• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle Day Out - 12th March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Well, I wasn't initially go to do one of these but here goes :)

The day started on 185124 to Newcastle. Thanks to the 25% off offer that TPE were doing, I made this journey First Class, which was a pleasant change. FC was fairly busy but I had a table for two to myself for most of the journey. Arrival was due at 11:07, but actually arrived some 5 minutes early, which was useful.

I made my way to the Metro station to fathom out the ticket machine. After finding the correct ticket then a machine that would accept money, I got the A+B+C Day Rover for the princely sum of £4.40. Thanks to Benno, I'd had word that 1E10, the 11:28 East Coast service to Kings Cross was going to be formed of the Skyfall liveried set. With this due on platform 3 and my intended service, the 11:30 to Middlesbrough, due on platform 5, I had a little time to work out a plan.

Waiting on platform 3 in glorious sunshine (it actually felt warm!), a 66 hauled freight initially appeared and headed through platform 4, before the EC service arrived on 3 a rather handy 3 minutes early at 11:24. Pictures taken, I made a gentle walk to my service across the bridge, formed of ex-FGW 142068 and we bounced along to Sunderland, cautioned most of the way after Heworth. Sunderland really reminds me of the likes of Birmingham New Street, although the illuminated walls do help.

After a quick wander out of the station, I returned to take the 12:10 service to South Hylton, formed of 4081 and 4060, travelling on the former. It was at this point I realised that these units offer fantastic views, sat next to the drivers cab, allowing me to get a proper drivers eye view of the line. I returned on the same sets (at the front of 4060 this time) to St Peter's, as I had seen the roadbridge and that it was only a short walk back to Sunderland.

For those following the photography discussions, you may have seen the thread I posted about photography and the Metro and my conversations with Nexus (having done this hoping to seek some assurances but actually opening a can of worms that I wish I just hadn't!). My departure at St Peter's was with the hope of getting a photo from the roadbridge, as it looked a good public vantage point. A short wait on the bridge, also noting the Stadium of Light just in the distance, and I managed to get my first shot of a Metro unit :D. I continued walking, meandering through the centre streets of Sunderland (no doubt, not a permitted route for what should have likely been a direct journey ;)) and called in to BK next to the station for a quick lunch (it was now past 1pm!) before heading for the 13:35 service to go as far as Pelaw. Worked by 4059 and 4003, I took place at the back of the rear unit, for a different view of the line, and we continued on the short hop to Pelaw.

Time to clear off the other branch. Only a short wait later and 4029 and 4058 turned up at 13:58 to journey to South Shields, again travelling on the front unit (you may begin to spot a pattern here!)
The difference with this set, was it was one of the overhauled ones, and looked a heck of a lot better than the last few I had been on. I also think the new livery looks rather smart and probably helps to make them look a bit newer than they are (LED external lights would have probably improved the refurb, mind)
The intention was to remain on this unit part way round the Yellow Line loop, maybe jumping off near the coast. As we headed round, the sun had now gone in and I could tell it was starting to feel somewhat cooler. Approaching Tynemouth, I began to recognise having visited the area with family before. As we appeared to be heading out of Tynemouth coupled with it getting colder, wanting to have some spare time to have a wonder by the Tyne and that I now had prime location (very front) on the service, I decided to stay on right through to St James (oh, and I also knew that all the following units were non refurb too!)

Before this though, having had a heads up from Anon Mouse about Tynemouth station, I couldn't fail to be impressed with the magnificence of the canopies...a complete contrast to many of the other stations on the Metro.

Continuing onwards, we passed (what I now realise to have been) Heaton TMD, devoid of almost anything apart from one lone Grand Central Mk 3 carriage, Byker (not Grove!) and on to St James. From here I thought it would be wise to go for a wander, having worked out I had been on the same unit for a staggering 1 hour and 25 mins - this only being from leaving South Shields and not accounting for the time spent on it to there too! I wandered out of the station (past the row of bypassed ticket barriers, which seem to be a common feature round Tyneside at the moment), initially wondering where St James's Park was, not realising it was above me. I was very much right about the temperature dropping as here it was positively chilly! A quick photo taken and a walk in a huge circle around the entrance to the Metro, and I headed back to the station.

I was only going the one stop to Monument and 4050 along with 4023 rolled in. Naturally, I was hoping for the front again, but this was occupied by a couple of Police Officers, so I sat further along while the driver seemed to be in a mild panic about, from what I could hear, the PIS system not playing ball. Monument soon arrived and, with a point in the direction from a friendly staff member, found my way to the Airport bound platform where 4011 and 4012 soon arrived.

