• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New York - Day Trip Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dragon

I'll be in New York (for the first time) with family for a week in Mid May, and I intend visiting the stations.

I might be able to grab a free day, and would be interested in any suggestions Forum Members might have for a scenic day trip by train from New York, which included points of interest along the route and/or an interesting destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Dragon

I would purchase a daypass and travel all day on the subway.

I will use the subway extensively with a day pass, but I was wondering about getting out of The Big Apple for a day and where I should go.

A scenic route, or a route with railway history or interesting bridges/tunnels/construction would be good or an interesting destination.

Established Member
No ticket needed - try a 2 mile walk on the old High Line path - former railway trackbed over Manhattan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City).

Coney Island was good for a day out on the subway.

For days out further afield, I've done Washington DC (2.5hrs by train) and Boston (3 hrs, train).

Long Island / The Hamptons is a cheaper day trip (1-3hrs), so many places to visit... not suggesting all the way to Montauk, but the further you go, the prettier the towns.

AM9

Veteran Member
Agree with highline recommendation, also walk Brooklyn Bridge. To get off Manhattan for a few hours try the ferry from battery Park to Staten Island. It's free, has fabulous views of Lower Manhattan, lower Brooklyn, Hoboken (New Jersey) and the confluence of the Hudson and East Rivers, (Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, etc.). If you have an MTA day pass you can also ride the Staten Island line southwards. Nothing special to see but a pleasant ride.
If you like boat trips, there's the round (Manhattan) Island tour. It starts from pier 83 on the West Side, goes anti-clockwise around the whole of Manhattan Island taking 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Very entertaining and interesting. especially along the Harlem River in the north.
If you really want to get out of town, take a trip up the 3rd rail Metro North line from Grand Central Terminal. I've been to White Plains, a major town about 30Km north, (well under an hour). Sometimes it is pleasant to take a breather from the noise and heat of NYC and sample a bit of small town America.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
One option (don't know if it's actually viable) would be to see a New York Yankees game at Yankee Stadium. It would depend on if they're playing at home when you go and if you can get tickets

ac6000cw

Established Member
A scenic route, or a route with railway history or interesting bridges/tunnels/construction would be good or an interesting destination.

Maybe a ride northwards up the east side of the Hudson River valley?

Nice scenery, several bridges across the gorge, including an ex-railway one near Poughkeepsie that you can now walk across (it was badly damaged by a fire some years ago which closed it to rail traffic). The freight-only line up the other (west) side of the valley is a major freight route for traffic to/from New Jersey, so you may well see a double-stack container train across the water.

Metro-North runs as far as Poughkeepsie (from Grand Central station) and Amtrak runs to Albany and beyond (from Penn Station). Not visited Albany myself, but Michael Portillo went there in the first 'Great Railroad Journeys' series and it looked quite interesting (Albany is the NY state capital).

The coastal journey to New Haven and beyond towards Boston is also quite nice.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
There is no day ticket for the New York Subway. The cheapest unlimited travel ticket is the 7 day ticket at $32.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Sometimes it is pleasant to take a breather from the noise and heat of NYC and sample a bit of small town America.

Agreed - it's a breath of fresh air to come across a small town with a real 'Main Street' of shops, instead of the endless strip-malls and chain fast-food outlets that tend to populate urban main roads in the US.

AM9

Veteran Member
Agreed - it's a breath of fresh air to come across a small town with a real 'Main Street' of shops, instead of the endless strip-malls and chain fast-food outlets that tend to populate urban main roads in the US.

White Plains is quite big but it has both malls and more traditional main street shops.
In 2001, when caught in Chicago by 9/11, got a bit stir crazy and went to Evanston. That was a bit of fresh air but also suffocating given the wrapping themselves in the flag that happened then.

me123

Established Member
There is no day ticket for the New York Subway. The cheapest unlimited travel ticket is the 7 day ticket at $32.

Which I highly recommend getting. You will easily use more than the value of this ticket if you're there for a week. The subway is a brilliant way of getting around the city.

I've not been up that way, but going towards Albany appears to be quite a scenic route, and perfectly manageable in a day. I didn't find the line down to Washington DC to be particularly scenic to be honest, and it's probably a bit far for a day, but DC is a very different city to NY and well worth a visit.

Red Dragon

No ticket needed - try a 2 mile walk on the old High Line path - former railway trackbed over Manhattan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City).

