• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nicknames for specific engines or types of engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
It rhymes with banker :)
Perhaps that was all they were any use for! :lol:

D Earle Marsh is definitely in the lower levels of locomotive designers: most of his designs were poor and one or two were awful. Surprisingly, some of the classes that he rebuilt were better than their already acceptable originals, although how much of this was his work and how much the work of Basil Field, his chief draughtsman, is open to question. He also failed to get a grip on problems at Brighton Works. The one thing that he does deserve credit for is being one of the first to introduce superheating.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
There is the point that nicknames used by enthusiasts may not be the same as those used by railwaymen, but because the former were more likely to put their name into print, this gets established as ‘the’ nickname. I once read an article that, with a certain amount of evidence, put forward the proposition that Jinty was originally an enthusiast’s (or enthusiasts’) nickname, possibly a corruption of jaunty. In that case it had spread widely and became the accepted name, even among some railwaymen, but in other cases the railwaymen’s name has been washed out of history by the enthusiasts’ name, which is then claimed to be the railwaymen’s name.

And you also had different names for the same type in different areas, or a type that had a nickname in one area and was known by its official name (or b****y XYZ rubbish) in another.
My father (footplate Llandudno Junction then Crewe) would have agreed with you. Jinty was a spotters' name; he knew them as Jockos.

Rescars

Established Member
Going back a bit, on the Glasgow & South Western there were two classes of express 4-4-0s designed by Hugh Smellie, his Wee Bogies and his Big Bogies. Much delight and satisfaction of schoolboy humour nationwide!

DerekC

Established Member
In my steam spotting days on the Lea Valley main line, any 0-6-0T seemed to be a "Coffee Pot", B1s were definitely "Bongos". B2s and B17s were "Sandringhams" or "Sandys", D16s were "Clauds". I don't recall a nickname for the N7s, ubiquitous on GE suburban services prior to electrification.

Spamcan81

LMS 0-6-0 tanks were known pretty much everywhere as Jinty's.
Or Jockos in some quarters.

The A1 / A1X Terriers were also known as Rooters. The air-smoothed Bullied pacifics were known as Spam Cans.

The origin of some of these nicknames is less obvious than others.
Flat Tops was another nickname for the class.

On the GN at least, 9Fs were known as Spaceships. The GER B12s fitted with feed water preheaters were known as Hikers. The LNWR G2/G2a 0-8-0 were known as Super D's or Duck Eights. Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T were known as Mickey Mouse. Also heard the nickname given to their 2-6-0 tender loco cousins. Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 known as Doddlebugs. Thompson L1 2-6-4T were christened Cement Mixers by some of the crews who drove them.

Last edited:

david1212

Established Member
In my teenage spotting days in Scotland we called the BRCW class 26 & 27 locos 'buckets' because of their rounded cab ends, although I believe that enthusiasts in the North West of England used that nickname for class 40s. ....

Class 25's were 'Rats' from always scurrying about, Class 24 too?
Following on once allocated to Scotland both Class 26 & 27 were 'McRats'.

The SR 20x DEMU's were Thumpers from the vibration if travelling in the power car. When the 206 sets were created by splitting 201 sets and adding an EPB driving trailer, which was of course standard profile not flat sided, they were Tadpoles.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Or Jockos in some quarters.

Flat Tops was another nickname for the class.

On the GN at least, 9Fs were known as Spaceships. The GER B12s fitted with feed water preheaters were known as Hikers. The LNWR G2/G2a 0-8-0 were known as Super D's or Duck Eights. Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T were known as Mickey Mouse. Also heard the nickname given to their 2-6-0 tender loco cousins. Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 known as Doddlebugs. Thompson L1 2-6-4T were christened Cement Mixers by some of the crews who drove them.
There was some duplication of nicknames. Stanier Black 5 4-6-0s were widely known as "Mickeys", as distinct from the smaller Mickey Mouse 2-6-0s and the "Mickey Mouse Tank" 2-6-2Ts.

Ivatt's 4MT 2-6-0s were also known as "Flying Pigs", allegedly because someone thought they were ugly.

It was the LMSR 7F 0-8-0s that were the "Austin 7s" - potentially good engines, ruined because they used components such as bearings designed for small Midland Railway 0-6-0s.

