• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

News and updates on model railway products

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Most definitely. It looks to be a very good model and at those prices you can't say that's a bad deal. Just hoping now that other manufacturers might follow suit! :lol:

That is a good price actually. It looks like a lovely model.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
I will thinking of writing to all the manufacturers / suppliers that I have orders with to complain about their poor communication on the delays etc.

DB

Has anyone seen any timescales for the various commissioned HST models which Dapol are doing for various retailers (Gaugemaster, Rails, and one in Scotland whose name I forget)? None of the websites gave any indication last time I looked.

reddragon

Established Member
Ever Given is passing Ibiza now. Apparently it failed its seaworthiness inspection and has been limited to 10 knots. It will sail to Rotterdam and be fully unloaded.

The consequences of this are: -

1 - At that speed it will not make Rotterdam on 25th July at 18:00 as predicted. It has c 2000 miles to do at 10 mph, that's 200 hours or 9 days, so July 30-31.
2 - Instead of the ship unloading them coming to the UK, it will be unloaded, stored and then reloaded onto another ship to queue to enter the UK.

So, will they arrive in August at all?

Peter C

Established Member
Ever Given is passing Ibiza now. Apparently it failed its seaworthiness inspection and has been limited to 10 knots. It will sail to Rotterdam and be fully unloaded.

1 - At that speed it will not make Rotterdam on 25th July at 18:00 as predicted. It has c 2000 miles to do at 10 mph, that's 200 hours or 9 days, so July 30-31.
2 - Instead of the ship unloading them coming to the UK, it will be unloaded, stored and then reloaded onto another ship to queue to enter the UK.

I expect Dapol aren't going to be too happy with this news! Whether the UK-bound items arrive here in August depends on how long it takes to find another ship with enough space on, I suppose. I'd guess that maybe Dapol's products will get here at the tail-end of August or maybe within the first few days of September.

-Peter

Established Member

The ETA on the marine traffic has the 29/07/21 02:01.

1627058631124.png

Peter C

Established Member
This morning, on Model Railway News...
  • Accurascale Class 92s in OO gauge - decorated samples expected by the end of July and reveal expected early-to-mid-August
  • Gaugemaster announce N gauge Class 59 (59003)
  • Flangeway/Footplate Salmon wagons - version 2.0 samples have arrived
  • Peco L&B brake van - updated decorated samples shown
  • World of Railways release video including Rails of Sheffield's 18000 model on the Model Railway Club's test track
So quite a few updates then!

As usual, details given in spoilers below.

Source: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142172-class-92-by-accurascale/page/33/
We have been assured we will now receive them by the end of this month, so reveal should be in early - mid August. Once we get them we will post them on here.
Built by General Motors Electro Motive Division between 1985 and 1995, these powerful diesel electric locomotives were designed to haul heavy freight services as a replacement for the class 56 locomotives. 15 of these locomotoives were produced between 1985 and 1995 with the first one being delivered into Southampton docks in 1986. These locomotives have been painted in various different liveries including DB Cargo, GB Railfreight, Foster Yeoman, Mendip Rail and Amey Roadstone Construction.

GM2210501 Class 59 003 'Yeoman Highlander' GBRf

FEATURES​

• DCC Fitted
  • Detailed body with etched grills and separately fitted hand rails
  • Etched nameplate if appropriate
  • Darkened wheels and pin point bearings
  • All wheel drive
  • All Wheel pick up
  • Directional lighting
  • NEM couplings
  • 5 Pole motor for smoother operation
  • Includes both standard and knuckle couplings
  • Includes spares bag with additional detailing parts
Source: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/153464-salmon-wagon-updates/page/14/
Salmon v2.0...

EP1 has arrived.

