• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Signalling, ROC's

Steveswan10

Hi, I have a question, I am a signaller in a traditional main line mechanical box (Marches Line). The old way of mechanical signalling seems to work just fine in essance with not much in the way of electronics (in most cases) to go wrong. So why then do we have to upgrade to ROC's controlling miles and miles of railway and hundreds of trains from one location which if something goes wrong it can effect many other parts where as on mechanical if a siganl fails.....it should'nt really effect any other signals on a big way ect? Is it just a case of progression for the sake of progression or a cost saving in terms of less signallers with their wages and boxes with the electricity and water costs ect? Also in terms of safety, with a box every so many miles the trains are continuosly under watch wheres in a ROC or indeed a Panal Box there is no way of seeing something wrong and stopping it before it gets to late, and also there is the cybercrime side of it.....if somebody was to hack in (not impossable) surely they could cause havoc across the country wheres as you simply cannot cause as much chaos as you cant hack a mechanical system?
Any answers would be a gratefully recieved

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I think a lot comes down to reducing manpower and costs - which has been happening for decades; however, there seems to be less resilience in the newer systems as electronic devices are "programmed" to be fail-safe and often fail more easily. I think the grand plan of 12 ROC's for the entire country will now not happen - at least in my lifetime

I'm not a signaller - so I'm sure you'll get a more definitive answer soon

(I spent many years up and down signal boxes and much prefer the old mechanical methods, including AB working). More mechanically to go wrong but easier to fix more quickly providing parts were readily available.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The primary reasons for upgrading lines to modern signalling are:
  • reduction in headway leading to an increase in capacity, thus allowing more trains to run and fewer knock-on delays during disruption
  • reduced operational costs (fewer signallers and less signal maintenance needed) leading to savings over the long term
  • ever-increasing difficulty in sourcing replacement parts when equipment needs repair or reaches the end of its working life
The latter point is a big consideration - I recall stories of parts having to be sourced from heritage railways or even as far afield as India.

Having TCB colour light signalling also improves safety as it reduces the scope for human error, e.g. a miscommunication between signallers or drivers misreading complex semaphore signals. In many cases upgrading to modern signalling may also be a prerequisite to upgrading level crossings - this remains one of the biggest areas of safety risk on the railway.

There doesn't seem to be any great impetus to upgrade the Marches Line to modern signalling as Network Rail's capital expenditure budget is limited and most recent resignalling schemes have turned out very expensive. Broadly speaking, it works and there aren't any aspirations for increasing service levels beyond the capacity offered by the current signalling.

John Webb

Established Member
The primary reasons for upgrading lines to modern signalling are:
  • reduction in headway leading to an increase in capacity, thus allowing more trains to run and fewer knock-on delays during disruption
  • reduced operational costs (fewer signallers and less signal maintenance needed) leading to savings over the long term
  • ever-increasing difficulty in sourcing replacement parts when equipment needs repair or reaches the end of its working life......
A fourth point is that with the separation of the infrastructure operator from the companies operating trains the ROCs were designed with the intent that TOCs would have some presence for better solving of mutual difficulties when trains or infrastructure failed. I've no idea how this has worked in practice, not being 'in the trade' as it were.
Regarding the first point above, when the mechanical St Albans South closed it was handling around 280 trains a day - we now have over 600 trains a day through St Albans City station and the mechanical system could never have coped with that number.
It is worth noting that the ROC concept has been significantly modified since introduction. As I've mentioned elsewhere, our 'local' box, West Hampstead PSB, is about to be modernised with 4 VDU workstations taking over from the 'eNtrance-eXit' panel of the late 1970s rather than having it's area of control split between Three Bridges and East Midlands ROCs. We're not certain if this is a cost thing and/or realisation from the Covid pandemic that perhaps too many eggs were going into too few large baskets.

Meerkat

Established Member
It’s a bit concerning that an NR signaller comes here to ask, rather than NR not already having convinced it’s people!

Annetts key

Established Member
Hi, I have a question, I am a signaller in a traditional main line mechanical box (Marches Line). The old way of mechanical signalling seems to work just fine in essance with not much in the way of electronics (in most cases) to go wrong. So why then do we have to upgrade to ROC's controlling miles and miles of railway and hundreds of trains from one location which if something goes wrong it can effect many other parts where as on mechanical if a siganl fails.....it should'nt really effect any other signals on a big way ect? Is it just a case of progression for the sake of progression or a cost saving in terms of less signallers with their wages and boxes with the electricity and water costs ect?