Coney Island was good for a day out on the subway.

For days out further afield, I've done Washington DC (2.5hrs by train) and Boston (3 hrs, train).

Long Island / The Hamptons is a cheaper day trip (1-3hrs), so many places to visit... not suggesting all the way to Montauk, but the further you go, the prettier the towns.

This sounds good, thank you.
We're visiting our son who has a flat in Manhattan.

Red Dragon

I'm sorry I'm slow responding - I've been manning the gate and taking the entrance money for the local Carnival all day.

There's lots of excellent information for me to go at in the thread, thank you all for your suggestions and contributions.

We land at JFK and will be staying in Bleecker Street. NY 10012 Greenwich Village for a week.

Which way would be best to transfer from JFK to Bleeker St - it will be mid afternoon on a weekday.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It's feasible to Day trip to Washington DC or possibly Boston by train to see the sights there for the day.

Though if you do want to do that, definitely book Amtrak fares sooner rather than later as they skyrocket in price close to the time.

Red Dragon

It's feasible to Day trip to Washington DC or possibly Boston by train to see the sights there for the day.

Though if you do want to do that, definitely book Amtrak fares sooner rather than later as they skyrocket in price close to the time.

OK - might not do DC this time.

Red Dragon

Will walk the High Line, Brooklyn Bridge and go to the stations, maybe the oyster bar too and then it's a matter of choosing from your suggestions.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Which way would be best to transfer from JFK to Bleeker St - it will be mid afternoon on a weekday.

If you have lots of luggage, a cab would cost you $52 (plus toll, plus tip - anticipate c$60). However, when I've gone to New York I've always just hopped on the Subway, which works perfectly well. As long as you don't have a ridiculous amount of luggage, you'll be fine (a suitcase and a rucksack each will not be a problem).

The easiest way to get to Bleecker Street would probably be to take the Airtrain to Jamaica station. From there you can take the E Train to West 4th Street station in Manhattan, which is just a short walk from Bleecker Street (just walk South a block or two). Alternatively, if you take the Airtrain to Howard Beach/JFK Airport station, you can get an A train which goes to the same station - there doesn't seem to be much difference in the time it takes, with both subway trains taking about 40 minutes to get you to your station, and overall you won't be any quicker in a cab. The cost is $7.75 each - $5 for the airtrain plus a $2.75 single fare for the Subway ride. (You also have to pay $1 for the Metrocard if you don't have one, but it can be reused).

There is a station at Bleecker Street, but it's only served by the 6 train, so you'd have to change somewhere (probably the out-of-station interchange between Lexington Ave 53rd St and 51st St stations - not easy). Same goes with Broadway/Lafayette Street station (served by the B, D, F and M trains) - no direct service to the airport and probably not worth changing since it only takes you marginally closer. (I suppose you could take the E train from Jamaica and change onto the M or F somewhere en route, but it's not as easy as the A or E train going direct).

Last edited:

Shinkansenfan

I'm sorry I'm slow responding - I've been manning the gate and taking the entrance money for the local Carnival all day.

There's lots of excellent information for me to go at in the thread, thank you all for your suggestions and contributions.

We land at JFK and will be staying in Bleecker Street. NY 10012 Greenwich Village for a week.

If headed to Bleecker Street, W 4 Street Station may be a good station to alight (depends upon where on Bleecker St your son's apartment is located). To get to that station, you can either take AirTrain JFK to Jamaica, then transfer to a Manhattan bound E train.

Or take AirTrain JFK to Howard Beach, then transfer to a Manhattan bound A train.

I prefer the E because it runs more frequently, passes under better neighborhoods, and has a shorter AirTrain JFK ride.

If there are three or more in your party, consider buying a 10 ride AirTrain JFK MetroCard for $25.00, which can be "passed back" and used by up to four persons at once. A party of three, each making a roundtrip will more than breakeven on the single $5.00 fare.

Regarding suggestions for interesting day trips, I'm based in New York City and offer the following:

- Metro-North from Grand Central Terminal (not Station) to Cold Spring along the Hudson Line. Scenic ride (sit on the left hand side departing GCT). Cold Spring is a lovely little town with nice places to eat, and shops to look into.

- Metro-North up to Poughkeepsie to see the Walkway Over the Hudson (ex NY Central RR bridge), as was earlier suggested.

