• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

new stations at wellington and cullompton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/wellington_and_wiveliscombe/4246517.Call_to_re_open_Wellington_train_station/

This article makes an interesting read and is an idea i share. But what i want to discuss is how the new stations would be served. They propose a taunton-wellington shuttle! Which i think tops the list of the most ridiculous ideas ive ever heard! I would call my proposed exd-pad at these two, giving a direct regular link to london reading taunton and exeter. Reopening of these stations would strengthen an hourly exd semi fasts case as most london pax would otherwise be off by castle cary.
What do we think?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainbuff

I know there is a lot of interest in reopening Wellington Station. I think the advantage of reopening here would allow faster trains to pass slower services.

The platform lines are away from the main running lines (if the original station is reinstated), similar to Totnes and Tiverton Junction....now known as Tiverton loops.

The old station at Collumpton has been part taken over by a motorway service station. This would need re-siting and no doubt would be only platforms adjacent to the mail100mph running lines. stopping trains here could create delay.

I reckon Wellington would have a better business case than Collumpton.

DavidBrown

Cullompton did have loops like Totnes/Dawlish Warren/Tiverton Junction, so the Up line platform would be easy to reinstate with a loop. Personally, I think that having the motorway services there makes no sense at all - they're very small, have had to have their access road crammed into an already iffy junction and are only signposted northbound. I'd close them altogether (potentially expanding the ones at J27 instead) which would mean an easy reinstatement on the down line and a ready made area for car parking and a station building.

As for what would serve Cullompton and Wellington, I'd have an Exmouth/Paignton to Taunton/Bristol TM stopper service. No point in having any Intercity services stop as that would kind of defeat the point of an Intercity service.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Paddington-Exeter semi-fast would be a good idea, and maybe even IEPs on diesel would be able to manage that. I would recommend that. How about reopening Norton Fitzwarren as well to provide convenient conenctions for Minehead?

TheWalrus

Established Member
I'd have an Exmouth/Paignton to Taunton/Bristol TM stopper service. No point in having any Intercity services stop as that would kind of defeat the point of an Intercity service.
The exeter to london is a semi fast and would provide for their needs very well! This should encourage customers. It would run commerciallywhere a local service would likely make a loss, which is bad for the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.