• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nice and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
We'd never visited the area properly (work meant that main holidays were in high summer) so it was high time for an early autumn break. All neatly planned - two nights in Turin on the way out, then over the Col de Tende route to Nice, and return via Dijon (which we'd not visited when we were last in Burgundy 20 years ago owing to a heatwave). A 4-day Interrail would cover that, except Turin to Nice which isn't expensive.

Then a French mountain fell onto the railway (see sundry threads) so we had to replan. Another two nights in Nice? No, prices were through the roof owing to the rugby. So I found us an AirBnB in Breil-sur-Roya, whence we could do the Tende route to Limone or Cuneo, and visit the hillside village of Saorge on the relatively frequent bus.

Friday:
0835 Saltaire to Lyon 2000 via London and Lille. A boringly reliable journey, apart from discovering we were at the wrong biometric passport gate at St Pancras. The ES wasn't quite full in SP, the single-deck TGV was after CDG Airport, and was a few minutes late throughout "owing to a delay from another train."

I used the 90min at Lille to book TGV top-deck reservations which you can't do on the Interrail or Belgian sites. The clerk in the very quite travel centre was most helpful; I discovered he didn't have access to the "choose-your-own-seat" facility but could only book by type of seat, but thatcwas fine.

I then decided to test the ticket machine. Easy to make a reservation, much more problematic booking an actual seat:
I asked for 2 side-by-side and got seats across the aisle from each other; 2 facing each other got random seats at opposite ends of the coach.... anyway I succeeded in the end!

BTW the Ibis Styles at Lyon PD has loads of rooms overlooking the station :)

Saturday:
0906 Lyon-Marseille then 1157 Marseille-Nice and a 20min connection up to Breil arriving at 1600. Another straightforward trip? Not!

We got to Marseille on time and discovered that there had been an "accident involving a person" in the suburbs and the route to Nice was blocked. Still, we found seats and coffee, while chaos reigned around us. TGVs from Paris came in and waited - and waited - as did passengers for Paris, as trains from Nice were obviously being held back! There were regular announcements, but they were unintelligible owing to the sound system or speaker (we both have decent French).
At 1230 a chance look at the screens revealed 2 RRBs had been organised to Aubagne, where presumably there would have been a connection to Toulon, but after looking at the queue we decided against, as we had no idea whether we could get beyond Toulon any quicker than by waiting for the delayed 1157 which was expected to be +120 at that stage.

Eventually a platform was announced, the train arrived from Nice nearly 4h down (oops! the platform side doors were mostly locked, which rather horrified us - the train wouldn't have used any offside platforms en route so no-one had noticed! Doors unlocked, passengers released and we boarded, the doors closing announcement was given and....30min later we left, 3h 23 down, and made our way to M-Blancarde where a Ouigo and one of the Paris TGVs were sat in platforms.

Complication - Wales v Portugal at 1745 in Nice, and plenty of spectators on board (we stopped at the new Nice-St-Augustin near the stadium so any TGV passengers had been told to change to us. I have to say the onboard staff were excellent at explaining the arrangements, but they still missed the 1st half :(

Back to Blancarde - we were 1st out and went on the single "slow" line which had been the first to open, past the scene where the last of the orange army was leaving - and were promptly overtaken by the TGV which then delayed us a bit more as it divided at Toulon for Hyeres.

Final arrival at Nice was 3h 50 late, partly caused by more passengers cramming on. That said, we had found one of the two 1sts in the 8-car TER of rehashed Corail stock behind a BB22XXX, so the journey itself was pleasant enough.

Nice Ville was - not surprisingly - heaving So all we had to go was grab something to eat (Cafe Paul on the station forecourt did the trick) and catch the 1909 to Breil. Oh no! Cancelled owing to an object on the line near Sospel.... probably a tree or a small landside, it had been a stormy afternoon. Anyway, the following 1943 (why are there two trains within 35min, you may well ask?) was announced and ran pretty much to time, crossing a punctual service train and an ECS en route, no doubt the result of the disruption. We reached Breil 4h 55 late, which ranks as the worst delay I have ever experienced! No fault of SNCF, of course....

Anyway, I had plenty of time to work out how to buy the new 7-day pass valid on all public transport in Alpes-Maritimes. I'll post the details separately on the International subforum.

