• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newest level crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shimbleshanks

The Amlwch branch acquired a light-controlled open level crossing very close to one of the three gated crossings when the Amlwch bypass was built. Memory is unclear, but I think it was some time in the 1980s.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The Amlwch branch acquired a light-controlled open level crossing very close to one of the three gated crossings when the Amlwch bypass was built. Memory is unclear, but I think it was some time in the 1980s.
A little earlier; the bypass was for construction traffic along the A5025 heading toward Wylfa power station, in the 1960s. The original three gated crossings would have been from the 1950s, with the opening of the Octel plant in Amlwch.

Shimbleshanks

A little earlier; the bypass was for construction traffic along the A5025 heading toward Wylfa power station, in the 1960s. The original three gated crossings would have been from the 1950s, with the opening of the Octel plant in Amlwch.
No, the bypass opened many years after Wylfa was complete. I think the council got a bit of money from the Welsh office to build it. I should know, I lived in Amlwch for 15 years.

krus_aragon

Established Member
No, the bypass opened many years after Wylfa was complete. I think the council got a bit of money from the Welsh office to build it. I should know, I lived in Amlwch for 15 years.
Hm. It seems I managed to misremember things, then. Sorry. I'll admit that I was going on memory of my father's experience of living in Amlwch, not my own.

I'll refresh the details when I next see him.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've double-checked with him, and he reckons the bypass through the middle of town would have been around 1964. He mentioned Lon Parys, the bypass of Wesley St , as having opened in 1974, but from what I can make out, that bypass rejoined the tail end of Wesley St just before it crossed the Octel branch (so wouldn't have been a new level crossing).

Lon Parys is shown on my 1974 1:50k OS map, but annoyingly I can't find any of my earlier ones at the moment to check further.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
There's a level crossing on the Holmes Chord in Rotherham that opened in 1987.

Edders23

Don’t know the answer, but both the Littleport bypass and Downham Market Bypass LCs were opened in the late 80s IIRC.

I've been over the Downham market one hadn't realised it was that old thought that road was newer than that well you learn something every day

Status
Not open for further replies.