Don’t worry, it has been measured before anyone makes any wise cracks!
:D

1627211207823.png1627211223812.png1627211235830.png
Source: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...ton-barnstaple-railway-bogie-goods-brake-van/
Peco have shown updated decorated samples for their range of Lynton & Barnstaple brake van! Pre-order yours: https://t.co/GF7rG0ymcM pic.twitter.com/6NIHqfKAyu

Source: https://www.hattons.co.uk/hattonshe...=mar-0830-pecolyntonbarnstaplebrakevansamples

DCC Capability: Not applicable​

Detailing​

• Bodyshell - factory-fitted separate details​

• Bodyside Steps
    • Chimney
    • Door handles
    • Handrails
  • Chassis/underframe detail : Framework
  • Cab, footplate & interior detail : Detailed
  • Bufferbeam detail (pre-fitted)​

• Pipework - pre-fitted to front
    • Pipework - pre-fitted to rear

Mechanical​

• Working cosmetic features : Working sliding doors
  • Coupling socket/mounting : Non-NEM socket
  • Weighting (to assist adhesion) : Within chassis
  • Body Construction : Plastic
  • Chassis construction : Plastic & metal
  • Minimum radius : Radius 2
  • Coupling type : Narrow gauge hook & loop
Source: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/video-rails-and-accurascale-locos-on-the-mrc-test-track
An exclusive look at Rails LNWR Precedent, Caledonian 812 class and Gast Turbine plus Accurascale Deltic with Lawrence Robins of the MRC and Howard Smith.

If I've missed anything, let me know.

-Peter :)

EDIT: Turns out I did miss something - Rails of Sheffield's new Iron Mink Vans:
Rails is leading the way and innovating for model enthusiasts. These models have been researched, designed and produced solely in the UK.

Manufactured using new cutting-edge technologies featuring:

• A new, ultra high resolution, super strong aeronautical grade PU with a design life exceeding 25 years.
  • A build process using the very latest light technology and is infinitely flexible for making all variants.
  • Low volume production potential for niche, products previously not capable of being produced economically for RTR.
Rails aim to fill the need for niche products, which simply would not justify a large production run. As they are produced in limited quantities, these vans are priced slightly higher than mass produced items, however, we feel the price reflects fantastic value for such distinctive models.

A tremendous amount of research and development has been put into this project to ensure accuracy and true replication has been achieved.
Price: £36.95

Established Member
This morning, on Model Railway News...
  • Accurascale Class 92s in OO gauge - decorated samples expected by the end of July and reveal expected early-to-mid-August

As usual, details given in spoilers below.

Probably in the same shipment as the 92's, the decorated samples for Accurascale's Mk5's are not far away either.

Mark 5, By Accurascale - Page 28 - Accurascale / Irish Railway Models - RMweb
@Accurascale Fran when should we be getting news about the MK5's for the decorated simples?
We're hoping within the next 10 days. Once we have it we will share it here.

Peter C

Established Member
Probably in the same shipment as the 92's, the decorated samples for Accurascale's Mk5's are not far away either.

Mark 5, By Accurascale - Page 28 - Accurascale / Irish Railway Models - RMweb
Ah cool - thanks for sharing. It's good that they should be arriving around the same time.

-Peter :)

==============

More model railway news - just the one update at the moment, from Kernow:

• Kernow Model Centre showcases first engineering prototypes of their GWR Steam Railmotors in OO gauge
Project Update - 26th July2021

We have received the first engineering prototypes of the GWR Steam Railmotor and these are being fully evaulated and tested.
The models have electrical pickups on all wheels, they have full working valve gear including the radius rod and piston valve stem. The 1020 coerless motor is positioned vertically completely hidden inside the actual boiler of the power bogie. They have working directional oil lamps and interior lights. The models will be DCC ready with a 21-pin decoder socket and 28mm speaker preinstalled.
We have already identified a smalll number of minor issues to amend, initial runninng tests show that they run very quietly and smoothly and the valve gear is a joy to watch in action
The livery artwork is underway concurrent with testing these EPs and we hope to see decorated samples by the autumn, we should then be in a position to start to arrange production.

The tooling allows for both the Diagram ‘O’ type and the Diagram ‘R’ type Steam Railmotors to be produced in five versions, as listed below. The diagram O type most obvious differences from the diagram ‘R’ are the larger boiler room windows, double leaf passenger doors and ‘Fishbelly’ rather than ‘Equalising’ bogies.

Click here for details of the versions available
1627323619238.png1627323628492.png1627323638729.png1627323648101.png1627323655609.png
And finally for this update a brief video to show the valve gear in action

This looks like a lovely model - I'd love one for my layout. The price isn't cheap but honestly, it looks superb so far and it's such a cool unit (and local to me, being at Didcot), it's worth it!

