New SWR "Semi Flex Return" fares

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Joe Paxton, 12 Jan 2020.

1. HantsExile

HantsExile Member

I cannot find any reference to the "Semi Flex Return" on the SWR website.

When I first saw this thread on Sunday evening, I checked the Journey Planners on the NRE and SWR websites for Winchester --> Waterloo --> Winchester on Thur 16th January. I got very confusing information with an apparent bias towards Advance Singles and no mention of the "Semi Flex".

This morning I re-checked the journey, and the Planners on both websitesnow offer me an Off Peak Return at the same price I paid a week ago, with the same flexible choice of trains within the Off Peak parameters and still no mention of the "Semi Flex".

2. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Correct, but that's because the outbound leg is in effect an Advance ticket - i.e. travel on the booked train only. The return leg is effectively the same as the return leg of a Super Off-Peak Rtn, albeit for travel on SWR only.

3. AY1975

AY1975 Member

I don't think it does - I tried looking up Weymouth-Waterloo both with and without a Network Railcard, and in both cases it quoted me the same price. It does appear to offer a discount with most national railcards, though.

4. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

The SWR booking engine did when I posted the original message (just over a week ago), but I think things may have been tinkered with since then.

5. paul1609

paul1609 Established Member

I particularly like the simplification on the Havant to Chichester part of the West Coastway Line where SWR set the any permitted fare, here the cheap day returns still exist but they are £1 more expensive than an off peak return. Presumably SWR will be checking anybody returning same day on an off peak return and excessing them to a Cheap day Return?

Last edited: 20 Jan 2020