It's really a mix of things. The available technology being a big part of it. To see what I mean, look at the actual progression in places:

The first signalling was completely operated by people, no technology involved. A 'policeman' controlled the train. Often time interval working was used.

Next, simple mechanical signals were used, still operated by a person next to it.

Eventually cabins were provided. This changed into signal boxes. Mechanical interlocking was developed to reduce human error.

As layouts and junctions became more complex, the simple signal boxes were replaced by much larger ones, the benefit was the larger mechanical interlocking that could be accommodated.

But mechanical signalling has limits of how far away a signal can be, and how far a point can be from the signal box. Electrical signalling equipment could extend the area that a mechanical interlocking could control. Hence the larger signal boxes took control from the smaller "nearby" boxes.

This reduction in the number of signallers also resulting in a cost saving to the railway.
lower staff costs, electric points and colour light signals were also (once the capital costs had been repaid) cheaper to run in terms of reduced maintenance costs.

It was then realised that the locking could be done with relays. Hence some large boxes were built with miniature levers that only operated electrical contacts. They had colour light signals and electric points. These could replace both multiple large mechanical signal boxes, and/or a number of smaller boxes.

As relay interlocking developed and as the cost of this technology fell, power signal boxes that used panels (such as the entrance-exit NX type mentioned above) were developed. The interlocking for these is normally called route relay interlocking (RRI). This was a game changer. One PSB could replace hundreds of traditional signal boxes, hundreds of route miles could be controlled. Further, automatic colour light track circuit block sections only required a signaller to monitor them. A PSB could have hundreds of automatic sections covering many miles of route.

But RRI systems are rather power hungry. And they need lots of multicore cables. This all costs money. So alternative technology was investigated. In the U.K. British Rail developed SSI (Solid State Interlocking) that uses microcomputer chips.

In addition, as well as the interlocking being computer based, they also developed control systems called IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre). These are computer displays (VDUs) and trackballs that replaced traditional panels. Now called workstations.

These had the advantage that nearly all the (expensive copper) line side long distant multicore cables could be replaced with less expensive single two wire data link cables. Plus, the interlocking cubicles took up much less space (smaller buildings), less power, and, being computer based means even more automation, for no extra money.

Being solid state, they were meant to be more reliable than relay based interlocking. However, it's not as simple as that. Because when a computer based system fails, a whole module fails, so if a module controls two signals, both will fail.

However, the savings in labour costs of signallers is not significantly different between large and complex entrance-exit NX type panels connected to RRI and computer based signalling centres or ROCs.

And the increasing cost of resignalling, or relocking (as it is sometimes known if the new system is keeping the existing signal positions/spacing), means that the savings from slightly lower wage costs are insignificant compared to the capital cost.

The other thing that was driving the programme of large ROCs was the 'political' bigger is better thinking. A very large control room that covers thousands of route miles is more impressive than a line with a bunch of "traditional" PSBs and mechanical signal boxes.

Until of course, the control room has to be evacuated due to a fire alarm going off... Or a system fails taking out a large amount of the signalling.

Also in terms of safety, with a box every so many miles the trains are continuosly under watch wheres in a ROC or indeed a Panal Box there is no way of seeing something wrong and stopping it before it gets to late <snip>
Yes. Hot Axle Box Detectors (HABD) systems and other equipment helps with some of this. But yes, there are far less human eyes watching the passing trains.

and also there is the cybercrime side of it.....if somebody was to hack in (not impossable) surely they could cause havoc across the country wheres as you simply cannot cause as much chaos as you cant hack a mechanical system?

All the vital systems used by Network Rail signalling systems use fail safe methods of communication. Further, nearly all use Network Rail cables or transmission systems. Only a small number use third party links (normally a "private wire" dedicated link provided by BT). So for someone to 'hack' in, they have to physically get access to the cable or equipment. And then they would need enough knowledge of the system. Not impossible, but the risk is extremely small. And where the communication is over a fibre optic cable, well, it's then highly improbable.

