• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbie, trying to enter industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlee

Hey,

Well the situation is i ahve just come out of Uni, and i am trying to look for a job. How fustrating the process is sometimes. But i am interested in rail and rail transport and would love to work in the industry. However i dont want to be a train driver i just want a simple station job or soemthing similar.

Are there many around? Is it easy to get into the industry without hardly any expreince. I have admin and data entry expreince.

I live in Plymouth so would ideally be something with FGW, can anyone give me any pointers?

cheers
charlee

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyBoo

i got told today about a conductor job going with fgw. ive not looked so dont know what depot. you will never go short on railway jobs. go to atoc.org and click the companies tab. there is a list of all the uk rail operators. you can find their recruitment pages from their links o atoc. good luck

RJ

Established Member
Hey,

Well the situation is i ahve just come out of Uni, and i am trying to look for a job. How fustrating the process is sometimes. But i am interested in rail and rail transport and would love to work in the industry. However i dont want to be a train driver i just want a simple station job or soemthing similar.

Are there many around? Is it easy to get into the industry without hardly any expreince. I have admin and data entry expreince.

I live in Plymouth so would ideally be something with FGW, can anyone give me any pointers?

cheers
charlee

Unless you have inside contacts, the best way is to keep an eye on the First Group's vacancies - https://firstgroup.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/job_search.php?view_all=1

Established Member
Hey,

cheers
charlee

Quite a lot of competition for jobs, plus there are people out there who have several years's experience and have been made redundant.

Best thing to do is apply for everything going and keep looking on the job lists. Some of them are only advertised for a few days and then they disappear due to the volume of applications.

Clip

Established Member
What did you go to Uni to study and why are you not going for something that you study for instead of the railway?

As Rj has said - just keep viewing the first group website for jobs if thats all you want. if not try looking into the NR graduate scheme - yes you will have to move but hey, you want to work in the railway so you may have to move.

Beveridges

Established Member
Even if you have a Degree in something, its best do not restrict yourself to just what you studied in, that (1) leaves less options available and (2) sometimes you can get a better job that is not related to what you did your Degree in & it does not even have to be one that requires a Degree. Some of the entry level railway jobs that require no qualifications above GCSE are actually a lot better than some of the jobs that ask for a Degree that are seen outside the railway industry. Better in all areas - hours, pay and workload. Just compare for example a Station Despatch job that pays about 25k with Sundays with a typically low workload, compared to a Graduate IT Programming Job that pays £15k and the workload is hard as hell. In IT the conditions are tough and the stress level is immense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.