• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton Heath Depot Work, Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyB28

Does anyone know what the construction work is at the back of Newton Heath depot? There's quite an office-block of portacabins now alongside St Mary's Road! Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyB28

I did wonder if it was related to upcoming rolling stock changes. You get quite good view of the main yard from the Metrolink line so I'm looking forward to seeing the new stock. Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Llama

Established Member
The main work is for new four-road shed being built for the CAF units. It won't be visible from the Metrolink side, it's next to the heavy rail lines. The 'main yard' I think you refer to is actually '9-13 (Dean Lane)' Holding Siding roads which are usually used for demics and oddities, with occasional units for service stabled there when there's a squeeze on elsewhere.
There is also work on NH at the old paint shop (formerly a loco fuel & inspection point) which as I understand it will be a much-needed wheel lathe.

The main work is for new four-road shed being built for the CAF units. It won't be visible from the Metrolink side, it's next to the heavy rail lines. The 'main yard' I think you refer to is actually '9-13 (Dean Lane)' Holding Siding roads which are usually used for demics and oddities, with occasional units for service stabled there when there's a squeeze on elsewhere.
There is also work on NH at the old paint shop (formerly a loco fuel & inspection point) which as I understand it will be a much-needed wheel lathe.
What is a demic please?

AndyB28

Thank you for the extra detail Llama. Ironically, when Jonesy3001 reminded me that Newton Heath was due for the 195s, I checked the dedicated thread for them and, lo and behold, a forum member had photographed a couple of them in those very sidings!!! I really must keep up... :oops:

Llama

Established Member
There has been at least one 195 on Newton Heath for a while now. Anything that isn't going to be used in service or for training will often be stabled down that end out of the way, or often on #3 and #4 Holding sidings, the two roads which have buffer stops at their Manchester end nearer to Thorpes Bridge Jn end of Newton Heath but over towards the Metrolink side. One half of the 142(032?) which had a collision with a trailer on the Southport line late last year has been stabled there for months now. Lately there has usually been one 195 in the main shed building that can't easily be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.