• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Tube Launch Date Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
For anyone who doesn't feel like combing through the whole Night Time Economy report, these are the routes stated as operating parallel to Night Tube lines:

24, 25, 72, 83, 88, 93, 94, 139, 188, 205, 220, 295, 297, C2, N2, N5, N7, N8, N9, N10, N11, N13, N15, N16, N18, N20, N22, N29, N47, N55, N73, N91, N98, N113, N149, N155, N207, N253, N279, N381, N550, N551.

Though some of these do it for only a small part of their route - the N550 and N551 go near very few tube stations (though lots of DLR stations).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Be3G

Established Member
Indeed, I wouldn't have classed the N279 as a tube parallel either (if anything, it's more a parallel of National Rail).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
How did the 72 get in there? The only routes there that were designed specifically to be night versions of tube routes are the N2 and N20, the others are basically the day routes with some extended a bit at the outer end e.g. N73 from Stoke Newington to Walthamstow Central via Seven Sisters.

RJ

Established Member
It looks like the definition of parallel for the purpose of that report only requires a route to serve two consecutive stations on a Night Tube line. The 72 serves East Acton and White City, plus Shepherd's Bush in one direction. That said, some routes are missing. If the 93 is in there, the 57 should be as well as that serves 3 Northern Line stations.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It looks like the definition of parallel for the purpose of that report only requires a route to serve two consecutive stations on a Night Tube line. The 72 serves East Acton and White City, plus Shepherd's Bush in one direction. That said, some routes are missing. If the 93 is in there, the 57 should be as well as that serves 3 Northern Line stations.

In other words, someone was given a copy of a tube map and a bus map and asked to produce some figures for a report. God forbid that some clubber should be required to stagger on their own two feet from White City to Shepherds Bush at 3 a.m. To think I used to walk from the West End to Bromley on a Sat night/Sun morning when no night buses ran.:lol:

bravot

The C2 just about touches a few random tube stations on it's quirky route.

The 24, 88, N29, N253 and N279 only cover a chunk of the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line from Charing Cross/Tottenham Court Road as far north as Camden Town.

Only the N5 and N20 actually mirror the line all the way northbound, with the N155 covering the other end all the way to Mordor.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Only the N5 and N20 actually mirror the line all the way northbound, with the N155 covering the other end all the way to Mordor.

If only Frodo and Sam had known about the N155, they could've avoided that dangerous trek on foot through the marshes and caves etc.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Though some of these do it for only a small part of their route - the N550 and N551 go near very few tube stations (though lots of DLR stations).

In other words, someone was given a copy of a tube map and a bus map and asked to produce some figures for a report. God forbid that some clubber should be required to stagger on their own two feet from White City to Shepherds Bush at 3 a.m. To think I used to walk from the West End to Bromley on a Sat night/Sun morning when no night buses ran.:lol:

As soon as I saw the N550 and N551 there I instantly thought "what are they on about?!" :roll:. They're both 2bph so not very frequent, and most of the stations they pass won't have a service. Nor would those students at UEL way out at Gallions Reach be impressed if the N551 was changed :D (the night tube makes it a case of "so close yet so far" :P). What about the 4-5 Beckton branch DLR stations, as well as others, likewise N550 on the Lewisham branch? Surely the 69 should be a candidate if the N550 and N551 somehow get included? :|

All stations the N550 and N551 pass, bold ones with service at night, at stations without a tube or DLR night service the other mentioned routes are included.

N550
Charing Cross
Embankment
Temple
Blackfriars
Bank
Aldgate / Aldgate East (25, N15, N253, N551)
Limehouse (N15, N551)
Westferry
Canary Wharf / Heron Quays
Island Gardens
Blackwall
All Saints (N15, N551)
Canning Town

N551
Charing Cross
Bank
Aldgate / Aldgate East (25, N15, N253, N550)
Tower Hill / Tower Gateway / Fenchurch Street (N15)
Limehouse (N15, N550)
Poplar (N15)
All Saints (N15, N550)
Canning Town
Custom House
Prince Regent
Beckton
Gallions Reach

Antman

Established Member
Indeed, I wouldn't have classed the N279 as a tube parallel either (if anything, it's more a parallel of National Rail).

The southern end does and I suppose it could be argued that on a Fri/Sat night the N279 should only run from Manor House to Waltham Cross as per the daytime 279?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The southern end does and I suppose it could be argued that on a Fri/Sat night the N279 should only run from Manor House to Waltham Cross as per the daytime 279?

It could be argued that the DAYTIME 279 should be extended beyond Manor House but that's for a different thread on a different part of the forum!

Taunton

Established Member
I've often felt that there should be all night bus routes that obviously replace the Underground, Overground and DLR lines, properly branded as such with the line name rather than in the bus number series, and operated on the nearest practical main roads (not slavishly getting to each station forecourt in turn like the rail replacement buses do which grossly extends the journey time). These might still be applicable for the lines not covered, for the other 5 nights of the week, and for whenever the all-night service is suspended at a weekend.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've often felt that there should be all night bus routes that obviously replace the Underground, Overground and DLR lines, properly branded as such with the line name rather than in the bus number series, and operated on the nearest practical main roads (not slavishly getting to each station forecourt in turn like the rail replacement buses do which grossly extends the journey time). These might still be applicable for the lines not covered, for the other 5 nights of the week, and for whenever the all-night service is suspended at a weekend.

Whilst this might be slightly easier for the casual night bus user, if the service doesn't stop at the station you've probably lost a lot of that and it sounds rather an expensive addition to the current service.

Many lines are not easy to serve above ground - places such as Hornsey don't get rail replacement buses (but tickets are valid on local buses) as they're so hard to serve in the order they're in on the rail line.

rmt4ever

I love all this talk and in the media as though its going to happen, especially as both TUs left talks about it and rejected LUs 'deal' recently

Status
Not open for further replies.