-Peter

Last edited:

Established Member
Dapol/Ever Given update - now off Cherbourg and for the last few hours been doing around 1 to 2 knots.

Established Member
It'll get dizzy before too long! ;)
In all seriousness, though, what on earth is up with that?

-Peter
Possibly waiting until its arrival at Rotterdam? Another vessel nearby had a eta of tomorrow while the Ever Given has a eta of the 29th.

Peter C

Established Member
Possibly waiting until its arrival at Rotterdam? Another vessel nearby had a eta of tomorrow while the Ever Given has a eta of the 29th.
Ah yes, should've worked that one out o_O
I hadn't realised it had got so close to Rotterdam!

-Peter

Established Member
Ah yes, should've worked that one out o_O
I hadn't realised it had got so close to Rotterdam!

-Peter
I didn't realize at first as well! Think it is easier to wait in a wider area of the channel and not in the busy Dover/North sea area.

The Ever Given is on the move again and will pass Calais shortly.

Accuascale have posted on the mk5 thread that a update will be posted late in the week.

Peter C

Established Member
I didn't realize at first as well! Think it is easier to wait in a wider area of the channel and not in the busy Dover/North sea area.

The Ever Given is on the move again and will pass Calais shortly.
Super - thanks again for the update :)
At least it's getting here!

Accuascale have posted on the mk5 thread that a update will be posted late in the week.
Again - thanks for the update. I'll keep an eye out for that.

-Peter

Established Member
Super - thanks again for the update :)
At least it's getting here!

Again - thanks for the update. I'll keep an eye out for that.

-Peter
Now I'm on my PC here is the post on the RM web for the Mk5's showing two of the sleeper vehicles.
Hi everyone,

Coming up later this week, a much needed Mark 5 update! Keep your eyes peeled on here, our website, your email inbox, via your milkman and all our usual outlets....

1844815295_16(1).jpg.85d17d82277f256c9b41b5c4c39a1c9f.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

Peter C

Established Member
Now I'm on my PC here is the post on the RM web for the Mk5's showing two of the sleeper vehicles.
Now those look amazing. If I didn't know they were models, I'd have said that was a real photo!

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Ever Given has docked in Rotterdam :)

What is the name of the transfer ship to Felixstowe?
Has a ship for Felixstowe been confirmed/found? My understanding (as of a few days ago) was that the cargo would be unloaded from the Ever Given at Rotterdam and then they would just wait for an available ship which was heading for Felixstowe to put the containers on.

Looking on RMWeb produced this (my bold):
Depends how many boxes need to come off, how many need to go on, and how many need to go back on, but a turnround in 48 hours shouldn't be too difficult in a well equipped container port with several cranes working simultaneously, But on the other hand i have seen large box ships in port unloading/loading for 4 days or so. but she has cargo to transfer to another vessel so might take a lot longer,
Current ETA for Felixstowe is 08 August according to EverGreen
(Source: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...s-ever-given-released-from-suez-canal/page/2/)

And this:
Unloading will take longer as the containers that were due for discharge at Hamburg are coming off at Rotterdam, and will be transhipped. The vessel was due to sail the following day after Rotterdam arrival, for Felixstowe, but not sure if that will still happen, it's not on the Felixstowe expected list.
I wonder if it will be taking on any containers at Rotterdam and Felixstowe, as it probably has to go for further examination and possible repairs.
(Source: as above)

Not sure if this is useful or not?

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Some good news at least from Ever Green boss.

the Ever Given will remain in Rotterdam until Monday, when she's expected to sail for Felixstowe in Britain, before going to into a dry dock in Dunkirk in France for a further inspection.