Theft of power cable, or vandals just cutting random cables to see if they are copper is a far bigger problem.

Backroom_boy

Yes even the ECML seems to have postponed centralising everything at the York ROC; maybe in the very long term but in the medium term, recruitment is/was still occurring at Tyneside, York and Doncaster.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes even the ECML seems to have postponed centralising everything at the York ROC; maybe in the very long term but in the medium term, recruitment is/was still occurring at Tyneside, York and Doncaster.
Tyneside became a ROC itself about a year ago. I think that might now be the long term intention.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thinking of the line that the OP is on, and where I spent my 10 years, the first proposal was for us joining a large ROC presumably the Cardiff Centre, but later there were also mentions of smaller "panels" instead, so that Hereford would control the fringe to Cardiff to (probably) Woofferton, Bromfield and Onibury in the North, and those above there could go to a panel at Shrewsbury. Always the "problem" there was said to be Severn Bridge Junct Box.

The argument on where the boundary between Hereford and Shrewsbury was always subject to much disagreement!

GardenRail

Doncaster will be in York within a couple of years. Then the whole East Coast Mainline from KX to Darlington (fringe with Tyne) will be controlled from York.

superkev

Established Member
I've often wondered about the economics of centralising everything as well as resiliance.
For example if York roc has a serious outage is there a fall back or plan B.
K

Annetts key

Established Member
I've often wondered about the economics of centralising everything as well as resiliance.
For example if York roc has a serious outage is there a fall back or plan B.
K
The resilience depends on the technology used and the specification set before the system was installed.

Computer based signalling does have some redundant (for reliability) systems, this provides some resilience. Also the use of two separate and diverse routed data links means that a fault with one should not affect the running of trains.

However, providing further resilience requires more money for more equipment. That's currently considered not to be economic...

Having 'backup' workstations is possible, but if in a different location, it costs money to keep signallers trained and competent to operate them.

In my area, emergency panels for the PSB were taken out of use because of the costs...

Last edited:

WAB

Hi, I have a question, I am a signaller in a traditional main line mechanical box (Marches Line). The old way of mechanical signalling seems to work just fine in essance with not much in the way of electronics (in most cases) to go wrong. So why then do we have to upgrade to ROC's controlling miles and miles of railway and hundreds of trains from one location which if something goes wrong it can effect many other parts where as on mechanical if a siganl fails.....it should'nt really effect any other signals on a big way ect? Is it just a case of progression for the sake of progression or a cost saving in terms of less signallers with their wages and boxes with the electricity and water costs ect? Also in terms of safety, with a box every so many miles the trains are continuosly under watch wheres in a ROC or indeed a Panal Box there is no way of seeing something wrong and stopping it before it gets to late, and also there is the cybercrime side of it.....if somebody was to hack in (not impossable) surely they could cause havoc across the country wheres as you simply cannot cause as much chaos as you cant hack a mechanical system?
Any answers would be a gratefully recieved
Lines like Stoke-Derby suffer from being mechanical - 8 boxes which need to be manned to run the service, which means no late night services and a very limited Sunday service. If in a ROC, I imagine that the entire line could be signalled by one person keeping an eye on the ARS and it'd be economic to keep it open all day.

Annetts key

Established Member
Lines like Stoke-Derby suffer from being mechanical - 8 boxes which need to be manned to run the service, which means no late night services and a very limited Sunday service. If in a ROC, I imagine that the entire line could be signalled by one person keeping an eye on the ARS and it'd be economic to keep it open all day.
That may be the case. But how many years would it take the savings from wages to repay the capital costs of a new signalling system. Money is currently tight, hence smaller less expensive alterations are more likely at the moment.

The Planner

Veteran Member
That may be the case. But how many years would it take the savings from wages to repay the capital costs of a new signalling system. Money is currently tight, hence smaller less expensive alterations are more likely at the moment.
Depends how many boxes you are closing in the process and the grades. How many signallers cover the shifts at a block post? Consider it over 40 years.

