• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

nNetwork Day Tripper Adult - Am I getting this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumperkin

Hi,

I'm looking at making a return journey Stourbridge Junction to Chester Road in August. I have looked at brfares, and an off-peak day return is £8.30 (I'm travelling on a Saturday).

I remembered once seeing something about a West Mids day ranger kind of ticket - I have found the following which is £7.20 and says "train travel within the specified West Midlands rail zones" https://legacy.wmnetwork.co.uk/tickets/#/ticket/39. Looking at the map, SBJ is in Zone 5 and Chester Road in Zone 3 (passing through 5-1 and 1-3 to get there).

Am I right that this ticket is OK for use? Seems strange that a ticket is cheaper when it gives more use (all day travel on trains, buses and metro) so I feel like I'm missing something. I take it, if valid, it can be bought at SBJ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi,

I'm looking at making a return journey Stourbridge Junction to Chester Road in August. I have looked at brfares, and an off-peak day return is £8.30 (I'm travelling on a Saturday).

I remembered once seeing something about a West Mids day ranger kind of ticket - I have found the following which is £7.20 and says "train travel within the specified West Midlands rail zones" https://legacy.wmnetwork.co.uk/tickets/#/ticket/39. Looking at the map, SBJ is in Zone 5 and Chester Road in Zone 3 (passing through 5-1 and 1-3 to get there).

Am I right that this ticket is OK for use? Seems strange that a ticket is cheaper when it gives more use (all day travel on trains, buses and metro) so I feel like I'm missing something. I take it, if valid, it can be bought at SBJ?
I agree it's bizarre - however if you have a look at the ticket details you'll see that the restriction code (G1) says that:
By any train except those timed to depart Mondays‐Fridays before 09:30 but if fare is £7.20 or more, a 'nNetwork Daytripper' must be issued.
It's unclear to me why WMT don't just reduce the cost of the CDR to slightly below the cost of an nNetwork Daytripper, but there we go. I would certainly expect to be able to buy it at the ticket office.

3. Valid for travel on the date shown from 0930 until the end of daytime services Monday to Friday and at anytime Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays.

This sounds more restricted than the "until 04:29" of a rail ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's unclear to me why WMT don't just reduce the cost of the CDR to slightly below the cost of an nNetwork Daytripper, but there we go.
Because that would mess with the prices of the same tickets with discounts applied.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because that would mess with the prices of the same tickets with discounts applied.
Ah yes, the perennial problem of being unable to rip off Railcard holders...

Pumperkin

Thanks all. Will get myself one of those. This is a rare time when the train is considerably cheaper and easier than driving (albeit I will still have a drive to SBJ).

island

Veteran Member
Thanks all. Will get myself one of those. This is a rare time when the train is considerably cheaper and easier than driving (albeit I will still have a drive to SBJ).
This being RailForums I am obliged to suggest you instead drive to SBT and get a 139 in :E

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This being RailForums I am obliged to suggest you instead drive to SBT and get a 139 in :E
Fortunately the buses on wheels have just been repaired as well...

Haywain

Veteran Member
Ah yes, the perennial problem of being unable to rip off Railcard holders...
Surely ripping off railcard holders would be charging a higher maximum fare instead of the discount to which they have an entitlement?

woolos

3. Valid for travel on the date shown from 0930 until the end of daytime services Monday to Friday and at anytime Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays.

This sounds more restricted than the "until 04:29" of a rail ticket.
This ticket includes bus and tram which normally do not run after midnight

Status
Not open for further replies.