• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New York Daily News: L train tube closures could start in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCSubway137

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tranzitjim

Are there currently plans or projects to replace the elevated sections, and if so, what are the plans with them?

NY Yankee

The New York Daily News is reporting that the L train tube closures may start in 2018 by the earliest.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/train-tunnel-closure-2018-earliest-article-1.2526139

I heard about it, but I chose not to post it here since I felt that most people wouldn't care about a NYC subway line.

At one time, the L was an underused and neglected subway line. However, they started building these fancy condos, restaurants, and art galleries in Williamsburg and Bushwick. Hipsters moved into the area and L train ridership dramatically increased. You can't even get on a Manhattan-bound L train at Bedford Avenue during rush hour.

Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy damaged the L train's two East River tunnels. The renovation is necessary. However, shutting down the L train will cripple Williamsburg. It is densely populated and full of small businesses as well as a lively community. To make matters worse, there aren't any redundancies. The J and M trains are a mile away and the G train doesn't directly serve Manhattan. I hope that they only shut down one tube at a time. It will reduce L train service and exacerbate overcrowding, but it's better than a full shutdown.

AM9

Veteran Member
I heard about it, but I chose not to post it here since I felt that most people wouldn't care about a NYC subway line.

At one time, the L was an underused and neglected subway line. However, they started building these fancy condos, restaurants, and art galleries in Williamsburg and Bushwick. Hipsters moved into the area and L train ridership dramatically increased. You can't even get on a Manhattan-bound L train at Bedford Avenue during rush hour.

Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy damaged the L train's two East River tunnels. The renovation is necessary. However, shutting down the L train will cripple Williamsburg. It is densely populated and full of small businesses as well as a lively community. To make matters worse, there aren't any redundancies. The J and M trains are a mile away and the G train doesn't directly serve Manhattan. I hope that they only shut down one tube at a time. It will reduce L train service and exacerbate overcrowding, but it's better than a full shutdown.

Interesting that the tunnels under the East River are called 'tubes' in NY. I suppose that they are circular in cross section so resemble tubes. Is the subway ever referenced in a greater sense as the 'tube'?
Maybe this just chimes with the MTA's current state as 'going down the tubes'. :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Parts of Brooklyn are now "Hipster Central" - and as NY Yankee says - the line must have been one of the worst 20+ years ago .....gentrification in action. Much information if you research it.

Think "Hudson Tubes" ....(again Google)

Status
Not open for further replies.