The Austerity 8F 2-8-0s were sometimes known as "Wobblies", because they sometimes appeared to wobble when moving.

And any small / old freight 0-6-0 with a tall chimey was often called a "Coffee Pot".

D6130

Established Member
Following on once allocated to Scotland both Class 26 & 27 were 'McRats'.
Those names were never actually used by Scottish enthusiasts that I can remember. They were very much an English thing. We called the early 24s (5000-5113) 'Skinheads' or 'Roundheads' for obvious reasons, but I don't recall ever having had a nickname for the later 24s and 25s, other than perhaps 'Sulzers'.
Ivatt's 4MT 2-6-0s were also known as "Flying Pigs", allegedly because someone thought they were ugly.
Not only because they were ugly....but also the high running plates looked like wings when viewed from the front end.

Around Preston in the 1950's Ivatt 4MT's were known as Horwich Horrors, the 0-8-0 7F's as Clonks, due to the noise they made, and Stanier 8F's as Big Eights. Apart from Brits, Clans and the solitary Duke, BR standard locos didn't have any specific nick-names, being referred to as Seven Threers, Seven Fivers etc. They were regarded as being a bit boring.

bishdunster

Black Motors - ex-LSWR class 700 0-6-0 freight locos.
U Boats - U class 2-6-0 mixed traffic locos.
Terriers - Ex-LBSCR class A1X 0-6-0 lightweight passenger tank locos.
Greyhounds - as you say, ex-LSWR class T9 4-4-0 passenger locos.
Woolworths - N class 2-6-0 mixed traffic locos....built at Woolwich Arsenal.

....to which I can add:

Coffee Pots or Charlies - class Q1 0-6-0 Austerity freight locos.
Paddleboxes - ex-LSWR class D14 4-4-0 passenger locos. (apparently their huge driving wheel splashers made them look like paddle steamers)
The Bug - Dugald Drummond's 2-2-0 self-propelled inspection saloon.
Nelsons - either Lord Nelson class 4-6-0 express passenger locos or 4-COR/BUF/RES express EMUs. (Their single windscreen gave them a 'one-eyed' appearance).
Shebas - the original very high density all-steel wartime 4-SUB units (4101-10). 'The Queen of Sheba had a very great train' (Biblical quotation).
Marys - the later all-steel 4-SUB units without domed fronts (4111 onwards). Does anyone on here know why they were thus nicknamed?

IIRC, it was the LMS-built - but obviously Midland Derby-designed - 7F class, which was developed from the LNWR G2X class, with a larger boiler.

Also the LMS Ivatt-designed lightweight 2-6-0 tender locos and 2-6-2 tank locos - and their BR Riddles derivatives - known as 'Mickey Mouse'.
The Q1s were also known as "Telescopes" as per their appearance !

75A

Established Member
The crew often called the Q1 (picture on left) Charlies because when built they were numbered C1 - C40

33/1's were called 'Bagpipes' because of the high level pipes for multiple working.

The 12 33/2's were called 'Slim Jims' because they were narrower than the other 86 built so they could go through the narrow tunnels on the South Eastern Division.

73's were known as ED's

We called all EMU's sparks for obvious reasons, on a frosty night the show really was spectacular.

Calthrop

Established Member
On the GN at least, 9Fs were known as Spaceships.

I very dimly recall a short humorous article, very many years ago, in one of the railway magazines -- quite likely the "Railway Magazine" -- about nicknames for classes; at least to some extent, bestowed by railwaymen rather than enthusiasts. I remember its mentioning "9Fs = Spaceships"; also, Southern Region crews referring to rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics, as "Marilyns". With the locos having lost some of their outer parts in the rebuilding; association of ideas came about, with Ms. Monroe, renowned saucy film star of that era, known for her disrobing tendency -- the thing strikes me as too convoluted to be all that likely.

Last edited:

On Moderation
92s are Dyson, which I think is a very elaborate way of saying they were built at brush (Dyson-vacuum cleaner- broom - brush?)
Or from the noise they make, particularly when the dynamic brake blowers are running.

