• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbie Train Guard - ATW

Status
Not open for further replies.

BILLYBEZ

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and am starting my training as a Train Guard with Arriva Trains Wales at Cardiff on October 3rd.

Have not yet handed in my notice so all very surreal at moment and a little bit life changing.

Just wondered if anybody else was starting the same day as me and for those already employed I would like to say hello.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and am starting my training as a Train Guard with Arriva Trains Wales at Cardiff on October 3rd.

Have not yet handed in my notice so all very surreal at moment and a little bit life changing.

Just wondered if anybody else was starting the same day as me and for those already employed I would like to say hello.

Many thanks.

Hi there and congratulations from an ATW guard! Didn't know there was another course starting so soon (there are two ongoing at the moment). What depot are you off to?

craigybagel

Established Member
Cardiff.....the valleys line I'm assuming. How do you find the job?

Not necessarily, they've been taking on new guards for the mainline side lately so you might be going there.

Great job, decent employers, great pay and perks, you'll have a ball :D

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Many thanks.

Welcome to the railway, BillyBez - but I think you should hand your notice in to your current employer PDQ (i'ts only fairy, after all).

If you search this forum, you will see a lot of stuff on ATW (good and bad :) )

I wish you a successful, safe and rewarding career. (fraid I left many years ago, but did work in SWales for a time)

Hi there and congratulations from an ATW guard! Didn't know there was another course starting so soon (there are two ongoing at the moment). What depot are you off to?

Are ATW hiring drivers out of curiosity? Not that I want to become one, but I gather there's a bit of a shortage.

BILLYBEZ

Oh yes I realise of course I have to hand my notice in
but only have to give 4 weeks notice which is this Friday.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Oh yes I realise of course I have to hand my notice in
but only have to give 4 weeks notice which is this Friday.

Ah - of course. For some reason I read Oct 3 and my brain made it Sept 3.

And, in honour of my dear old Swansea-born landlady, I should have said: It's only fairs fair. (Or perhaps that should be only fair's fair - I'm not sure of Abertawe grammar rules :) )

craigybagel

Established Member
Are ATW hiring drivers out of curiosity? Not that I want to become one, but I gather there's a bit of a shortage.

I believe there are already trainees picked for the next few courses, and an Advert was placed a few weeks ago for qualified as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is also at least one drivers course currently ongoing. The drivers from that will soon be doing their 250 hours with an instructor, if they haven't started already.

Status
Not open for further replies.