• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nightjet Sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

applepie2100

I'm planning a trip during which I'd like to include a journey on the Nightjet sleeper and I've got a couple of questions.

The first is how punctual are they usually? I'm looking at taking NJ471 from Berlin to Zurich and it's supposed to arrive in Zurich HB at 09:05. I'm flying out of Zurich at 12:15 on the same day and I've got a feeling that I'm not really leaving myself a lot of time.

The second question is can anyone confirm which routes the double deck Nightjet carriages are used on? Seat61 suggests that they're used on Berlin-Zurich, Hamburg-Zurich and Zurich-Vienna but vagonweb.cz shows the composition of the Hamburg-Zurich service as single deck only. I'm looking to try and book a deluxe compartment on the double deck so it would be good to know.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfonso

I'm planning a trip during which I'd like to include a journey on the Nightjet sleeper and I've got a couple of questions.

The first is how punctual are they usually? I'm looking at taking NJ471 from Berlin to Zurich and it's supposed to arrive in Zurich HB at 09:05. I'm flying out of Zurich at 12:15 on the same day and I've got a feeling that I'm not really leaving myself a lot of time.

The second question is can anyone confirm which routes the double deck Nightjet carriages are used on? Seat61 suggests that they're used on Berlin-Zurich, Hamburg-Zurich and Zurich-Vienna but vagonweb.cz shows the composition of the Hamburg-Zurich service as single deck only. I'm looking to try and book a deluxe compartment on the double deck so it would be good to know.

Thanks.
If you're able bodied, hand luggage only, and checked in on line for a short haul flight it's probably oodles of time. If you're not too sprightly, carrying heavy luggage, and planning on a meal in the lounge, I'd say it's too risky

Alfonso

Thanks.
Single deckers should include deluxe 3 berth compartments, double deckers should only offer singles and doubles, so you could do a dummy booking for a triple deluxe

cactustwirly

Established Member
Night trains are often very unpunctual, so I'd suggest that is indeed a risky plan.

My last Night train experience was EN466 from Budapest to Zurich, despite losing time en route to Vienna, and a few single track sections, it arrived into Zurich bang on time!
The times are quite slack, so I don't think you'll have any major problems.

paddington

Is there a working timetable for this train available online?

Many night trains are timetabled to stop for long periods overnight, which enables them to catch up on delays, but the passenger timetable for EN471 only gives it 2-3 minutes at every station.

For example the aforementioned EN462 from Budapest to Zurich has 15 mins at Linz and 17 mins at Salzburg, thus even if it is 25 mins late at Salzburg it should be able to get to Zurich on time.

Was flying from Berlin in the morning + 1 extra hotel night much more expensive than the train?

NJ471 hangs around at Basel SBB for about 30 minutes Southbound from memory, so there is indeed quite a bit of contingency available. An earlier arrival of 0826 is available at Zurich HB by swopping to a Swiss IC train on arrival.

Veteran Member

Thanks.

The Hamburg portion should be the conventional Comfortline car wich works to Graz the next night.
There is a PDF on the Drehscheibe site (something like Nachtzüge Ubersicht) which gives intermediate timings, including any pre-planned diversions - I've just looked, and there is one such over the Easter weekend (last summer I was glad to have learnt in advance that the NJ from Vienna was diverted and would be 2 hours late into Zurich).
I reckon with night trains to allow a couple of hours leeway, but you should be fairly safe.

applepie2100

Thanks for all your advice!

I've changed my travel plans slightly and I'm now taking an ICE from Berlin to Vienna then Nightjet to Zurich a day earlier to give me an overnight in Zurich instead. I'm not up for taking the risk that my journey is the one bad night where it all goes wrong! Would any of you happen to know if the double deck deluxe cabins have power sockets in them?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I've changed my travel plans slightly and I'm now taking an ICE from Berlin to Vienna then Nightjet to Zurich a day earlier to give me an overnight in Zurich instead. I'm not up for taking the risk that my journey is the one bad night where it all goes wrong! Would any of you happen to know if the double deck deluxe cabins have power sockets in them?

If they're en-suite they'll have a shaver socket at least.

tasky

I was delayed by around an hour on the Munich–Rome NightJet, so it does happen. The attendant was very apologetic and brought around some extra snacks. Other times I've used it it's been on time.

whhistle

On Moderation
Last time I went from Venice to Vienna on NightJet, it was on time.
Had a standard compartment, which I am sure had normal plug sockets as I did a load of charging overnight. Perhaps just one plug socket though.

Veteran Member

The man in Seat 61 he say(s) yes.

Last edited:

EAD

Having used NJ421 a couple of weeks back from Düsseldorf to Jenbach I thought a few observations may help. Punctuality fine in the morning - plenty of slack in there to cover the train splitting which helped us haul back in a delay.

This was an ex DB Comfortline sleeper - in terms of sockets definitely by the bed and also there is a shaver one above the sink. From memory in a deluxe top deck sleeper there were no socket issues - my memory may be playing up but thought there was also one by the table?

I suspect you would have been OK given Zürich HB to the airport only takes 10 minutes, but changing the plans to be sure makes sense. Have a good trip including the new Berolina ICE (T) service.

33Hz

I've used it 4 times on various routes since the OeBB takeover and never been late. For the single decker coaches there has always been a schuko socket in the cabin and another in the en-suite bathroom if you get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.