EDIT: the delay compensation is worth EUR24 - agreeded with little fuss by Eurail.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Time for an update. A lot of our travel this week has been by bus and tram but the train bits were:
Sunday - the unexpected sight (from the mountainside at Saorge - mich better visited by bus at our age) of an X2200 and 3-car Caravelle on a Nice -Tende special. I caught up with it at Breil, where there is a railway museum with variousl locos, trams and railcars stabled outside. I was hot and tired so decided against a visit to the enclosed bit.
Monday - validated our passes for the 1039 to Tende, the 3-car unit was decently loaded and there was a bilingual commentary on the spectacular scenery and much, much else. The return after lunch and through to Nice where we had an apartment waiting was quieter.
(I had originally planned to go through the sum it tunnel to Limone but decided against - instead we visited the local museum which focuses on the Vallee des Merveilles with its amazing rock drawings. Maybe 20 years ago we might have hiked up to see them in situ, but it really is an excellent display.)
Thursday - I sampled the urban section of the CP from Nice-CP to Lingostiere in one of the very pleasant 2-car units. I had planned a quick cross-platform connection back to Nice, but the return train (nominally from Digne, actually from St Andre les Alpes) arrived 15 late, one of the 50-year old X301 single cars and was very full.
I baled one stop later at St-Isidore and walked down (the operative word, think Helensburgh HL) to the tram terminus for a less uncomfortable journey to the apartment.
Friday - Beaulieu s/Mer to Menton-Garavan on a well-filled Z265xx local, returning on the 1650 Menton-Marseille (a longer Regiolis Z555xx) which was full and standing from Monaco and crush-loaded from Nice; we were glad to escape at the relocated St-Augustin station and catch a tram (merely f+s) back to base.

Veteran Member
Sunday - I had hoped for a return trip on the Pugetz-Theniers to Annot "Train des Pignes" but the outward trip was fully booked a week ahead.
Instead I picked up the seasonal 0940 train at Lingostiere (we had moved out of Central Nice and hired a car) - it was pretty full but I did manage to get a seat for the run up to Entrevaux, one stop beyond Puget. Having checked for photo opportunities round the station I decided to walk along the main road (carefully, there's no pavement) and found a lineside spot with the spectacular (Vauban, who else?) citadel in the background. Won't be able to upload a photo till I'm home. After lunch I went on in an X30x railcar (which has superb front and rear views BTW) to Annot and watched the shunting while waiting for the downhill train to depart (after turning the loco)
Intrigued by the stuff the crew were throwing into the cab of E211 (an ex-Portuguese 2-4-6-0 Mallet) I asked the crew - they use real coal for the outward trip, but biofuel for the downhill return and shunting - an ingenious solution, provided you only run one trip a week!). The train was pretty well filled, with 6 bogies, a 4-wheeler and a van, and punctual.
The last could not be said of the onward train, which reached Puget 12 late having only started at Annot, and was already full and standing with returning weekends and students as well as a few steam train passengers. At least arrival at Lingostiere was only 15 late, though I then had to navigate back to the autoroute past loads of cars parked for Scotland v Samoa.
CP is a lovely line, but there seems to be rather a shortage of stock :(

Veteran Member
A train-free week later and it's time to return. Dropping the car at Nice Airport meant it was most efficient to go direct from Nice-St-Augustin to Marseille and pick up our TGV to Dijon there (a suitable place for a journey break, as we'd never visited).
A mistake, as it turned out - instead of loco and stock one of the Z555xx units turned up, and it was (once again) heaving. Fortunately we got seats at Antibes (there are advantages to being in late middle age!) - but the extra 200 or so seats on the 8-car Corail set would have made a big difference.
(Of course, the downside is that the old stock is definitely not accessible.).
Arriving at Marseille, I had a mild panic when I noticed the inward train from Dijon was over 3hr late - but only the barista was booked to work out and back (!), and the northbound train ran to time despite an unplanned unit swap at Lyon - slightly complicated by the replacement unit being reverse-formed.
The TGV was full, incidentally, though only a single set; the only inconvenience being the rubbish SNCF seat selector which produced "side by side" seats across the aisle :(
Dijon seems still to have a fair few Corail+BB22xxx TER sets, BTW - more than I expected anyway.

And so to today's final leg:
0906 Dijon-Paris, a full single set.
Across Paris by RER, with an unrushed but probably unbeatable time of 25min from the platform at GdL to the concourse at GdN.
1224 Paris-Lille Europe (a combined Dunkerque and Rang-du-Fliers-Verton service, splitting at Arras - and I actually managed a proper pair of seats this time!).
1530 Lille-STP, a class 373 which was not particularly full in SP.
A brief sojourn in an almost empty LNER lounge (OK, it is a Monday....) and we boarded the 1703 KGX, whose loading in 1st was also very light. But importantly, the Dine menu was available, and I concur with others who enjoyed the trout and apple tart - and it's a 225 set as booked.
We've just passed Newark on time.
EDIT: now on the 1926 out of Leeds. A day when the railway(s) have run as they should, with no more than the odd minute of delay

EDIT - general comments moved to thread in International section.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.