• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nick Knowles' Amazing Railway Adventures Season 2

Maybach

Oops! I didn't realise that Season 2 had started last Friday (22nd September). I'll have to watch Episode 1 on My5 or catch-up or something. Anyway, Episode 2 "Italy: The Volcano Express" this coming Friday (29th September) at 21.00 on Channel 5.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Knowing channel 5 it will probably get repeated at some point during the week, just do a search if your TV allows it. At least you can fast forward the adverts ( although My5 isn't as bad as some of the catch up players).

I've got it recorded so it will get watched next week, I enjoyed the 1st series

DelW

Established Member
Oops! I didn't realise that Season 2 had started last Friday (22nd September). I'll have to watch Episode 1 on My5 or catch-up or something. Anyway, Episode 2 "Italy: The Volcano Express" this coming Friday (29th September) at 21.00 on Channel 5.

The first programme was shown in my TV guide (paper not EPG) as being about Morocco, whereas the one actually shown covered Prague to Budapest via Bratislava. Channel 5 does have form for this, so future episodes might or might not be as previously publicised. It's currently shown as six episodes, but C5 also have form for cutting runs short if they don't like viewer numbers.

Maybach

The first programme was shown in my TV guide (paper not EPG) as being about Morocco, whereas the one actually shown covered Prague to Budapest via Bratislava. Channel 5 does have form for this, so future episodes might or might not be as previously publicised. It's currently shown as six episodes, but C5 also have form for cutting runs short if they don't like viewer numbers.
Yes, I'd noticed that. In fact, I believe the Morocco programme should have been the last episode of Season 1 but was never broadcast for some reason.

Maybach

I enjoyed last night's episode due to my love of Italy and my fascination with volcanoes. However, I fully accept that it had very little to do with railways! It would be interesting to tot up all the train sequences and see what percentage of the overall programme that represented. Not very much is my guess!

Next Friday's episode (according to the printed TV guide) is on Romania, where Nick travels across Transylvania. Nice, but didn't Chris Tarrant do that a few years ago?

Maybach

I enjoyed the latest episode on Romania (more about trains in this one!) but, according to my printed TV guide, the programme is not listed for this coming Friday - and, unless it gets moved to another slot, won't be for quite a few more weeks!

DelW

Established Member
I enjoyed last night's episode due to my love of Italy and my fascination with volcanoes. However, I fully accept that it had very little to do with railways! It would be interesting to tot up all the train sequences and see what percentage of the overall programme that represented. Not very much is my guess!
I've just caught up with the Italian programme - the "teases" about how the train was going to get from the mainland to Sicily were somewhat undermined by the clip showing it being loaded onto the ferry having already been previewed several times earlier in the programme. Overall it was interesting despite the unfortunately poor weather in Sicily.

So I think that three episodes have been shown, not including the Moroccan one that was supposed to open the series. Not unusually for C5, the remaining three (?) seem to have vanished without trace and may or may not surface sometime in the future.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Knowing channel 5 they will probably resurface in January time without any real notice. Probably on "5 Select"rather than the main channel

A shame they don't put the 'unaired' episodes up on "My5", considering they would have likely already paid out to get them created.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
I've just caught up with the Italian programme - the "teases" about how the train was going to get from the mainland to Sicily were somewhat undermined by the clip showing it being loaded onto the ferry having already been previewed several times earlier in the programme. Overall it was interesting despite the unfortunately poor weather in Sicily.

So I think that three episodes have been shown, not including the Moroccan one that was supposed to open the series. Not unusually for C5, the remaining three (?) seem to have vanished without trace and may or may not surface sometime in the future.
Do Producers/Directors actually 'think' about the things they show as a 'teaser' ?

DelW

Established Member
Do Producers/Directors actually 'think' about the things they show as a 'teaser' ?
I imagine they assume most viewers have the attention span of a gnat, and forget what they've seen within five minutes. Which may be true in some cases ;).

It seems to be common to have a couple of minutes of highlights clips not just at the beginning, but also after every ad break. I think the train ferry clip was shown at least four times (I should have counted).

I still prefer a video recorder over internet catch-up, and if I fast-forward the replay past the ads and repeats of clips, a nominally one hour programme lasts barely forty minutes.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was searching on my TV earlier to next Sunday and noticed that "New Nick Knowles Amazing Railway Adventure" was showing for 9pm. "Slovenia and Croatia" although based on previous episodes it probably will end up being completely different. Good news that Channel 5 are finally airing the remaining episodes at a half-decent time.

(There is also a program about the Tube at 8pm next Sunday, although no idea if that is new or a repeat of a series shown years ago)

Last edited:

TheTallOne

(There is also a program about the Tube at 8pm next Sunday, although no idea if that is new or a repeat of a series shown years ago)
Yeah, couple of tv websites say it’s a new series.

The Tube: Keeping London Moving​

Series 1 Episode 1
Revealing exploration of the capital's tube network; one of the world's busiest public transportation systems. In this first episode, the network is close to maximum capacity.

Category Documentary
Original air date 2024-03-17