• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New trains for Southend Pier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not sure the CO2 coming from a tiny shuttle train along a pier will make much a difference to the planet!

I think the point is trying to reduce CO2 emissions wherever possible. It all adds up.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think the point is trying to reduce CO2 emissions wherever possible. It all adds up.
Precisely, - and there's no excuse for continuing to create CO2 where there is a simple alternative that was used there between 1890 and 1978. Daft decisions to replace electric traction with diesel are unlikely to be allowed in the future.

simple simon

I vote for the green and cream livery - for historic reasons, as per photo I took when a youngster (sorry, the negative has a few scratches).

Southend-Pier-Traina.jpg

I have more photos on a page on my website, mostly the images show the trains after they were withdrawn and had been placed on the ground / off the railway.
http://citytransport.info/S-Pier.htm

There are also one / several of the older trains at the pier museum, I would have liked to have been able to photograph these but the museum has a strict ban on photography.

re: the new trains, I'm pleased that they will be electric. Their specification may seem very much overkill for such a short service but this is the specification that people expect on public transport nowadays.

What I would like is an extension off the pier, perhaps to Central or even Victoria railway stations. Maybe though the incline to the pedestrian zone would be too steep?

Last edited:

simple simon

Thank you.

It looks like four designs, each shown in three liveries, so the council are being a bit liberal with the definition of "twelve" there!

Having now seen them all, I think personally that 1A and 1B are the best looking of the lot. Does anyone else think so?

Having now seen the Flickr site, I am voting for 3C.

Why?

A modern take on the traditional historic!

clagmonster

Established Member
In addition to the two current diesel trains, there is a single battery railcar, numbered 1835. I can find very little reference to this on the internet. Does anybody know if it still works, or indeed is even still there. I have seen reference to it being used as a static waiting room at the sea end of the pier, is that still the case? If so, does it work the first train out and last back in service or is it empty stock? Any information welcome, I would like to visit whilst the old stock is still around and if possible travel on both diesel trains and the battery car, preferably on the same day.

clagmonster

Established Member
Thanks very much for that. Quail shows a connection from one of the shore station platforms to a workshop, does that also contain the museum or is that separate? If the latter then I suspect that the battery railcar is stuffed and mounted, if the former then there is probably hope of having it.

I think to maximise the chances of both diesel sets and hopefully as much track as possible, I will go at the height of the summer 2020 season, if any of it goes ahead. At the very least this will give me the opportunity to investigate and enquire about the battery unit, unless there is somebody else on here with any more gen?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
There used to be a 2-train service during high summer (utilising the passing loop) but the last time I used it, only one train was in service. Maybe just coincidence, or just outside season but I haven't seen the passing loop being used for a while

The museum is sited in the old workshops beneath the platforms

https://www.southendpiermuseum.co.uk/

To comply with forum rules:

.If you walk along Southend-on-Sea’s High Street, towards the sea, your eye will be drawn in a straight line towards the longest pleasure pier in the world. Standing for over a century it extends 2158 metres (1.341 miles) into the Thames Estuary, and is a well loved and recognised symbol of Southend and the pleasures of the English seaside.
The Museum is located in the the Old Pier Workshops underneath the train station at the shore end. To locate the Museum entrance, you should go into the Pier Reception and then walk to the right of the railway entrance where it is signposted.

clagmonster

Established Member
Thanks. Your description of the museum location ties in with the workshop shown in Quail, so that is some hope. Presumably with a one train service the other train is stabled at the shore station? I think my best bet is to turn up on a peak summer day and take my chances, asking around if needs be.

gazthomas

Established Member
Direct links to the renderings of the train. I like the design of option 4 most myself, option 3 being a little too retro and reminiscent of an old style milk float. I quite all the liveries.

Bedpan

Established Member
I like colour scheme C the best. I like the idea of a retro look, it adds to the visitor experience, so I suppose it would be design 3. 2 isn't bad either but I prefer the two front windows to a single one.

So, was there a lift to lower the cars into the workshop? How else would they get the cars there?

Status
Not open for further replies.