• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Next 50 Bids for reopenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brush 4

'THE Department for Transport says it has received 50 bids for funding to help restore long-withdrawn railway services or stations, many of which were axed after Dr Richard Beeching had become chairman of the railways in 1961 and published his notorious ‘reshaping’ report two years later. Examples of bids include restoring passenger trains to Ferryhill in County Durham and reopening Consett to Newcastle, which lost its passenger trains as long ago as 1955. In the south west, the lines include Bodmin Parkway to Wadebridge, part of which is still used by heritage services, and also Par to Newquay, which remains open but is a candidate for upgrading, while another group of bidders is calling for the restoration of Charfield station in Gloucestershire. The proposals will now be considered by a panel including Network Rail chairman Sir Peter Hendy. Announcements are expected by the end of the summer.'

Doesn't give the full list though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Macwomble

Suppose we'll all have our "pet" projects.

Me......I'll go for extending the Borders line to Hawick followed by re-opening the lines to Fraserburgh/Peterhead.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
We actually did Penrith -> Keswick to death on another thread recently, the general consensus was that it was a basket case of a proposal and that any funding attracted would be far better spent on improving local bus services between the two towns. Hopefully any funding with respect to this latest news announcement won't be frittered away on yet more feasibility studies and the suchlike on dubious and highly marginal lines elsewhere.

py_megapixel

Established Member
We actually did Penrith -> Keswick to death on another thread recently, the general consensus was that it was a basket case of a proposal and that any funding attracted would be far better spent on improving local bus services between the two towns.
Do you have a link to the thread you are referring to, I'd quite like to read it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sigh. Another wish list designed to make it look like something is happening but isnt, buys the government some local cheap positive column inches and makes local Tory boy MP look like he cares about leveling up. Funny how the PM didn't announce any new money for this kind of thing today....................

backontrack

Established Member
Posted 30th June 2020 | No Comments

DfT receives 50 bids for railway reopening funds

news03456.jpg

THE Department for Transport says it has received 50 bids for funding to help restore long-withdrawn railway services or stations, many of which were axed after Dr Richard Beeching had become chairman of the railways in 1961 and published his notorious ‘reshaping’ report two years later. Examples of bids include restoring passenger trains to Ferryhill in County Durham and reopening Consett to Newcastle, which lost its passenger trains as long ago as 1955. In the south west, the lines include Bodmin Parkway to Wadebridge, part of which is still used by heritage services, and also Par to Newquay, which remains open but is a candidate for upgrading, while another group of bidders is calling for the restoration of Charfield station in Gloucestershire. The proposals will now be considered by a panel including Network Rail chairman Sir Peter Hendy. Announcements are expected by the end of the summer.

Some bids announced so far:

• Consett to Newcastle (I'm assuming via MetroCentre and Ebchester)
• Wadebridge to Bodmin Parkway
• Hawes to Garsdale
• Beverley to York
• Dinnington to Doncaster
• reopened station at Ferryhill
• reopened station at Charfield
• upgraded Par to Newquay

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Sigh. Another wish list designed to make it look like something is happening but isnt, buys the government some local cheap positive column inches and makes local Tory boy MP look like he cares about leveling up. Funny how the PM didn't announce any new money for this kind of thing today.
Cynical but probably sadly true. When there is so much real stuff that needs doing it really is silly.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sigh. Another wish list designed to make it look like something is happening but isnt, buys the government some local cheap positive column inches and makes local Tory boy MP look like he cares about leveling up. Funny how the PM didn't announce any new money for this kind of thing today....................
So do you expect all these reopening bids to come from one side of the political divide? Really?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
So do you expect all these reopening bids to come from one side of the political divide? Really?

The ones I have heard about are mostly from new Tory northern MP's. The 5 called out above are all in Tory constituencies. It is a PR puff designed to make the government look like they care. It is an almost total waste of time especially if a payback within this parliament is expected.

I know i am very cynical and I also recognise that many of you are not. I stand by my views and I suspect they will be proved right.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Newquay is a great idea. That local people have to lose out to accommodate tourists for many months is terrible - so the option of running the odd local train down there all year round is very hopeful.

QQQ

The Yorkshire Post has a list of seven schemes:
- York-Beverley
- Garsdale-Hawes
- Millhouses and Heeley, plus extra capacity at Dore & Totley
- KWVR regular service
- station to serve the Advanced Manufacturing Park and Waverley (presumably between Darnall and Woodhouse)
- South Yorkshire Joint line (Anston/Dinnington/Maltby)
- something I don't entirely understand about Barton on Humber, Gainsborough and Sheffield

Link: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...ould-receive-reverse-beeching-funding-2899624

6Gman

Established Member
Cynical but probably sadly true. When there is so much real stuff that needs doing it really is silly.

