• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nikon Lens

traction22

I appreciate this is a vague question, but can anyone recommend (or advise what you use) as a good auto focus lens for bus photography? I've been using the kit lens (18-200mm currently) but think I could do better.

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
Why not use a shorter 'zoom' lens instead, such as Nikon AF-S 24mm to 70mm ED f2.8 or may be 18mm to 105mm ED f3.5/f5.6 for your camera assuming it is a DX type (ie D3xxx / D5xxx / D7xxx). An alternative, a fixed focal (prime) lens such as 50mm AF-S f1.8. My experience from taking some bus images, that a focal range of 40 to 50mm is more than sufficient.

traction22

You might have a good point with the shorter zoom, thanks. I am wanting something for better lighting in winter, so a lower f number would be better. I'll start looking :)

I have a 50mm f1.8 but it's a bit restrictive for buses.

8A Rail

Established Member
You might have a good point with the shorter zoom, thanks. I am wanting something for better lighting in winter, so a lower f number would be better. I'll start looking :)

I have a 50mm f1.8 but it's a bit restrictive for buses.

Why? It is treated as a standard lens which means it roughly mirrors the area view from your eyes (although a 35mm on DX type is more standard lens). Anything less than that i.e. 18mm / 24mm / 28mm starts to distort vertical / horizontal lines which means you are standing too close to the subject which as I've said distorts the subject. May be you really need to stand back a little bit more and tell the 'wide angle mobile phone' picture takers to do the same too! :lol:

traction22

Why? It is treated as a standard lens which means it roughly mirrors the area view from your eyes (although a 35mm on DX type is more standard lens). Anything less than that i.e. 18mm / 24mm / 28mm starts to distort vertical / horizontal lines which means you are standing too close to the subject which as I've said distorts the subject. May be you really need to stand back a little bit more and tell the 'wide angle mobile phone' picture takers to do the same too! :lol:

I'm just used to 18-200mm I suppose. With a none fixed, it's easier to set the shot, especially with moving buses (yes, I agree I may need to move).

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I appreciate this is a vague question, but can anyone recommend (or advise what you use) as a good auto focus lens for bus photography? I've been using the kit lens (18-200mm currently) but think I could do better.

TIA
Could you elaborate on this please? Do you want to step up to a better lens? I don't use Nikon but think they used to do a 70-300mm zoom lens.

You won't get a "fast" zoom lens at a budget price (i.e. max aperture of f1.8 or above) but a 50mm prime will give you an equivalent of about 75mm on a DX camera. Primes make you move about more ...

traction22

I am not quite sure. I think what I am saying is some of my images aren't as sharp as they could be - I appreciate this is probably a me issue, but was just looking for upgrades which may help.

87electric

I am not quite sure. I think what I am saying is some of my images aren't as sharp as they could be - I appreciate this is probably a me issue, but was just looking for upgrades which may help.
Any camera will only do what you tell it to do. That is the reality I’m afraid.
Your 50mm 1.8 should be giving you good results.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That sounds more like a focus issue - assuming the lens hasn't had any knocks, are you able to adjust the areas from which the autofocus reads the image? Should be some square like patterns when you pre-press the shutter button; it'll be reading from whichever point shows up when you do that and focussing accordingly.

Can you post up some of the affected images so we can see exactly what is happening with them?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
So maybe you need to work on your technique...?

Sharpness is very subjective and depends on many factors. Are you using the correct shutter speed if for example, the bus is moving? Is the bus blurry? Which "bit" of the bus are you focusing on? Can you hear the lens focusing as you press the shutter to take the picture? Can you use back-button focus?

As @Peter Mugridge suggests above; best to post up some examples so we can help

traction22

Thanks all -

To clarify, the 50mm 1.8 is a really good lens but generally not for buses, the lack of zoom is it's main downfall. I could crop, but I don't like to do that.

Since posting this thread I've come to two conclusions, the day time bus shots (see signature for a sample) are OK, it's my group (people) shots which seem not to be as sharp as they could be. That might be an me issue, I fully accept that. I do think though, a zoom with lower than f.3.5 (or whatever my camera uses) would be a good idea generally. Thanks all.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd agree those daytime shots look perfectly good to me ( and I see you have a nice few from a heritage day in my neck of the woods... :) ).

It would still be helpful if you could post a few of the ones you're not happy with - if we can see them, we might be able to tell you what is happening with them.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
The problem with people is that - they move....slight sway etc - including the photographer/camera

You may need to stop down to increase depth of field (smaller f number) as most kit lenses are rubbish wide open (large aperture). Especially if you want everyone in the group to be in focus. And remember, increased depth of field may require a slow(er) shutter speed - hence you need to keep still to avoid camera shake