• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New routes for sleeper trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
When (or if?) HS2 gets to Euston
True. Tbh, I think it would only take one or two even earlier departures to make a significant impact on the lowland sleeper.

mike57

Established Member
True. Tbh, I think it would only take one or two even earlier departures to make a significant impact on the lowland sleeper.
The current ealiest departure is 05:30 from Euston arriving 10:42, and 04:28 from Glasgow arriving 09:12. an 09:12 arrival into London looks OK to me, however the first arrival into Glasgow at 10:42 really needs to be a lot earlier, and the journey time of 5h 11m is poor compared with other services. You would need a 04:30 ish departure with the same timing as say the 07:30.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Equally, Birmingham to Scotland is a big market. That’s undeniable. It’s a fact.
The fact that Avanti have elected to have two hour gaps in the pattern of through services between Birmingham and Scotland suggests that the market does have some limitations.

Sorcerer

Domestically I can't think of many sleeper routes, but if proper coaching stock was available I do think it's worth talking about the idea of continental sleepers via the Channel Tunnel. London to Geneva has been talked about as a future route for regular cross-channel traffic but it seems like it'd be better as an overnight journey for people travelling to the continent but don't like flying or don't want the expenses of booking a hotel that could be a fair distance from their destination. Waking up and arriving in the city centre would be more ideal. Obviously you will have a question of suitable stock but if we want to reduce short-haul flights then continental sleeper services should be considered. I think a market exists for those kind of services.

paul1609

Established Member
Surely it would route via the WCML from Birmingham?. At present, those in the south west only really have a choice of flying if going to Scotland, and vice versa for Scotland to South west travellers. The XC journeys are so ridiculously long, overcrowded and overpriced. A more realistic alternative to a sleeper, would be some kind of daytime service from the south west to Scotland via the WCML calling only at principal places, say Plymouth , Bristol, Birmingham, Crewe, Preston, Carlisle , Edinburgh for example. (Other calling patterns are available). Again, I know this has been discussed before and won't happen, but then we do not live in a country serious about removing internal flights. Perhaps things will change in coming years, one can but hope.
I'd suggest that if you wanted a sleeper service from the Southwest to Scotland at minimum loss it would start from Exeter, Tiverton Parkway, Taunton, Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Reading, London Ealing Broadway, Luton Airport Parkway, Leicester, East Midlands Parkway, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh. You'd need to avoid stopping at places that could never justify it and stick to major interchange points.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I'd suggest that if you wanted a sleeper service from the Southwest to Scotland at minimum loss it would start from Exeter, Tiverton Parkway, Taunton, Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Reading, London Ealing Broadway, Luton Airport Parkway, Leicester, East Midlands Parkway, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh. You'd need to avoid stopping at places that could never justify it and stick to major interchange points.
At what unearthly hour would this be calling at Luton, Leicester, East Mids etc?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
What time would a Southwest sleeper have to leave to meet the Lowland SLeeper at Crewe or similar calling point?

peterblue

Probably best skipping Birmingham and doing Edinburgh-Newcastle-Leeds-Manchester arriving Manchester at about 2300-0000 then slow overnight to Bristol, then carrying onto somewhere southwest (Plymouth?) by around 0900-1000.

I don't think this is viable but this is probably as close as it gets to viable.

For e.g. Bristol to Scotland you can take an easyjet flight and be there much quicker, and probably cheaper too.

NSE

Established Member
The current ealiest departure is 05:30 from Euston arriving 10:42, and 04:28 from Glasgow arriving 09:12. an 09:12 arrival into London looks OK to me, however the first arrival into Glasgow at 10:42 really needs to be a lot earlier, and the journey time of 5h 11m is poor compared with other services. You would need a 04:30 ish departure with the same timing as say the 07:30.
If you could have a 0430 from Euston and arrive for 09:42 into Glasgow. Especially if you tightened it up as you say. I think that would sway some customers.
The fact that Avanti have elected to have two hour gaps in the pattern of through services between Birmingham and Scotland suggests that the market does have some limitations.
No, I agree, and one of the limitations is its customer bases wanting to join a sleeper train at 0130/0230 in the morning. Those timings are not going to attract users despite there being a healthy market.

peterblue

If you could have a 0430 from Euston and arrive for 09:42 into Glasgow. Especially if you tightened it up as you say. I think that would sway some customers.

No, I agree, and one of the limitations is its customer bases wanting to join a sleeper train at 0130/0230 in the morning. Those timings are not going to attract users despite there being a healthy market.

