• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New York for Spotting Trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gareth taylor

I'm to New York next month, and wondering if its ok for spotting trains while I'm other there?

Also, is there any books at all with Locos and / or Units and / or coaching stock that I can buy, here or out there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philabos

Gareth
Depends upon where in New York you plan to visit.
Grand Central Station hosts only suburban services but it is fairly easy to visit the departure tracks. Penn Station has both intercity and suburban services. The access to intercity trains is restricted to ticket holders. Depending on where you will be there are many suburban locations where you can view intercity trains in New Jersey and Connecticut. Photography is allowed but as in the UK security sometimes make up,their own rules. If you can provide for specifics perhaps I can help.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgot to mention, you may want to visit this site for a detailed list of motive power
http://www.thedieselshop.us

Springs Branch

Established Member
If you're staying solely in Manhattan, there are hardly any locations for old-school train spotting, but if you can travel just a few miles out there are better opportunities.

1) If you want to observe a busy commuter railway with frequent 3rd rail EMUs and some diesel-hauled local trains, you could try LIRR's Jamaica Station in Queens. Getting to Jamaica involves either a short (partly underground) trip by LIRR train from Penn Station, or via the E or J-trains on the NY Subway.

2) If you want to see a variety of suburban, inter-city (North-East Corridor) and possibly freight trains out in the open air, I've heard Elizabeth station, across the Hudson in New Jersey is a good, reasonably safe spot. You need to catch a NJ Transit train from Penn Station to get to Elizabeth.

3) The trip alongside the river to somewhere like Croton Harmon on Metro-North's Hudson Line is quite scenic and an enjoyable train ride. But there may be less traffic to see on this line compared to some others.

I've done the Croton Harmon & Jamaica options myself (if you'd enjoy an hour at Clapham Junction, you'll enjoy Jamaica too), and planned to visit Elizabeth, but had my plans thwarted at the last minute.

I always find it very interesting to "compare and contrast" rail operations in the north-eastern USA to the way of doing things in UK.

Last edited:

philabos

All good suggestions.
Another I would add is Larchmont, about a 35 minute tide on Metro North's New Haven line.
A very nice, safe station with suburban trains as well as the New York Boston intercity trains.
Elizabeth is a possibility but Metro Park and New Brunswick also possibilities although a little bit further out. This line provides the most variety with New York Washington trains as well as trains to Florida and the Southeast.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have a fleet list for the NY Subway on Excel, but it's 12 years out of date. If it's still of interest, I'd be happy to e-mail it to you if you PM me.

Searle

Established Member
I went to Jamaica and a bit further out than Croton Harmon, to Dobbs Ferry when I went, both were pretty good for photting, the first being much busier than the second!

I never ran into any problems when photting or spotting, but I don't think they like you going down to the ends of platforms on Penn station (not that it's very nice down there anyway)

cle

Established Member
On the NE Corridor - why not Newark Penn?

In addition to the trains through Elizabeth, it also has the PATH and Raritan Valley trains, plus everything stops there if interested in stopping patterns or patronage, and you can get refreshments etc... station is very busy and perfectly safe.

Rest of the city, less so! But there is a subway/light rail and another station (Broad St) with trains back to the City so you could mix it up.

Or check out Hoboken/Secaucus transfer station...

tripleseis

Another heads up for Larchmont (my dad and family live there). Rye is also worth a visit. Lots of nice little towns (well it's actually just urban sprawl) along the NE Corridor up into Connecticut. Greenwich and Stamford are also worth a visit. Lots of Amtrak services stop at Stamford, CT.

Hopefully heading back over there this Autumn for a visit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.