• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New York's Transit Museum Fan Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

Hello, people. My pc took a dive last week. It was infiltrated by a virus called Secrity Tool. It took over the op system and wouldn't let me do anything unless I was to open it. Instead, I had the unit professionally gone over and now it's ultra-quick and very good. I have been trying to get a reservation for a trip out of Brooklyn from the Transit Museum. That day they will run a consist of LowV units including one of the oldest in the system which is usually on display in the museum The original design goes way back to about 1915 and thousands were built over the following 20 years or so. I haven't been able to get through because I had to work bugs out od my pc, but now it's all good.I will able to supply you with lots of photographs from the day, providing I can get a spot. The trip will go through Brooklyn and many parts of my home town area of the Bronx. I'm pumped! How often does the LU operate fan trips such as this?

Attachments

• img_15539.jpg
    img_15539.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 18
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

Typically LU has one or two events a year, with some events consisting of a number of trips. These are generally organised by the London Transport Museum using their preserved stock, but a private group has also preserved a set of 1960 prototype stock.

Most recently the stock used has been 1938 tube stock, the last of which left regular service in 1988. This stock is capable of going pretty much anywhere on the Underground network, being built to the smaller of the Underground's two loading gauges.

For special trains LU also sometimes uses an early 1900s electric locomotive, Sarah Siddons, dating from when Metropolitan line trains were hauled by electric locos from the city centre to the outskirts, where they changed to steam haulage for the remainder of the journey.

Going back a few years, some notable events I can remember are:

* Steam on the Met, when Sarah Siddons was used along with steam locos to haul various trains over a weekend on the outer branches of the Metropolitan line. These events ran over several years with minor variations, and I got a fantastic cab ride at the end of one day's running in 1990.

* Gatwick Express around the Circle line, where Sarah Siddons hauled a set of mainline Gatwick (Airport) Express coaches around various parts of the subsurface lines - mid 1980s

* Sarah Siddons on the mainline, where minor adaptions to power in the loco allowed touring around mainline railways to the south west of London - speed not very high, but a unique experience

There is also the ex-tube stock operating on the Isle of Wight, which is well worth a visit.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just remembered that the Gatwick Express stock tour of the Circle line was actually hauled by battery locomotives, not Sarah Siddons (even wackier)

subway156

I am so happy that I was able to snag a ticket for the June 6th trip on the very old and wonderfully restored LOW-V cars in NYC. $45.00 US wasn't all that bad. It is supposed to cover areas of brooklyn and the Bronx at great lengths. I will have pictures to share here.

subway156

I had a very exciting day on this trip. These were the trains that introduced me to rail travel as a child. They ran on the elevated line just 2 blocks from where my family lived. We heard them running before we saw them because of our location and that sound was duplicated on the trip this past Sunday. Those old gears were humming and moning load in the tunnels. It was awesome because these cars really reached high speeds and maintained them during our dashes from one location to the next. We did so because we were running in-between regularly scheduled runs. Here are some pix from the day. It was a very well done trip. That's me with the goofy look on my face. There were 5 cars altogether. 2 built in 1924 and 3 built in 1917!

Attachments

• 2efi6mp.jpg
    2efi6mp.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 4675526217_bfb8b5a86e_b.jpg
    4675526217_bfb8b5a86e_b.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8110.jpg
    IMG_8110.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 4675535529_1e139f0794_b.jpg
    4675535529_1e139f0794_b.jpg