How many people would want to catch a train at 0430 from Euston?

stuu

Established Member
For e.g. Bristol to Scotland you can take an easyjet flight and be there much quicker, and probably cheaper too.
When I needed to get to Newcastle last year, from my house in Taunton, it was quicker to catch the bus to Bristol Airport, faff around with security etc, fly to Newcastle and catch the metro into the city than go on the direct train.

And a third of the cost

irish_rail

Established Member
So you'd miss out the biggest city in the south west (Plymouth). For what benefit? Surely stock would need to be based at Laira, as no room at Exeter, so I think it goes without saying any south west sleeper would serve Plymouth!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Equally, Birmingham to Scotland is a big market. That’s undeniable. It’s a fact.

It isn’t, at all, compared to London - Scotland.

Theres 4 or 5 flights a day from Birmingham to the central belt compared to around 60 from London to the Central belt.

Train wise there’s 20 a day Birmingham - Central belt, and 55 trains Londonto the central belt, one of which is the sleeper (excluding the highlander for obvious reasons), d some of which overlap with those from Birmingham .

Probably a similar number to those who want to be at Heathrow at 0430/0500 for the first flights to Glasgow / Edinburgh.

Iskra

Established Member
Or the operator does, in terms of its available staff.

Ken H

On Moderation
I would use a yorkshire - Cheriton service. The horrid drive down the M1, round the M25 then through Kent put me off. But it would need to take my car too. Motorail sleepers anyone?

NSE

Established Member
It isn’t, at all, compared to London - Scotland.

Theres 4 or 5 flights a day from Birmingham to the central belt compared to around 60 from London to the Central belt.

Train wise there’s 20 a day Birmingham - Central belt, and 55 trains Londonto the central belt, one of which is the sleeper (excluding the highlander for obvious reasons), d some of which overlap with those from Birmingham.
Ok, maybe I worded it wrong. It’s a market that’s my point. But just because it’s a market doesn’t mean it justifies a sleeper. The person I was replying to was advocating for a sleeper stopping at around 0130/0230, my point is there is a market for Birmingham/Scotland but one that’s adequately covered during the day and won’t be attracted to such inconvenient times such as 0130 etc

Veteran Member
What time would a Southwest sleeper have to leave to meet the Lowland SLeeper at Crewe or similar calling point?
The answer is 0230/0430, so say 2300/0800 Bristol, 2030/1030 Plymouth.
If the Lowlander lost traffic enough to create spare capacity, that might be a possible use for it - but the route is largely unelectrified, and it wouldn't be an efficient use of a bi-mode loco, and a 73/9 isn't exactly environmentally friendly.
And GW might put in a bid for the spare sleepers anyway.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Indeed, but Manchester to Bristol are unfortunately worth serving so they should be served at reasonable times
There's a 7am Bristol to Manchester XC that gets in shortly after 10am. You can have your own bed and make a bacon sandwich at home before an easy trip to the station because the roads are still empty. Much, much more attractive to the customer than a sleeper that parks up at New Street for 4 hours, and much more cost-efficient for the operators.

The only way I could see a SW-Scotland sleeper even vaguely happening would be a Cardiff-Glasgow via the ECML using electric traction, calling Bristol Parkway, Reading, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow. And it'd still require twice as much subsidy as the Caledonian. At least. If Filton Bank ever got wired you could divert it to Temple Meads (with a runround to eat a bit of time) and Bath, and when (if) Leeds-York gets wired you could trade the York stop for Leeds. But it'll still be awkward times or require a long stand somewhere in the middle of the night, and be extremely inefficient on stock and crew, and of course would be even harder to manage diversionary routes for.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Ok, maybe I worded it wrong. It’s a market that’s my point. But just because it’s a market doesn’t mean it justifies a sleeper. The person I was replying to was advocating for a sleeper stopping at around 0130/0230, my point is there is a market for Birmingham/Scotland but one that’s adequately covered during the day and won’t be attracted to such inconvenient times such as 0130 etc

Quite right.

Having looked at Birmingham - Scotland today for some family members, the prospect of anything more than 10-20 people doing the journey each night in the beds is fantasy, and that could be covered by diverting the existing sleeper, were it not lsrgely full already with people paying more from London.

The only way I could see a SW-Scotland sleeper even vaguely happening would be a Cardiff-Glasgow via the ECML using electric traction, calling Bristol Parkway, Reading, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow. And it'd still require twice as much subsidy as the Caledonian. At least.

“At least“ being the operative word. Given the traffic that would use it, I reckon 5 times the subsidy if you’re lucky.

Bill57p9

Ok, so not quite a new route per se, however I would suggest through ticketing to open up feeder routes to the existing operation. That said, CS do not seem to have an issue filling their berths.

How many people catch the 0430 to Euston from Glasgow?