• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station/bus interchange for Bow Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Well last time I was in Aber, a week ago, I couldn't see 15 general spaces.
Several are now designated "Short Term, Drop Off only", several are designated Disabled, and one is NR use only.

And if you speak to any locals they don't consider it a station car park, other than for short term use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Well last time I was in Aber, a week ago, I couldn't see 15 general spaces.
Several are now designated "Short Term, Drop Off only", several are designated Disabled, and one is NR use only.

And if you speak to any locals they don't consider it a station car park, other than for short term use.
All the more reason for a P&R at Bow Street then

adamedwards

Sort of confirms Bow Street is more Aber North Parkway rather than Aber Crossrail Shuttle northern terminus!

Tomos y Tanc

Politics. The Welsh Government like schemes like this.
Oh God. How many times?

This was a decision by the UK Government and Network Rail. The Welsh Government and Ceredigion council did lobby for this but someone who boasts he's 'The Planner' might perhaps plan to understand the devolution settlement before writing snarky comments about who decided what.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Oh God. How many times?

This was a decision by the UK Government and Network Rail. The Welsh Government and Ceredigion council did lobby for this but someone who boasts he's 'The Planner' might perhaps plan to understand the devolution settlement before writing snarky comments about who decided what.
Boasts? :D:D oh untwist your underwear, it was a throwaway comment

DaveHarries

Established Member
Well, 2021 is almost with us, so is there any further news as to an opening date for the station.
Arrival and departure times for it are appearing on RealTimeTrains. Possibly not the most reliable of sources but I suspect we haven't got long to wait. Station code BOW.

Dave

Kite159

Veteran Member
Arrival and departure times for it are appearing on RealTimeTrains. Possibly not the most reliable of sources but I suspect we haven't got long to wait. Station code BOW.

Dave

Same story with Reading Green Park showing on RTT since December last year when the timetable changed to take the station stop into account of the timings.

topydre

TfW have released a couple of pictures on their facebook feed.

They also link to some facts about the station; I'm surprised that a new station was built for only 4 cars (about 100m). There have been some 6-car trains from Aber in the recent past and line usage has been increasing significantly; I would have expected more like 150m.

1610411852575.png

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Hard to see from the photo but is there a Welsh language name following in a paler font?
Going by the Welsh text on the link in #41 its Welsh name is also Bow Street. But I guess the signage designers may not have known that at the time. If there was a Welsh name then I would have thought someone would make sure it was present and clearly visible on an official photo.

Llandudno

Established Member
Perhaps hoping that the Uni will add its name as part of the station sponsorship.
Not sure Bow Street has a University but it could be sponsored by the local primary school:
Ysgol Gymunedol Rhydypennau

I think that should fill the white space on the running board...!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Does not look right, at all

Perhaps all nameboards are the same length, to save money, whether the name is Porth or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychweryndrobwllllantisiliogogoch

SargeNpton

Established Member
Not sure Bow Street has a University but it could be sponsored by the local primary school:
Ysgol Gymunedol Rhydypennau

I think that should fill the white space on the running board...!
The Aberystwyth University, Gogerddan campus is about a mile from the new station. and perhaps going to be one of the major sources of passengers.

Attachments

• _Bow Street.jpg
    _Bow Street.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 19

PeterC

Established Member
The Aberystwyth University, Gogerddan campus is about a mile from the new station. and perhaps going to be one of the major sources of passengers.
Most unlikely, there is a regular bus serving the campus from Aber running via Capel Dewi

SargeNpton

Established Member
"Part funded by the Department for Transport via the New Stations Fund , the new station will provide a link to the national rail network for the community of Bow Street for the first time since the former station was closed in 1965. This will transform transport for local residents, providing links for employment and educational opportunities. Through providing alterative travel, it will also help ease road congestion on local roads supporting the sustainability agenda.

Located close to the UK Innovation and Research Campus that is being developed by Aberystwyth University, the station will provide access between the site and the University’s main campus in Aberystwyth itself."

anamyd

On Moderation
Does anyone know the actual opening date...? All I've heard is "February".

Bobdogs

On Moderation
"Part funded by the Department for Transport via the New Stations Fund , the new station will provide a link to the national rail network for the community of Bow Street for the first time since the former station was closed in 1965. This will transform transport for local residents, providing links for employment and educational opportunities. Through providing alterative travel, it will also help ease road congestion on local roads supporting the sustainability agenda.

Located close to the UK Innovation and Research Campus that is being developed by Aberystwyth University, the station will provide access between the site and the University’s main campus in Aberystwyth itself."

By rail, walk about a mile to Bow Street station, take train to Aberystwyth, walk about a mile up the steep Penglais Hill or catch a bus up the hill

By bus, catch the hourly bus from outside the campus which passes the main campus, which takes no more than 20 minutes.
I would imagine that 2 to 3 miles on the local bus would be a lot cheaper than the train and bus.

By rail, walk about a mile to Bow Street station, take train to Aberystwyth, walk about a mile up the steep Penglais Hill or catch a bus up the hill

By bus, catch the hourly bus from outside the campus which passes the main campus, which takes no more than 20 minutes.
I would imagine that 2 to 3 miles on the local bus would be a lot cheaper than the train and bus.

SargeNpton

Established Member

And for people coming in from other than Aberystwyth?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries starts giving timings (but no fares) from 15 February
I understand that is the date (or the 14th).

Another website (perish the thought) has a copy of an email from TfW to an individual stating this date, but I have seen nothing official.

PeterC

Established Member
And for people coming in from other than Aberystwyth?
In dry weather if fit and with no luggage possibly walk for about 20 minutes otherwise get the direct bus from outside Aberystwyth station.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I understand that is the date (or the 14th).

Another website (perish the thought) has a copy of an email from TfW to an individual stating this date, but I have seen nothing official.
I tried ringing TfW earlier today hoping to hear some news of the date of the station opening and spoke to a female with what sounded like an Indian accent who tried to "blind me with science" then realised the station was not yet open and suggested that I rang "a different department".

adamedwards

Is the bus from the uni going to be diverted or extended to the new station, to encourage use?

Status
Not open for further replies.