The service was fairly well loaded, so I was stood for a bit of the journey. One thing I noticed about this line, as we got past the junction at South Gosforth, was the number of unbarriered level crossings, which seem more prevalent on this line than anywhere else. Cars and pedestrians crossing in constant succession even as we approached the protecting signal (having travelled a lot on NR, this did seem a bit odd!)
I guess the lack of barriers allows for things to be on the way much quicker as trains are fairly regular and also only go very slowly across the crossings.

The journey to the Airport passed ny fairly quickly and on arrival, I had a walk up to the Airport itself. Outside the airport, I was able to see some of the runway (it looked like it was anyway, and there was a guy stood with a camera and rather hefty lens on the bridge too!) and also noticed that I had done an effective loop as there was the Metro station too. Unfortunately, all the trains seemed to be using one platform, the one at the opposite side to where I was, but a quick walk further along and I was able to grab another quick picture from the top of the ramp near to the entrance to the on-site hotel. Walking the other way, I was able to see a couple of the smaller planes before I headed for the Metro again and to escape the cold!

What turned to be my final pairing for today was 4003 and 4059 for a second time. Having sat at the back of 4003 the last time, I this time sat at the front, back in 4003 (same place, going the opposite way, if I've confused matters there!). The journey back confirmed another small problem with the level crossing design. As we were held at a protecting signal, a set coming the other way was signalled across the crossing, before traffic returned briefly to normal. It then had to be stopped for a second time before we got cautioned (yellow signal on a seemingly 2 aspect head, probably because the distance we had to travel to the crossing) through ourselves to continue. As it was now after 5, it came as no huge surprise that the section from South Gosforth onward was fairly busy and the train got so busy, people were struggling to get on or off. As I wanted to go along the Tyne, and had plenty spare time to do so, I remained on through Central Station (partially hoping it may get quieter there, but it didn't) and instead went back across the Tyne and bailed (eventually!) at Gateshead.

It was now starting to get a little dusky and was even cooler than before. Nonetheless, I headed downhill towards the river, and without any GPS guidance, made it to Tyne Bridge. I walked out a little to get my bearings before realising that to get a photo of the Millennium bridge and surrounding area, I was on the wrong side in heavy traffic...typical! Still, I was able to get a quick shot of the High Level Bridge (too many bridges!), complete on one shot with a Pacer, and walked back whence I had come to cross and walk along the other side. I had initially wanted to walk to the Millennium Bridge and cross via it, but time was starting to look too tight to do so, so I continued along the Tyne Bridge, stopping for a little while to get some photos.

Now with my hands positively freezing, I meandered my way, following various road signs back to Newcastle station, where the day had begun. I had arrived with over 40 minutes to spare, though my train appeared to be already in the station. Having visited the station Sainsburys Local to sort food before boarding, I passed through the barriers and found 185130 ready to work the 18:52 service to Manchester Airport. I had hoped to get on in good time, but the doors were not released until 18:49! So late, there was quite a crowd now by the train and a few people jabbing door buttons in the hope they may do something. I was again First Class, along with one other person for the most of the journey. We departed on time (it came quite quickly, but with only 3 minutes between boarding and booked leaving, that wasn't much of a surprise). Our service was booked to call at Chester-le-Street, where it seemed half of the passengers left the service and it remained quiet for the rest of the journey (such that I actually started writing this on the way back, paying such little attention to other goings on, I somehow missed our call at Northallerton!!!)

All in all, a very enjoyable day and a nice opportunity to visit Newcastle again, which I haven't done for some time.

Selection of pictures taken on the day to follow :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Very interesting that 4058 and 4029 are still paired! They were when I went up there nearly a month ago!

Agreed too that the refurb'd ones are far nicer than the non-refurb ones, the former are getting more and more finally. As for the stations, I thought Whitley Bay and North Shields were the most impressive personally. Didn't visit St James Park when I went, treating myself to that one day for a home game :) As for photos, well I've got some of the Metro without issue, which was surprising compared to the previous attempt to do photting up there in January 2009.

Crossover

Established Member
Very interesting that 4058 and 4029 are still paired! They were when I went up there nearly a month ago!

Agreed too that the refurb'd ones are far nicer than the non-refurb ones, the former are getting more and more finally. As for the stations, I thought Whitley Bay and North Shields were the most impressive personally. Didn't visit St James Park when I went, treating myself to that one day for a home game :) As for photos, well I've got some of the Metro without issue, which was surprising compared to the previous attempt to do photting up there in January 2009.

