Next generation of SSL stock

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by Met Driver, 17 Jun 2005.

Is a standard SSL stock sensible?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Met Driver

Met Driver Established Member

As I'm sure many of you know, the 'A' stock is (sadly) coming to the end of it's working life, and a replacement is needed.

Eventually, all SSL stock (Sub-Surface Line) will need to be raplaced. This is where potential problems lie.

LUL will be ordering only one type of stock, which will run on all SSLs in order to provide increased flexibility. This may sound good, but from a passenger's point of view, this is not necessarily the case.

As the new trains will be of a standard design, interior wise as well as exterior, there will be no more high-backed seats which provide the level of comfort enjoyed by the Bucks. commuter on the Metropolitan Line. There will also be less seats, again, something which commuters will not be best pleased with, especially on the ELL, District and Metropolitan Lines.

See http://www.metronetrail.com/default.asp?sID=1088068912937 for more details and images.

What's your opinion?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Alstom1995/6

Alstom1995/6 Member

I think the new stock is badly needed on the Victoria Line. Howver the sub surface lines I disagree, I think the A and C are fine as they are. Apart from the capacity problem, I think the new sub surface trains will no longer have an identity, Originally it was the C and A soon it will just be the new stock and nothing else. I mean even the 1995 and 6 are different.

4. jd

jd Member

I have to agree. Seat configurations need to vary on different lines! For example, the Circle needs more standing room for people going just a few stops, but the Met needs, as said before, more, highbacked seats for long-distance travel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.