I'm not sure I'd even say cynical. Utterly realistic and true.

I'm not the angry type but this really is b******* (insert swear word of choice). It's the govt chucking a (relatively small) amount of money at a number of proposals to make it look as though they're doing something. They will then say "thoroughly reviewed, but not viable at present blah blah" and do nothing.

Utter PR job.

(Rant over)

6Gman

Established Member

6Gman

Established Member
The Yorkshire Post has a list of seven schemes:

- Garsdale-Hawes

Well, it's imaginative.

How would the proponents of this scheme expect it to operate?

A shuttle connecting with the frequent ( ;) ) services along the S&C ? Or through trains from Skipton/ Leeds ?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Well, it's imaginative.

A shuttle connecting with the frequent ( ;) ) services along the S&C ? Or through trains from Skipton/ Leeds ?

As usual, they probably don’t care. They will, however, no doubt demand marvellous through services to Carlisle, Leeds, maybe even Manchester via Clitheroe...

YorksLad12

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd even say cynical. Utterly realistic and true.

Utter PR job.

(Rant over)
Speaking as a professional PR person... it's more like a fantasist trying to general publicity to fill the newspapers and make you like him more. Which isn't PR. Apart from that, I entirely agree.

mcmad

As usual, they probably don’t care. They will, however, no doubt demand marvellous through services to Carlisle, Leeds, maybe even Manchester via Clitheroe...
you forgot the daily London out and backs

Tobbes

Established Member
• Wadebridge to Bodmin Parkway

Wadebridge to Bodmin Parkway? Is this taking over and extending the heritage line to the edge of Wadebridge, or a scheme that would ultimately allow restoration of services to Padstow?

QQQ

Well, it's imaginative.

They have a website: https://upperwensleydalerailway.org.uk/

The idea seems to be Manchester/Preston - Blackburn - Clitheroe - Hellifield - Settle - Garsdale - Hawes.

Probably this discussion should be in Speculative Ideas (or should it be Very Speculative Ideas?).

Camden

Established Member
Speaking as a professional PR person... it's more like a fantasist trying to general publicity to fill the newspapers and make you like him more. Which isn't PR. Apart from that, I entirely agree.
If your work involves government in any way, I'd recommend you check in with your contacts. My understanding is that there is an emerging picture of government saying Yes to things which were previously No, in quite a big way.

The nature of rail development puts it at a disadvantage in terms of being able to readily tell whether any offer to take forward is genuine, but I suspect the main restraint will be resource availability, rather than funds or cases failing (within reason).

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Sadly I can't see much of it happening either. There's been so much talk over the decades about various reopenings from both sides of the house and still nothing happens. Locally the likes of Bere Alson-Tavistock makes very good sense but nobody has the commitment or money to make it happen,but they all agree it's a good idea,as long as someone else pays. Many of you may remember a decade or more ago that the government of the day issued a list of lines that were desirable to reopen. Again locally the Brixham branch was on it! Really? How many on the new list are actually feasable,or are some so hard to make it not worth the bother. I'm reminded of Yes Minister. You give a number of proposals,one that is possible (the one you want). One that is possible but far to expensive and another that is impossible.

Geeves

Established Member
Just to carry on from Camden in addition to this mindset of saying no to everything and now saying yes, if you have a gander onto the Policy exchange website there is lots and lots of stuff basically saying how planning system is going to be overhauled with the large city mayors having their roles changed with even the cabinet office potentially being closed.

Lots more power for the government to get things built with out the need for decades long planning processes and lord knows if they want some of these lines reopened they better have some deep pockets and a vast fleet of equipment.

CptCharlee

Devon and Cornwall rail Partnership confirmed Tavistock and Okehampton schemes are on the list of 50.

6Gman

Established Member
Just to carry on from Camden in addition to this mindset of saying no to everything and now saying yes, if you have a gander onto the Policy exchange website there is lots and lots of stuff basically saying how planning system is going to be overhauled with the large city mayors having their roles changed with even the cabinet office potentially being closed.

Lots more power for the government to get things built with out the need for decades long planning processes and lord knows if they want some of these lines reopened they better have some deep pockets and a vast fleet of equipment.

To be fair the planning system itself (i.e. the securing of planning permission for a project) rarely takes anything like that length of time. Indeed, it's subject to time limits.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Devon and Cornwall rail Partnership confirmed Tavistock and Okehampton schemes are on the list of 50.
Despite a lot of talk over the years,especially since the sea wall collapse a few years ago,nobody seems to want to commit to this idea. There is always an excuse such as Meldon Viaduct too costly etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.