- Amtrak to Mystic, CT. Sit on the right hand side for coastal views. Mystic is a scenic coastal community that draws tourists from afar.

- Long Island Rail Road to either Bay Shore or Patchogue. Both are gateways to Fire Island, a 30+ mile long barrier island that home to a variety of communities, each with a different character. Most of the island is accessible by ferry only. The train ride is not particularly scenic, but you might get one of the double deck trains (those depart from Jamaica Station). At Bay Shore or Patchogue, you'll need to walk to the ferry pier or take a taxi. Just follow the crowds!

- NJ Transit to Point Pleasant Beach Station (via the North Jersey Coast Line). The beach is about 1,000 yards from the station, and this is a fairly scenic line.

Or alight at Spring Lake Station (same line), a very pleasant small town.

Or alight at Asbury Park Station (same line). This city has undergone tough times and is in process of renewal. The primary attract would be to see Ocean Grove, another delightful town located about a half mile from the station.

All three NJ towns feature beach front walkways.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you decide!

Shinkansenfan

There is a station at Bleecker Street, but it's only served by the 6 train, so you'd have to change somewhere (probably the out-of-station interchange between Lexington Ave 53rd St and 51st St stations - not easy).

The connection noted above is entirely underground, and is a free transfer between the two subway stations.

It is actually one of the busiest transfer points within the NYCT system!

me123

Established Member
^ You're right - I got mixed up with the OOSI between 59th and 63rd Streets on Lexington Ave - D'Oh!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

In which case Cold Spring on Metro North ticks a lot of boxes. Sit on the left hand side going out to get the river views.

Red Dragon

Excellent -thank you all for your help.

I do like to pre-plan and this will make our trip much easier and more enjoyable.

Red Dragon

If headed to Bleecker Street, W 4 Street Station may be a good station to alight (depends upon where on Bleecker St your son's apartment is located). To get to that station, you can either take AirTrain JFK to Jamaica, then transfer to a Manhattan bound E train.

Or take AirTrain JFK to Howard Beach, then transfer to a Manhattan bound A train.

I prefer the E because it runs more frequently, passes under better neighborhoods, and has a shorter AirTrain JFK ride.

The AirTrain to Jamaica and the E train to W 4 Street Station looks to be the favourite, as it's a short walk to the flat from there.

We won't have masses of luggage, just a suitcase and a rucksack each, as we usually travel light, so I'm sure it will be fine.

I'll have a look at all the other suggestions before we leave on the 16th.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

Shinkansenfan

The AirTrain to Jamaica and the E train to W 4 Street Station looks to be the favourite, as it's a short walk to the flat from there.

We won't have masses of luggage, just a suitcase and a rucksack each, as we usually travel light, so I'm sure it will be fine.

I'll have a look at all the other suggestions before we leave on the 16th.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

Red Dragon, you are welcome. Let me know if I can provide further information to make your family's trip more enjoyable.

Pity that you are not in NYC this weekend, as one trainset of the Transit Authority's vintage museum fleet will make an excursion to The Bronx (proper spelling), and that trip is open the public to ride (special tickets needed).

One other tip-- during weekends, check www.mta.info for a list of engineering works that can and will disrupt subway route travel plans. Trains are re-routed, certain routes cancelled, stops skipped, etc. to allow for engineering works. The official subway map (paper version) during weekends is not to be trusted!

With the Internet, it is so much easier to plan out things in advance.

Last edited:

iphone76

When I lived in NYC, I used to take the train from Grand Central to Greenwich in Connecticut. It is about 30 mins on the express train, has a typical American high street and sits on the coast. In high Summer you can also catch a ferry to some beach islands in Long Island sound.

Another trip I used to make was from NY Penn Station via New Jersey Transit down to Belmar on the Jersey Shore. It is a longish trip along the coast which is quite pleasant. Again, it has a little town and a lovely beach with bars and restaurants.

Esmenfif

When I lived in NYC, I used to take the train from Grand Central to Greenwich in Connecticut. It is about 30 mins on the express train, has a typical American high street and sits on the coast. In high Summer you can also catch a ferry to some beach islands in Long Island sound.

There is nothing 'typical' about Greenwich, Connecticut...it is one of the wealthiest towns in the whole country, and its 'main street' is representative of that fact. I'm not saying it is a bad place to visit if one wants to get out of the city, but don't think of it as 'typical' of America in anyway whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.