Don't remember North Shields but Whitley Bay is another nice looking station.

St James as a station is nothing to write home about...just a lot of concrete really - the platforms are below ground level too.

Excellent report. We need far more like this.

My favourite section on the forum.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully my reports aren't too lengthy...the phrase "I didn't have time to write a shorter one" springs to mind :P

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Nice report there, gald you enjoyed your trip. Eagarly awaiting your snaps!

Lee_Again

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully my reports aren't too lengthy...the phrase "I didn't have time to write a shorter one" springs to mind :P

Trip reports should be detailed. This is the one place where we can be anal.

Ticket prices, good food outlets, beer options, where to stand on platforms etc. etc. is all good information.

Love the phrase "not enough time to do a short one". I'll use that myself when the opportunity arrises.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Lee_Again, I have at least 4 trip reports from this year waiting to be typed up but other stuff keeps coming up. Agreed trip reports should be reasonably detailed, particularly if it's useful tips for fellow enthusiasts.

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments :)

Here are some pics from my camera - I think I have odd ones on the phone too, so I may put those on at some point too

The 007 DVT keads the way into Newcastle station
1.JPG
007 coach(es)
2.JPG
91107 - aka 91007 on the rear of 1E10
3.JPG
142068 awaits departure to Middlesbrough via Sunderland. 91107 departs platform 3 in the background
4.JPG
4012 leads a Metro set out of St Peters on a service to South Hylton
5.JPG
The same units head across the bridge over the River Wear
6.JPG
St James Park!
7.JPG
4073 (I think) forms the rear unit on a working to South Hylton from the Airport
8.JPG
A couple of smaller planes stand on the tarmac at Newcastle International Airport
9.JPG
An unknown Class 142 Pacer heads into Newcastle on the High Level Bridge
10.JPG

Crossover

Established Member
Here are the last couple for now :)

Not rail related this time, but a couple of shots of the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and surrounding area, taken from the Tyne Bridge

11.JPG
12.JPG

HST Power

Established Member
Nice photographs, and a really interesting trip report too. I seldom visit this section of the forum but a trip report on Newcastle was something I couldn't miss! :)

It's a great city - I wish I got to visit more often. Even if it is a bit cold, I wouldn't rule out moving there at some point in the future either.

I've used the Metro from the Airport down to Monument and Haymarket many times. It's an excellent system.

william

Established Member
Another couple of good locations are Sunderland Civic Centre

greenlinetraindepartscentralforsouthhylton2.jpg

alocalstoppingserviceapproachesboundfortynesideandthetynevalley.jpg

and Pelaw footbridge

pelawjunctionasalocalstoppingserviceboundforteessideviasunderlandpasses.jpg

GBrfclass66headseastwithatrainofcoalempties.jpg

HST Power

Established Member
Pelaw Footbridge looks excellent. Is it near the station and what kind of traffic do you get?

Established Member
The footbridge leads to the platforms - so you see all the Metros in the world, and anything going down the Durham Coast.

william

Established Member
One is. There's another footbridge a few hundred yards further east (first picture), easily accessible via public path from former.

Traction, metro's on both routes, metro carraige sidings, pacers and 156 super sprinters on locals, 66 and 67's, HST on GC workings when theyre travelling between depot between runs, plus other rarer appearances such as 37's on flasks, test trains, etc.

Established Member
Another tip for those of you travelling up for the metros, if you're at Pelaw (especially if there at luchtime) take a bit time out and walk down into Pelaw itself, just head downwards from the footbridge, turn left at the end of the road and within 5 minutes, you're there. Nothing spectacular but there's a few shops, a couple of chippys, a post office, ATM and a big Aldi for stocking up for going home.

Jaz n Jays is the best of the 2 chippys, it sell the obligatory fish and chips but burgers, pizza and wraps too and trust me, its good grub, yeah you'll have to wait 'till its cooked but it tastes better and far cheaper than you'll pay at McDs or Burger King and get far more for your money. The half pound burgers are fantastic. I lived there for 3 years (that's in Pelaw not the chippy) and is certainly worth a visit.

Aldi is as cheap as chips too and only across the road is the ATM. when you come out of Aldi's Car Park, if you turn left and left at the Roundabout there's also another footbridge overlooking Pelaw metro station, where you'll be able to take photos from. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.