Established Member
Accurascale's Mk5 update - They look brilliant.
Sweet Dreams Are Made of These - Decorated Mark 5s! — Accurascale
July 30, 2021Fran Burke

Sweet Dreams Are Made of These - Decorated Mark 5s!​

It's been just over six months since we previewed the first tooling samples of our long awaited and highly anticipated Mark 5 coaching stock. A lot of work has gone on behind the scenes to develop our first coach project in that time and today we can bring you a full update on where we're at, the challenges we're currently working on, show you some lovely decorated samples and outline where we go next.
So, first things first; let's have a look at these beautiful sleeper samples!
2_22_600x600.jpg

4_23_600x600.jpg

10_12_600x600.jpg
We always use high resolution, pin sharp images to show off our models (unlike many other manufacturers!), warts and all, so you can get a full close up view of the models. With this in mind, please remember that these are pre-production coaches and fit and finish will be improved further on the production models which will roll around on your layout.
Having said that though, the sleeper coaches are looking mighty fine and promising! We do see some improvements and tweaks that must be made, but we are sure you will agree the deceptively complex livery is coming together nicely with a lovely colour match for the tricky Caledonian Sleeper midnight teal.
1_22_600x600.jpg

10_13_600x600.jpg

13_1_600x600.jpg

7_15_600x600.jpg

As you can see from the above shot, the detail on these coaches is delicious, with a wealth of boxes, grilles, cylinders and conduits replicated as per the prototypes.
15_600x600.jpg

Another area we are particularly proud of is our magnetic Dellner couplings, which make for some serious close coupling up to 3rd radius curves! We plan to sell these separately too, as they just plug into NEM sockets. More on that at a later date. Of course, each coach pack will also come with a set of tension locks for each coach to help negotiate 2nd radius and couple to other items of stock.
Sleeper.jpg.c56c5ebad7b86366577d265187176b80_600x600.jpg

Naturally, being Accurascale models, our Mark 5s are top of the line when it comes to specifications, such as a wealth of separately applied parts, attention to detail, lots of printing and of course, lighting, which as you can see above, is nice and subtle and devoid of dreaded light bleed.
6_16_600x600.jpg

Improvements? Well glazing of course, some printing such as the warning labels and smaller signs will be very much improved on, the overspray in areas will simply not do and will be corrected on the finished models. Overall though, they're looking well on course and very tasty indeed.
So, that's the sleepers, what about the TPE sets? Well, there's a whole other story!
IMG_4088_600x600.jpg

If our factory thought the Caledonian Sleeper livery was complex with it's wealth of warning labels, then the TPE sets have well and truly broken their hearts! With a similar amount of warning labels, interesting angles, shades and fades, it really pushes model production techniques to the very limit.
We have so far tried a couple of techniques to replicate this livery faithfully, but so far it has ended in failure, and has taken many months of trial and error to attempt to get this livery right. As we add all the layers to the livery, it begins to damage the paint finish elsewhere as you can see below on these test bodies. It has proven very frustrating for our factory! The visible paint lines through the doors were also unacceptable.
IMG_4259_600x600.jpg

Our factory does not give up easily however, and is currently working on a new batch blending various techniques to get the desired finish to set these models apart and we have every confidence they will achieve it. Unfortunately it means we will not be able to bring you pictures of fully finished TPE sets just yet, but as you can see above; they're edging closer and closer and they will look awesome when complete.
So, where does that leave us? Well, the Sleepers have been assessed and our feedback is on its way to the factory. The factory has assured us that we will have finished TPE samples for assessment in 8 weeks time. Unfortunately until we sign off on those TPE coaches we will not have a production delivery date, but can confirm it will be in 2022. We are very sorry for this delay and certainly had hoped we would be further on in this project, but we of course did not foresee this livery challenge!
9_19_600x600.jpg

Keep an eye on our website news section, email newsletter, Facebook and Twitter feeds, RMWeb section and of course the news pages for an update on the TPE livery samples in 8 weeks time and with it a firm delivery date as they enter production. In the meantime, secure your packs with a £30 deposit, via our website by clicking here.

Iskra

Established Member
Bachmann doing a brand new 47. Seems a bit odd when Heljan are releasing a new version soon.

Peter C

Established Member
Bachmann doing a brand new 47. Seems a bit odd when Heljan are releasing a new version soon.

I've not yet watched that video but saw a screenshot earlier on Twitter and they look good. But it does sound odd if Heljan are already making one!

-Peter

Established Member
The Ever Given arrived at Felixstowe this afternoon.
1628009346362.png