Steveswan10

Thanks all for the replys, it is intresting in the reasons why and not just progression for the sake of progression-I.E we have to be bigger and better then everywhere else (Europe and the world), I have only recently joined and passed out but will hope that the marches will be one of the last lines to be transfered to the ROC and i have a long career in a mechanical box

DerekC

Established Member
The ROC programme originally (and I am going back to about 2010/11) had very high objectives. They wanted to install automated tools for conflict detection and real time replanning which would deliver more efficient use of capacity and better response to disruption over the whole network. The individual ROCs were to be capable of taking over control of an adjoining area at the drop of a hat if one was disabled. It was all way OTT. The original procurement programme failed and the ROCs have been progressively descoped and fragmented over time. I am not sure what the long term plans are now. Below is a screenshot of the architecture from 2011:

1702576774950.png

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Surprised no-one has mentioned ERTMS/ETCS.
This offers standardised systems across rolling stock and on the track from several suppliers, eliminating much bespoke and elderly lineside equipment.
We are way behind implementing this compared to many systems in Europe and beyond.
It also gives you ATP and bi-di operation for "free", as well as the potential for increased capacity.
Network Rail has also said that replacing its current signalling systems with modern (but non-ETCS) equipment is "unaffordable".

I know the example in this thread is on the rural Marches main line with no more than 2tph over 120 miles or so, which is not a high priority for renewal.
But how long with the "Stockport 5" continue with bell codes and absolute block for the high frequency there?
That's Stockport Nos 1 and 2, Edgeley Nos 1 and 2, and Heaton Norris (with the "new" Manchester South PSB in the area mix too), all within a few miles of Manchester ROC.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Surprised no-one has mentioned ERTMS/ETCS.
This offers standardised systems across rolling stock and on the track from several suppliers, eliminating much bespoke and elderly lineside equipment.
We are way behind implementing this compared to many systems in Europe and beyond.
It also gives you ATP and bi-di operation for "free", as well as the potential for increased capacity.
Network Rail has also said that replacing its current signalling systems with modern (but non-ETCS) equipment is "unaffordable".

I know the example in this thread is on the rural Marches main line with no more than 2tph over 120 miles or so, which is not a high priority for renewal.
But how long with the "Stockport 5" continue with bell codes and absolute block for the high frequency there?
That's Stockport Nos 1 and 2, Edgeley Nos 1 and 2, and Heaton Norris (with the "new" Manchester South PSB in the area mix too), all within a few miles of Manchester ROC.
There will be significant life extension works to those. No plans for replacement for a good few years that I know of.

Annetts key

Established Member
Network Rail is working on introducing a roll out of ERTMS/ETCS. In fact, ETCS is already in use on the Cambrian Line and on the Northern City Line between Finsbury Park and Moorgate.

It's also already in use on some non-Network Rail lines (Heathrow for example).

ETCS is being installed on the southern part of the East Coast Main Line, between London Kings Cross and Grantham.  They have a contractor that has (and is continuing to) install equipment on this route.

But the amount of work to provide ETCS across the whole network is huge, and funds for this are currently rather limited. So it will take some time before any significant amount of the network has ETCS.

See https://eastcoastdigitalprogramme.co.uk/home

Llanigraham

On Moderation
When I started, 15 years ago it was reckoned that to transfer the simplist Boxes on the Marches line would cost just over a £1m each, and probably 50% more for the Boxes that controlled level crossings, which was a lot of them. Those figures have very quickly escalated. There were also additional costs and complications where Boxes worked to other systems, like Hereford, Craven Arms and Sutton Bridge.

I'm sure it will happen, eventually, but not to one large central ROC, but to a few more local ones, as I suggested earlier.

Falcon1200

Established Member

Having the route open 24/7 was one of the benefits provided by providing RETB for the West Highland Line.

I.E we have to be bigger and better then everywhere else

Are there not USA freight railroads with their entire operation (over thousands of miles) controlled from one location?

The individual ROCs were to be capable of taking over control of an adjoining area at the drop of a hat if one was disabled. It was all way OTT.

Indeed, and as soon as we heard that notion we questioned how any neighbouring ROC could possibly have sufficient staff to take over another area, not to mention details such as maintaining competence!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but is there any sense in opening a new control centre for HS2 at Washwood Heath, when its area could be added to the NR West Midlands or Rugby control centres for the reduced scope of the HS2 project?
It would be just adding a new leg to the WCML control system.
I can hear HS2 Ltd being aghast in the background, especially as the Washwood Heath centre has just begun building...

