

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I dislike the clashing colours, and the poiliticalisation it implies. I and a great many other rail passengers are anti-unionist, this is off-putting to me, as I see the United Kingdom as corrupt and un-equal, "Great British Railways" is a perfect example as it will in reality only run English services but have great input from Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland which all have devolved transport which England lack similar powers over.

But if we have to go down the silly pro-union route, why not add heads of a lion, dragon, and unicorn on the forward facing side of the logo? The old British Rail "cycling" lion, and the Intercity Swallow added a bit of character, we all love animals.

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
I dislike the clashing colours, and the poiliticalisation it implies. I and a great many other rail passengers are anti-unionist, this is off-putting to me, as I see the United Kingdom as corrupt and un-equal, "Great British Railways" is a perfect example as it will in reality only run English services but have great input from Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland which all have devolved transport which England lack similar powers over.

But if we have to go down the silly pro-union route, why not add heads of a lion, dragon, and unicorn on the forward facing side of the logo? The old British Rail "cycling" lion, and the Intercity Swallow added a bit of character, we all love animals.

As I have said that logo IS NOT the new-GBR logo it is from the 1980s

Following on from Smokey Joe. Perhaps GBR should be renamed EWS - with the dramatic full body side logo of the old management train.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
[...]
Really, what we should be promoting is the electric railway, as there are benefits to that outside of it's green credentials. Plus it would be focused on building infrastructure, and a focus on infrastructure in general will highly benefit future generations.

Well, that would probably be signified with an electric blue colour, or at least I hope so since I also love BR blue.

How about this..

225px-Flag_of_the_British_Union_of_Fascists.svg.png

Deepgreen

Established Member
Mr Shapps and Co have revealed their intentions for an 'updated' version of the BR logo, in various shades of green. According to The Guardian, the logo's original designer isn't impressed.

Does he have a point?
Yes, he does. By all means use a (single) green version, but this is too busy by far, in my humble opinion.

Non Multi

'Large Logo' billboard poster by the GWML (Haymill, Slough). Bonus London-bound binliner in the background.

we_mean_green_NR_2021.jpg

But what's this logo in the bottom right corner...

we_mean_green_NR_2021_2.jpg

Get on board??? Is NR now offering passenger rides on their Loram rail grinders, or maybe the New Measurement Train?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Why not a single colour (the dark green)?

It looks like a five-year old designed it and its crap, sacrilege even.

On Moderation
Why not a single colour (the dark green)?

It looks like a five-year old designed it and its crap, sacrilege even.
Ian Walmlsey has done a piece on this in the current Modern Railways. In it, he says that the Rail Delivery Group came up with a quote about how wonderful the new version was and asked Gerry Barney (designer of the original) to sign it. He refused, his comment on the new green version being "It's a load of old b******s."

domcoop7

'Large Logo' billboard poster by the GWML (Haymill, Slough). Bonus London-bound binliner in the background.

View attachment 105216

But what's this logo in the bottom right corner...

View attachment 105217

Get on board??? Is NR now offering passenger rides on their Loram rail grinders, or maybe the New Measurement Train?
This is awful! Not only the hideous out of proportion double arrow (as mentioned above ad nauseum), but the wording on the poster.

What is it trying to say, exactly? "We mean green". Que? You mean green what? Green men? Green apples? Who is "we"? When or why do you "mean" anything?

And "Get on board". What is that a command? An order?

I'm sure a 12 year old could do better!

Example done off the top of my head now in 30 seconds:-

"THE RAILWAY IS THE GREEN WAY.
Using rail instead of your car
can cut carbon emissions
by UP TO TWO THIRDS!

Fast, Frequent, Convenient.
You can do your bit for planet.
GET ON BOARD WITH YOUR RAILWAY!"

Status
Not open for further replies.