• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newquay on summer Saturdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
There's a trailing crossover just W of Par, so down trains could use the up platform.
Is there a facing point lock on the A-end of the crossover? Even if there is, is it signalled from the Up Main platform, not just the Loop one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nanstallon

I remember many years ago there was a morning train from Plymouth to Penzance with a Newquay through portion - 2 x 2 car Sprinters. It came in on the branch platform where it was divided, the Penzance portion continuing down the loop, behind the signalbox to rejoin the down main line.

Choo choo 66

There's a trailing crossover just W of Par, so down trains could use the up platform. There's not such an intensive service that this would cause problems, 2tph each way on the mains on a summer
Down trains can’t use the up platform as it isn’t signalled for this

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Down trains could use the loop platform in theory but it would mean the Newquay train could not be there at the same time.

richw

Veteran Member
My experience of doing a summer Saturday HST on a sunny afternoon in 2013 was pretty lightly loaded.
Can’t remember the exact year, but since 2015 when I moved to Liskeard I met up with other members of this forum to do gunnislake branch and then HST to Newquay from Plymouth and back.
We pretty much had the HST to ourselves on the branch in both directions with very few Normal passengers.

irish_rail

Established Member
Can’t remember the exact year, but since 2015 when I moved to Liskeard I met up with other members of this forum to do gunnislake branch and then HST to Newquay from Plymouth and back.
We pretty much had the HST to ourselves on the branch in both directions with very few Normal passengers.
The trouble is this year isn't going to be like any normal year. And I also suspect you didn't travel on the Newquay HST during Boardmasters .

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The trouble is this year isn't going to be like any normal year.

Yes, GWR have fleet issues so don't have spare IETs knocking around to send to Newquay.

. And I also suspect you didn't travel on the Newquay HST during Boardmasters .

The solution to that is an amended timetable for that week (or however long it is), not the entire summer.

richw

Veteran Member
And I also suspect you didn't travel on the Newquay HST during Boardmasters .
They always put additional extras for Boardmasters and dont run the Normal timetable that week anyway so Boardmasters week is irrelevant to the overall discussion

geoffk

Established Member
But surely you can't take surfboards any more - or is that just on the IET?

nanstallon

I saw a GWR poster last week that specifically said you can't take surfboards onto IETs. It said that you could take them on local trains like Sprinters. Mini-HSTs?

D6975

Established Member
They used to run a HST from PAD with an extra TGS added, which wasn't for passenger use, surfboards only. Perhaps they might entertain the addition of a TGS to a Castle set?

Down trains could use the loop platform in theory but it would mean the Newquay train could not be there at the same time.
That wouldn't be that much of an issue would it? Just run it up the branch to the first signal and back while the PAD is in P3.

Last edited:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
That wouldn't be that much of an issue would it? Just run it up the branch to the first signal and back while the PAD is in P3.

It’s not very practical, it would mean the branch unit would need about 15 mins at Par (at least) to shunt to/from Chapel Siding. More practical than going to St Blazey.

More problematic is that platform 3 can only partially accommodate a 9-10 car IET so it would require SDO door release, and I suspect that is set up on the assumption that the train is going to Newquay and would release the rear 5-6 coaches rather than the front 5. Not ideal.

clagmonster

Established Member
They used to run a HST from PAD with an extra TGS added, which wasn't for passenger use, surfboards only. Perhaps they might entertain the addition of a TGS to a Castle set?.
A very fanciful idea but how about the trailers from two castle sets, one of the TGS for surfboards, on a Padd - Newquay, two five car IETs on west country locals to fill the void.

43 302

Established Member
A very fanciful idea but how about the trailers from two castle sets, one of the TGS for surfboards, on a Padd - Newquay, two five car IETs on west country locals to fill the void.
Castles aren't cleared (by GW) into Paddington. Not going to happen.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
You will struggle to path a 100mph train along the ML out of Paddington, even on a Saturday.

43 302

Established Member
You will struggle to path a 100mph train along the ML out of Paddington, even on a Saturday.
Wouldn't be 100mph though if it was 2+7/8 as the OP had suggested. GW could run 2+4s at 125mph if they wanted too but that's a whole other debate...

D6975

Established Member
Another option would be to change the branch service completely to being a 2 hourly Plymouth-Newquay operated by two sets, doing away with the change at Par for down passengers. Plymouth - Newquay is comfortably under two hours once the 10 min connection time at Par is removed, the two sets would cross just E of Par. This would provide better connections with XC services and do away with the accessibility problems. The major problem of course would be the sourcing of the extra stock to facilitate this.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Another option would be to change the branch service completely to being a 2 hourly Plymouth-Newquay operated by two sets, doing away with the change at Par for down passengers. Plymouth - Newquay is comfortably under two hours once the 10 min connection time at Par is removed, the two sets would cross just E of Par. This would provide better connections with XC services and do away with the accessibility problems. The major problem of course would be the sourcing of the extra stock to facilitate this.

And also the extra paths on the single line across the bridge at Saltash.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Wouldn't be 100mph though if it was 2+7/8 as the OP had suggested. GW could run 2+4s at 125mph if they wanted too but that's a whole other debate...

You need functional ATP to run at more than 100mph on the GWML.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Surely there are rather more more out-of-county visitors destined for St Austell, Truro and Penzance combined than Newquay? A four car 150 set for Newquay passengers does not sound implausible to me. There's a quality bus service between Truro and Newquay too, although of course we let ourselves down in this country by making it impossible to book a long-distance ticket to Newquay this way.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Yes. Are you saying that GWR have removed the ATP from their HST sets? Because that's not my understanding.

I thought it had been removed/ mothballed but happy to be corrected. In which case yes, a 2+5 or longer could run at 125mph linespeed.

Veteran Member
And also the extra paths on the single line across the bridge at Saltash.
Back in the day (I think around 1970) the Newquay branch train routinely started back from Bodmin Road (Parkway), allowing the expresses to skip Par (and Lostwithiel) and providing same-platform interchange.
The main line is too busy for that now!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Back in the day (I think around 1970) the Newquay branch train routinely started back from Bodmin Road (Parkway), allowing the expresses to skip Par (and Lostwithiel) and providing same-platform interchange.
The main line is too busy for that now!
Also no signalling at Bodmin permitting you to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.