As it is there will be 3 strategic control centres close together - WMSCC (Saltey), WMCL (Rugby) and HS2 (Washwood Heath).
And isn't part of the Cross-city line still controlled from Aston?

Meerkat

Established Member
Indeed, and as soon as we heard that notion we questioned how any neighbouring ROC could possibly have sufficient staff to take over another area, not to mention details such as maintaining competence!
Probably a stupid question…….but if the ROCs were configured and operated the same how much resource and competency would another ROC need to manage a controlled shut down of another’s area?
Eg get all trains to a platform for evacuation, maybe even run a simple priority service to clear the decks.

Falcon1200

Established Member
but if the ROCs were configured and operated the same how much resource and competency would another ROC need to manage a controlled shut down of another’s area?

The implication was not that a neighbouring ROC would take over an adjacent area simply for a controlled shut down but to continue running the train service!

Meerkat

Established Member
The implication was not that a neighbouring ROC would take over an adjacent area simply for a controlled shut down but to continue running the train service!
Was there an optimistic assumption that ARS and ETMS systems would mean the computer could run the train service with a signaller only occasionally having to intervene?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Thanks all for the replys, it is intresting in the reasons why and not just progression for the sake of progression-I.E we have to be bigger and better then everywhere else (Europe and the world), I have only recently joined and passed out but will hope that the marches will be one of the last lines to be transfered to the ROC and i have a long career in a mechanical box
In much of the world ROCs would be seen as quaint and highly decentralised.

In the US there would be a single control complex for a UK sized rail system. Indeed the bulk of the control staff at BNSF are in the same room!

The current UK signalling system is extremely labour intensive which is hardly ideal given huge labour costs in the rail industry.

The Puddock

In much of the world ROCs would be seen as quaint and highly decentralised.

In the US there would be a single control complex for a UK sized rail system. Indeed the bulk of the control staff at BNSF are in the same room!

The current UK signalling system is extremely labour intensive which is hardly ideal given huge labour costs in the rail industry.
While BNSF Network Operations Center at Fort Worth is quite a place (I’d love to visit one day!) drawing direct comparisons between the UK and US signalling practice is difficult. This is because the operational philosophy underpinning their railroad is so very different to ours and their technology has evolved to handle that. Their CTC, ‘dark territory’ and isolated remote automatic interlockings allow one dispatcher to supervise a vast number of track miles having very little interaction with the infrastructure and is completely alien to how we operate our railways here*. Put simply, having one enormous centralised control centre per class one railroad company in the US is practical because of how their system is set up, in a way that it isn’t here. We would not, for example, find it acceptable to have manually operated non-interlocked points on our main lines, requiring the traincrew to stop and ‘line the route’ as the Americans say whenever they need to access a loop or siding. Dispatching trains over open channel radio and relying on traincrews to be alert for instructions which authorise conflicting movements is fraught with danger and explains why single line ‘cornfield meets’ are not unusual over there…

When I mention the different operational philosophy, this goes as far as their almost total absence of timetabling for freight traffic (although ‘precision scheduled railroading’ is attempting to change that) and the lack of a seperate Control function supervising train and infrastructure operations as we have here. The dispatcher role is effectively our controller and signaller jobs combined and they have total autonomy over when and how traffic in their control area runs. Although it’s tempting to look to America because they speak a similar language to us, they might as well be in a different universe when it comes to railway operations.

I was trying to find a suitable image of Fort Worth NOC to illustrate this post and I stumbled on to an article from BNSF which illustrates one difference rather nicely:

Behind our railroad are the men and women who help move freight trains 24/7. Dispatchers are just one group who have a round-the-clock role in operating about 1,400 trains daily across our expansive 32,500-mile network.

When dispatcher Jessica Stone arrives at her desk at 6:30 a.m., the NOC floor is already bustling with activity and chatter as dispatchers who have worked tirelessly through the night transition with the morning shift. During her 8-hour workday, Stone controls the movement of approximately 20-30 trains within her territory, which spans nearly 200 miles between Alliance and Temple, Texas.

Anyway, here’s the picture:

IMG_7566.jpeg

*I know some people will say “That sounds similar to RETB” but for various reasons too numerous to go into in this post, it isn’t really.

Last edited: