• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nightjet auto train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
I believe it's going.
Correct.
When the Brussels portion runs, there is no capacity on the train. But even on other days, detaching the car transporters at Duesseldorf would require a shunting loco and staff - at present it is all done by the train engine and on-train staff.
The schedule would allow it, though, as the stop at Köln-West to detach the Brussels portion wouldn't be needed, so maybe OeBB will have a change of heart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
They may well be keeping the Brussels-Vienna portion though in that consist, although the Brussels-Innsbruck one is going. Possible as they don't have enough carriages at the moment.

Veteran Member
They may well be keeping the Brussels-Vienna portion though in that consist, although the Brussels-Innsbruck one is going. Possible as they don't have enough carriages at the moment.
Possibly. Brussels-Innsbruck would have to run on the alternate days, and I doubt the market of Tirolean and Bavarian politicians/civil servants warrants it, even if they had the stock.

On Motorail - the Nightjet website implies that Hamburg-Innsbruck will run as well as Hamburg-Vienna, and my guess is that the Innsbruck portion will run instead of the Vienna one on the same nights as the Brussels sleeper, again because of loadings.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Possibly. Brussels-Innsbruck would have to run on the alternate days, and I doubt the market of Tirolean and Bavarian politicians/civil servants warrants it, even if they had the stock.

Brussels - Innsbruck would make sense as a weekly Saturday winter service for skiers, but that is not really a NightJet kind of service (probably wouldn’t make sense as just a small number of cars either).

Just an update from my trip. A few weeks after we got back, a speeding fine arrived through the door from the German police. I had been caught speeding 10 kms over the limit through the roadworks near Cologne while engaged with my race with the train. They even supplied a nice flash photo of me in the car.

As they had gone to all the bother to find our address in the Netherlands, I was fearing the worst from the Polizei but the fine was for just ten euros. I was more than happy to pay.

I had the same kind of thing from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. IIRC I was only 6 kph over the limit. 15 Euros only payable with a debit card number, and extra bank charges as well. I wouldn't mind if I knew that any Germans caught speeding in the UK were treated the same way, but I strongly suggest they are not. Interestingly this highlights a difference in philosophy, as speeding in germany is treated on a sliding scale depending on how much you are speeding by, and our system hit you with a large fine and points (although if you are offered a course there are no points but still a relatively large financial cost and considerable inconvenience)

MarcVD

Has Bruxelles Schaerbeck still got the infrastructure to load cars?

No. The terminal itself, the access ramps, and the two tracks have all been dismantled and replaced by a parking.

Note that in the last years of auto train in Belgium, Schaerbeek had already been replaced by Denderleeuw. The installations there were kind of temporary and probably dismantled today as well.

What might still exist (not sure, would have to check) is the terminal of Bressoux, in the suburbs of Liege.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Interestingly this highlights a difference in philosophy, as speeding in germany is treated on a sliding scale depending on how much you are speeding by, and our system hit you with a large fine and points

Not so - there is very much a sliding scale here, and the fines are means tested. It’s just that the fixed penalty system of c£100 fine and 3 points is the (usual) minimum, and that covers most offences.

Memma

Has anyone ever used the Optima Express from Villach to Erdine? I'd love one day to do a UK to Turkey trip using the NJ from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck, then over the alps to Villach and onward! Seems like an easier way to do most of the trip to Istanbul by train too. Does anyone know if you have to travel with a car on the Optima ExpresS?

Not so - there is very much a sliding scale here, and the fines are means tested. It’s just that the fixed penalty system of c£100 fine and 3 points is the (usual) minimum, and that covers most offences.

True, fixed penalty is £100 and 3 points, (or speed awareness course for about the same cost and no points) but if it goes to Court the numbers are quite draconian. Speeding in the UK is split into 3 bands. Band A 31-40mph in a 30 zone, fine 50% of your weekly income, average £240, band B, 41-50mph in a 30 mph zone, fine 100% of weekly income, average £480, band C, 51 and above in a 30 mph limit, fine 150% of weekly income (£720)and 6 points.

The German system isn't means tested, the fines start as low as 10 Euros and escalate as the excess speed rises, and certainly at the low end of excess speed it is little more than a slap on the wrist. As far as I know, you can be continually fined for small infringements without any long-term consequences. Someone told me that speeding fines in Germany and particularly Austria are a normal way of life. I find it amazing that I have managed to hold a full UK license for 50 years and never had a speeding fine here but I have had one small fine from Germany (speed camera by post) and I know I set off 2 cameras without consequence, and 2 small fines in Austria (policeman with hand-held radar). There is a points system (Punkt in Flensberg). There is a sliding scale from 0 points to a maximum of 2 points, 8 being required for a ban.

