• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Elland has a population approaching 15,000 and Greetland has over 12,000 and both lost their railway services many years ago, but still in the memories of those of us of "a certain age".

How well are both settlements served by the local bus services ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Elland has a population approaching 15,000 and Greetland has over 12,000 and both lost their railway services many years ago, but still in the memories of those of us of "a certain age".

How well are both settlements served by the local bus services ?

Elland is served by First's 503 service, which runs fairly directly between Huddersfield and Halifax other than the diversion off the Elland Bypass to serve Elland itself. This service runs every 10 minutes during the day (Monday to Saturday), and I can only think of 1 or 2 of the many different bus routes between Hudds and 'Fax (all at least hourly) that might not serve Elland. The 343 (Yorkshire Tiger) and 536/537 (First daytimes, YT eve/sun) also serve Greetland I think. As for services that don't touch Huddersfield, I can't comment!

The advantage of rail would be the vastly improved journey times to Leeds, though. Not sure if Grand Central would call if Elland was open though- perhaps if Pontefract was sacrificed to make space...?

Last edited:
I'm sure I've seen a proposal to re-open the old Midland Counties station at Long Eaton although I imagine the existing one at Sawley would have to close to justify it.

Chafford1

How does this affect calling patterns on the West of England?

From the South West Trains website:

London Waterloo to Salisbury and Exeter St Davids:

The stopping pattern of trains will be altered at Feniton, Whimple and Pinhoe. The standard stops in both directions after 1000 each day will be changed to provide up to 12 additional trains per week calling at both Feniton and Whimple, and 45 additional trains per week calling at Pinhoe.

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Pocket-timetables1312.aspx

CalderRail

Elland is served by First's 503 service, which runs fairly directly between Huddersfield and Halifax other than the diversion off the Elland Bypass to serve Elland itself. This service runs every 10 minutes during the day (Monday to Saturday), and I can only think of 1 or 2 of the many different bus routes between Hudds and 'Fax (all at least hourly) that might not serve Elland. The 343 (Yorkshire Tiger) and 536/537 (First daytimes, YT eve/sun) also serve Greetland I think. As for services that don't touch Huddersfield, I can't comment!

The advantage of rail would be the vastly improved journey times to Leeds, though. Not sure if Grand Central would call if Elland was open though- perhaps if Pontefract was sacrificed to make space...?

Both Elland and Greetland have a significantly worse bus service than Hebden Bridge or Todmorden, and both of those have Railway services as well.

A railway station at Elland would also have the advantage that people in Elland would not have to go via Halifax or Huddersfield to reach Leeds, Manchester and Burnley (or the local towns of Brighouse, Hebden and Todmorden) by public transport, and wouldn't have to change services in Halifax to reach Bradford.

Those factors would undoubtedly drive an increase in the use of the service by those who currently use cars.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair enough, I've got ages to wait then lol :lol:

As for the West of England line new stations, at least it'll be even more for me to do thus more excuse to have a decent bash down there next year :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The timings on the Caldervale line section through there have enough slack to allow stops at Elland without affecting the timetabling.

I believe the original timetable was drawn up on the idea that Elland Station would be included.

In any case, trains currently sit at Brighouse station for 5+ minutes because of the slack in the timetable.

I was referring to the difficulty of building alongside a very active railway rather than any problems with adding the stop into the timetable.

Eagle

Established Member
That doesn't mean anything though; it still needs to be approved by NR and the ORR, and more importantly needs there to actually be money to build it.

Kenilworth had its planning application approved by the council in early 2011, but only got funding a few months ago (and it was far from certain that it would get it).

woolwinder

Lea Bridge Rd between Stratford and Tottenham Hale. some prelimary work has already been done. But no reopening date as yet (should be during 2014)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't know (although I know that Devon CC are keen for a new FGW service per hour between Exeter and Honiton calling at all stations, which might result in SWT calling at none of them).