John Palmer

Being the individualistic line that it was, the Somerset & Dorset applied nicknames to a number of locomotive classes not likely to have been employed elsewhere:

Midland Railway No.3 Class Goods: 'Bulldog' (for its reputation for hard work and reliabilty)
Midland Railway No.4 Class Goods: 'Armstrong' (after the batch of this class built for the S&D by Armstrong Whitworth)
LMS standard shunting tank: 'Bagnall' (after the batch built for the S&D by W.G.Bagnall Ltd)
Ivatt Class 4MT 2-6-0: 'Doodlebug' (after the German flying bomb, though this nickname may have been of wider application than just the S&D)

The three small shunting engines constructed at Highbridge Works to a restricted structure gauge enabling them to work through the long tramway underbridge at Radstock known as 'Marble Arch' were known as 'Bobby Dazzlers' - 'Dazzlers' for short.

Staff at Bath are understood to have referred, on occasion, to Unrebuilt Bulleid Light Pacifics as 'Greenbacks'

The older small boilered Great Northern Atlantic's [990 Henry Oakley] were known as Klondikes. As the first Henry Oakley was introduce during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898... The A4's were also known as "Blu'uns" on account of being painted Garter Blue for a time.

6Gman

Established Member
I very dimly recall a short humorous article, very many years ago, in one of the railway magazines -- quite likely the "Railway Magazine" -- about nicknames for classes; at least to some extent, bestowed by railwaymen rather than enthusiasts. I remember its mentioning "9Fs = Spaceships"; also, Southern Region crews referring to rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics, as "Marilyns". With the locos having lost some of their outer parts in the rebuilding; association of ideas came about, with Ms. Monroe, renowned saucy film star of that era, known for her disrobing tendency -- the thing strikes me as too convoluted to be all that likely.
I have read a memoir by a Bolton footplateman who definitely referred to the 9Fs as Spaceships.

Andy873

gg1

Established Member
I read somewhere a while ago that the origin of the nickname was due to them being mixed traffic locos used on a wide variety of services across the country, ie they get everywhere.

D6130

Established Member
I don't think anyone has mentioned the nicknames 'Goyles' and 'Peds' for class 31s yet. The reason for the first is fairly obvious, but where did 'Ped' come from?

gg1

Established Member
I don't think anyone has mentioned the nicknames 'Goyles' and 'Peds' for class 31s yet. The reason for the first is fairly obvious, but where did 'Ped' come from?
Maybe moped, on account of them turning up on services they were underpowered for?

Richard Scott

Established Member
Pedal car as they accelerated at the about the same rate!

xotGD

Established Member
although I believe that the 27s were known to some Scottish railwaymen as 'GECs' in their early days.
Also known as "Lawnmowers" by some enthusiasts. Presumably from the sound they make.
There has also been no mention of the widely known Class 47 nickname.
Strumbox
Strummer
Joe Strummer
Joseph
Sir Keith Joseph
Spoon

Or maybe something else?
Ironclads - small ex-Lancashire & Yorkshire 0-6-0 freight locos....as in 957/52044 on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.
The name coming from the fact that they were built at the same time as Ironclad warships, IIRC.

A few more:
03: Flower pot (from the shape of the chimney pot on some examples)
20: Bomb (from the shape) or Chopper (sounds like a helicopter)
37: Syphon or Growler or Tractor (the latter being a derogatory name used by 26 bashers, in particular DARTS the "Dundee Anti Rancid Tractor Society")
40: Whistler or bucket
45/46: Wagon
56: Grid
58: Bone or Eggtimer (from the shape)
60: Tug (pull a heavy load at slow speed)
66: Shed (looks like a garden shed)
67: Skip
68: Cat
70: Fugly (from their beauty)
81-85: Roarer (from the noise)
86: Can
90: Skoda
91: Blunt
253/254: Tram or Zing

75A

Established Member
The only names the Brighton crews called the 47's on 'The Manchester' are all completely unreaptable.
Only locos where you had to wipe your feet when you got off the footplate.
As for the odd occasion when the steam heat boiler was on, all we ever did was turn it off, we only recognised and were trained in ETH.

D6130

Established Member
For the classic olde-tyme DMUs:

Bugs
Bug Units
Bog Carts
Multis
Bubble Cars (class 121 &

.....and for the second generation units:

141/142/143/144: Bouncy Castles or Nodding Donkeys
153: Dog Boxes, Doodlebugs, Flying Bombs or Scud Missiles (The last three from their habit of tramming along quite nicely for a while and then, suddenly, the single engine cuts out and they start to fall down rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.