So as I said in my last post, the philosophy is different. In Germany you get caught frequently and get fined for smaller excess speed than UK, but it is usually a little slap on the wrist. Here the minimum fine is 10 x the German, and you get points, but you may get a little more leeway, and you appear to be less likely to be caught. If you are caught it is big stick

peteb

Has anyone ever used the Optima Express from Villach to Erdine? I'd love one day to do a UK to Turkey trip using the NJ from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck, then over the alps to Villach and onward! Seems like an easier way to do most of the trip to Istanbul by train too. Does anyone know if you have to travel with a car on the Optima ExpresS?
Do you know what's happening to the Villach to Ljubliana trains, I assume it goes that way? Bahn.de suggests massive detour via Italy. Engineering possession of the tunnel?

StephenHunter

Established Member
Vienna-Bruxelles now goes via the left bank of the Rhine, so no longer calls at Köln, but does at Bonn Hbf instead of Bonn-Beuel.

Established Member
Do you know what's happening to the Villach to Ljubliana trains, I assume it goes that way? Bahn.de suggests massive detour via Italy. Engineering possession of the tunnel?
Yes the route is shut Villach-Jesenice until at least next summer

Veteran Member
Yes the route is shut Villach-Jesenice until at least next summer
Bahn.de shows RRB Villach-Jesenice for the day trains.
IIRC sleepers are diverted from Bischofshofen via Graz and I imagine the Edirne train will do something similar via Klagenfurt-Leoben-Graz.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Vienna-Bruxelles now goes via the left bank of the Rhine, so no longer calls at Köln, but does at Bonn Hbf instead of Bonn-Beuel.

The Brussels and the Amsterdam portions are separated/joined at Köln West, AFAIK. The Amsterdam train still serves Köln Hbf.

peteb

Bahn.de shows RRB Villach-Jesenice for the day trains.
IIRC sleepers are diverted from Bischofshofen via Graz and I imagine the Edirne train will do something similar via Klagenfurt-Leoben-Graz.
Thanks.

citycat

I am looking forward to the return of an overnight sleeper to Amsterdam and hopefully travelling on it next year. I am just curious, will it be a NS class 1700 taking it to the German border or will it be a DB Traxx working through?

If it is not a Traxx, could someone explain why I see DB liveried Traxx on freights through my home town of Woerden? Is it to do with freight locos being cleared to work certain lines in the Netherlands or is it to do with voltages? I don’t quite get why there is a loco change at the border on the Ams -Berlin IC.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question. I’m not fully up to date with loco operations in mainland Europe and how far they can travel.

biko

I am just curious, will it be a NS class 1700 taking it to the German border or will it be a DB Traxx working through?
Hired in Vectron, I believe.
I read something a few weeks ago about tests with a hired vectron. I will see if I can find a link. DB is not involved anymore, it is a hired vectron of NS between Amsterdam and Köln and another loco of ÖBB for the rest of the journey.

Edit: here’s an article (in Dutch but shows a picture):https://www.spoorpro.nl/materieel/2...nrijkse-nachttrein-amsterdam-wenen/?gdpr=deny

If it is not a Traxx, could someone explain why I see DB liveried Traxx on freights through my home town of Woerden? Is it to do with freight locos being cleared to work certain lines in the Netherlands or is it to do with voltages?
That’s because Nightjet is now a fully Austrian initiative for which they cooperate with some national operators but DB is not involved.

I don’t quite get why there is a loco change at the border on the Ams -Berlin IC
That’s because of history, probably cost and the limited time saving as trains always need to stop at Bad Bentheim. But that’s a bit OT.

citycat

Ok, thanks for the answers, though surely DB is involved, by having to supply a driver and conductor for the train within Germany. I will wait tlll December then to see what is at the head of the consist in Amsterdam.

biko

Ok, thanks for the answers, though surely DB is involved, by having to supply a driver and conductor for the train within Germany. I will wait tlll December then to see what is at the head of the consist in Amsterdam.
Dutch drivers will do the part between Amsterdam and Köln and if I remember correctly Austrian drivers will take over there already. I have no idea about conductors but the hosts will be supplied by a separate company just as happens with all Nightjets. I cannot remember their exact name, something with wagons-lits in it I think. So no involvement of DB whatsoever.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Dutch drivers will do the part between Amsterdam and Köln and if I remember correctly Austrian drivers will take over there already. I have no idea about conductors but the hosts will be supplied by a separate company just as happens with all Nightjets. I cannot remember their exact name, something with wagons-lits in it I think. So no involvement of DB whatsoever.

The company is called Newrest Wagon Lits

EAD

A couple of videos of the tests for the Vienna/Innsbruck sleeper in NL (with a Vectron) can be found here and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.