The lapsed GW ITT introduced an additional 2 hourly service to Axminster, to start once rolling stock is available. 2 hourly only because an hourly service requires additional infrastructure.

Gathursty

Established Member
Lea Bridge Rd between Stratford and Tottenham Hale. some prelimary work has already been done. But no reopening date as yet (should be during 2014)

Oh noes! Thought I had London done and dusted. I'm not really a fan of driving in the capital, especially when I saw a car almost take out a pushbike on the South Circular. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Gathursty

Established Member
Being a Northerner, I make no distinction between North and South London. :P
Sometimes it is better to drive between stations than hop on and off (eg: Tyndrum, The HOWL/FNL/Kyle lines)

leedslad82

Just on a Manchester Victoria via dewsbury train at the mo. I know it's been mentioned before but I still think a new station should be built on the line at the white rose centre. At cottingley one person got off and no one got on. I'm sure a station at the white rose centre would have higher use age figures. Anyone know why this has never been built?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, if a railway station / interchange was provided at the White Rose Centre, Cottingley would have to close.

Grumpy

Just on a Manchester Victoria via dewsbury train at the mo. I know it's been mentioned before but I still think a new station should be built on the line at the white rose centre. At cottingley one person got off and no one got on. I'm sure a station at the white rose centre would have higher use age figures. Anyone know why this has never been built?

Bit of a discussion here-
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79124

As I understand it the issue is around track capacity. Thus the current stopping services fit between the TPE trains i.e. one stopper closely follows a TPE out of Leeds and the next TPE has caught it up just about the point beyond Ravensthorpe where it can overtake. The thinking seems to be that if you add another couple of minutes to the stopper's journey by calling at WRC then the following TPE will be delayed.

Thus the argument is that to have WRC you have to shut somewhere else such as Cottingley . Which might of course make good business sense to a commercial organisation run on rational lines if WRC was expected to generate more business than the station sacrificed.

However I don't see why you need actually close anywhere. Either thin out the service to some of the lesser used intermediate stations, or simply make the TPE call at WRC (why not-they call at Meadowhall?).

It's beyond belief that we are wasting capacity on a Saturday a few weeks before Christmas by serving the likes of Cottingley ( using your example with one user) whilst passing one of the busiest Shopping Centres in the North.

leedslad82

Bit of a discussion here-
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79124

Thus the argument is that to have WRC you have to shut somewhere else such as Cottingley . Which might of course make good business sense to a commercial organisation run on rational lines if WRC was expected to generate more business than the station sacrificed.

However I don't see why you need actually close anywhere. Either thin out the service to some of the lesser used intermediate stations, or simply make the TPE call at WRC (why not-they call at Meadowhall?).

It's beyond belief that we are wasting capacity on a Saturday a few weeks before Christmas by serving the likes of Cottingley ( using your example with one user) whilst passing one of the busiest Shopping Centres in the North.
the train didn't even start to fill until mirfield so rolling stock capacity shouldn't be an issue

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cottingley is, outside peak hours at least, only served hourly whereas nearby Morley amongst others gets served every 30 minutes. Hardly surprising, when I visited I was the only one to alight and one of only three to join the next train back to Leeds.

HowardGWR

Established Member
It appears WRC was opened in 1997. So it precedes (just) the 1998 White Paper on Transport. I am surprised that the planning obligations did not include such a station. Does anyone remember any debate at the time?

HowardGWR

Established Member
Very droll...:oops::D:D

I get so used to 3-letter codes only referring to railway stations and wondered what followed WRB (Wrabness) and preceded WRE (Wrenbury).

Having had a look at the entrance, it would seem it should be WRSC, I leave you to work out the S, Paul. Incidentally, while doing that, I noticed that, whilst the line from Wakefield passes very near to Elland Road football stadium, there is also no station there either.

Now I think of it, our Leeds colleagues have previously moaned about the local authorities not being rail-minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.