• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Riviera - Reading Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
Tonight's Night Riveira is starting from Reading.
Does anyone know what time it's likely to board?
I don't fancy a long wait on Reading station if we can't board well before the 00.49 booked departure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

becky_rtw

When I've caught it from Reading on a normal night it arrived 20 mins early to load everyone on, not tons of people there that night as it happened.

The waiting room on the sleeper platform is open as well and fairly warm. All shops were shut. We had about 45 mins between trains to wait and it was fine.

Essexman

Established Member
GWR twitter told me (2pm) that they are yet to receive confirmation about the sleeper but hope to have this by 4pm. Their website however shows it starting at Reading which fits with 'no trains from Paddington after 22.00'.
I've asked about boarding time if it starts at Reading and am yet to hear back.

mangyiscute

Established Member
I would imagine it could be pretty early since the sleeper is stored in reading depot, so if it sets off out of the depot at the normal time it would be at the platform very early. However, there might be a lot of trains terminating at Reading in which case there might not be an available platform for it

Essexman

Established Member
I've just had a call from GWR to tell me that the sleeper is starting at Reading and that I need to get a train from Waterloo to Reading.
The response to my question as to what time it will be boarding was 00.49, which is the normal departure time. Obviously it normally arrives earlier than that as the rear loco is detached.
With a bit of probing I was told that it won't be arriving early to facilitate boarding and it was suggested that I arrive at 00.30.
Maybe lack of spare platforms is the reason.
I chose to cancel for a full refund and will travel on a day train in the morning.

Fyldeboy

I've just had a call from GWR to tell me that the sleeper is starting at Reading and that I need to get a train from Waterloo to Reading.
The response to my question as to what time it will be boarding was 00.49, which is the normal departure time. Obviously it normally arrives earlier than that as the rear loco is detached.
With a bit of probing I was told that it won't be arriving early to facilitate boarding and it was suggested that I arrive at 00.30.
Maybe lack of spare platforms is the reason.
I chose to cancel for a full refund and will travel on a day train in the morning.
I get that platforms will be difficult but GWR should have made an exception/arrangement for the Riviera as loading a full train of sleeper passengers in the manner used at Paddington is going to cause a horrendous dwell time. Passengers are used to not being herded on this service.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Also, when I was there at half 9, the platforms were empty - I'm sure one could've been reserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.