• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New security scanners

Seehof

Is there a list anywhere that is kept up to date as to which airports here and in Europe have the new airport hand luggage scanners? I believe LCY does and I think NCL is on track to have all their new scanners soon. I can’t wait to take some bottles of Yorkshire Dales brewery beer to my friend abroad!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
NCL has been using the new scanners since at least Feb. North Security at LHR T5 had a mix of old and new scanners in Feb, at the time the new ones were used for transit passengers and the old ones for those starting their journey at Heathrow.

VIE was entirely old scanners in Feb.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
At LHR, the T5 First Wing and T3 Fast Track have both transitioned over to the new scanners recently. Elsewhere, the rollout is still underway.

Bigfoot

At LHR, the T5 First Wing and T3 Fast Track have both transitioned over to the new scanners recently. Elsewhere, the rollout is still underway.
Used T3 fast track a couple of weeks ago, so quick, almost like being back in the 1990s except for the body scan

Seehof

So what happens? Do you still put a bag through the scanner and then walk through or do you just walk through carrying everything?

DanNCL

Established Member
So what happens? Do you still put a bag through the scanner and then walk through or do you just walk through carrying everything?
Still put the bag through the scanner. But you no longer have to take out electricals or put liquids in a clear bag. Just leave everything in the bag and put it on the tray.

Bigfoot

Still have to take both of them off as well as empty trouser pockets. But I think you can leave items in your coat pockets now.
Belt off, pockets emptied into bag or coat pockets, coat off but bags and everything into a tray and straight into the scanner. Nothing needs to be taken out. By the time I'd posed in the scanner my tray was waiting for me to collect and leave.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
MXP and FCO have the new scanners
For MXP that may be the case at T1. However, over at T2 (used by easyJet), there's only one lane with the new scanners. It looks to be primarily intended for Fast Track passengers, although I was directed through there as an 'overflow' lane from the regular queue recently.

Fred43123

For MXP that may be the case at T1. However, over at T2 (used by easyJet), there's only one lane with the new scanners. It looks to be primarily intended for Fast Track passengers, although I was directed through there as an 'overflow' lane from the regular queue recently.
Was not sure about T2 but T1 definitely has the new Smiths Detection scanners

WestCoast

Established Member
In terms of UK regional airports, both Aberdeen and Teesside have completed the roll out and now scan all bags using the new scanners.

westv

Established Member
When we went through Leeds Bradford in April there were signs about the new scanners "coming this spring"

Still put the bag through the scanner. But you no longer have to take out electricals or put liquids in a clear bag. Just leave everything in the bag and put it on the tray.
So less risk of theft of loose items then - even if that was only ever very low risk?

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Luton was about 50% done a month ago with my first trip through one of the new scanners being taken
From my point of view, it was a real levelling of the playing field experience as being blind and having had one's white stick removed for security scanning which is just the most preposterous thing ever. But I can understand it. I was rarely if ever able to walk through the arch in a straight line so had a much much higher than average proportion of pat downs and indeed some security operators at some airports offered me the option of just going straight for that option rather than passing through the hoop

Now I just stand there and it's done with the minimal of fuss and bother. And as for being able to take liquids of regular size again, I am so happy. It's really rather sad

There are apparently now a couple at Edinburgh but suspect they are probably reserved for fast track or business or whatever customers
Once everywhere has gone live, I can see the amount of time required for security across the airport network. Reducing to levels experienced in the mid-2000s which as a fairly frequent flyer, is a good news story

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I suspect that Manchester T2 will have the new scanners soon but T1 (eg easyJet) won't as the intention is to close T1 in 2025 and move its flights to the expanded T2.
Would be delighted to be proved wrong...
I always seem to get the wrong side of the system at T1.