• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Siding at Potter Group Terminal Ely

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Anybody have any idea as to the new infrastructure being added at Potters Ely? A set of points has gone in behind the aggregate unloading area & then goes off sharply left in what appears to be a long loop siding around the main building. Apart from a new freight flow that requires access along the train the only other option I can think it maybe for is storage of class 442s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

postye

Anybody have any idea as to the new infrastructure being added at Potters Ely? A set of points has gone in behind the aggregate unloading area & then goes off sharply left in what appears to be a long loop siding around the main building. Apart from a new freight flow that requires access along the train the only other option I can think it maybe for is storage of class 442s.

Class 442 stock has been cleared to Ely (loco hauled of course), so that would seem a likely assumption.

TheEdge

Established Member
Oh, I assumed the 442s would live in the sidings adjacent to the Norwich lines, they look like they have been all tidied up. Not noticed the new siding, passing by this afternoon so I will have to take a look.

dk1

Veteran Member
Oh, I assumed the 442s would live in the sidings adjacent to the Norwich lines, they look like they have been all tidied up. Not noticed the new siding, passing by this afternoon so I will have to take a look.

Where you asleep? You can't miss it. There isn't room for that many units in that yard when you consider they are 5-cars.

TheEdge

Established Member
Looked today as I went past. Not only does that siding loop round but the whole wooded area behind has been cleared. Looks like lots and lots of track going down...

dk1

Veteran Member
Had it confirmed today by a reliable source that the expansion on the land once used to store surplus Rover cars is to be used for safe storage of whats left of the Plastic Pig fleet. There is also a possibility of heritage diesel being based here for shunting/ETS? duties.

There are also some additional freight opportunities but nothing has been confirmed on that front just yet.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Apologies for clearly missing something here but why are the class 442's being dragged all the way to Ely for storage?

Secondly apart from the aggregate traffic does anything else use the freight terminal?

dk1

Veteran Member
Apologies for clearly missing something here but why are the class 442's being dragged all the way to Ely for storage?

Secondly apart from the aggregate traffic does anything else use the freight terminal?

Safe storage as the majority of the fleet no longer have any long term future. Probably not that many sites that could accomodate around 75 vehicles.

Sadly no, the aggregate is the only almost daily service using the terminal. Wood chip has rumoured to be coming back but the container traffic which was building up nicely after the new siding & hard standing area was constructed stopped around 5 or 6 years ago. There where complaints about increased road traffic but maybe that will change with the new Ely bypass given the go ahead.

TheEdge

Established Member
I always want to know about the history of the little 0-6-0 shunter in there. Always seems to be in a different place but i have never seen it move!

Status
Not open for further replies.