• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No more DB for staff travel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Had a quick look at the IR website. Immediately put off by their suggestions to "visit Germany in the fall" and use of "center". My fairly short notice coupons last year did arrive in time though.

The two are not connected.
ATOC deal with FIP coupons. IR deal with FIP tickets (that involve cash/money).

I sent International Rail an email this morning and received a response within 90 minutes !!

Best of all it was answered by an ex-DB employee from Surbiton ??????

Blinder

Perhaps they will employ all the staff from Rail Europe or Voyages SNCF when they close at the end of the year.

TheEscapist_

Booked a e* ticket today with ease, the woman I spoke with on the phone was very helpful. I stupidly forgot to ask thought about seat reservation. Does anyone know if they can be changed once booked? Looks like I'm on the new e320 train though!

phil1960

Perhaps they will employ all the staff from Rail Europe or Voyages SNCF when they close at the end of the year.

Unlikely even if International Rail are recruiting. Very much doubt the salary will justify the cost of relocating or travel costs from the Maidstone/Medway area to Alton.

Phil

jc99

Hi,

How long does it take for bookmyrst.co.uk (Rail Staff Travel) to respond to a booking request?

I filled in my request 2 hours ago, but not heard back yet.

Thanks,

John
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi,

How long does it take for bookmyrst.co.uk (Rail Staff Travel) to respond to a booking request?

I filled in my request 2 hours ago, but not heard back yet.

Thanks,

John

Have now found out, in case anyone else wants to know. (In my case, I was getting a priv on the Eurostar.)

Rang them (on their premium rate no.) and asked. They said they reply to booking requests submitted through their website "within 48 hours".

Also, I asked if they can do booking changes or refunds. They said they do, but they charge £10 for this.

All feels a bit "Ryanair" but I guess this is how they make their money. There wouldn't be much commission if they only did it for a percentage.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone else do staff bookings, or is it only bookmyrst.co.uk?

burns20

Rail Adventures Travel of Tywyn, Mid Wales offer Rail Staff Travel i.e. FIP Bookings and Eurostar bookings.

Contact me by email on:

[email protected]

Or by phone on: 07871036989

Daniel King
Rail Adventures Travel

Last edited:

burns20

Good morning DaiGog,

Yes we charge a competitive fee for all bookings FIP and non-FIP.

Regards

Daniel King
Rail Adventures Travel

Blinder

Rail Adventures Travel of Tywyn, Mid Wales offer Rail Staff Travel i.e. FIP Bookings and Eurostar bookings.

Contact me by email on:

[email protected]

Or by phone on: 07871036989

Daniel King
Rail Adventures Travel

Hi,

Do you actually issue the FIP tickets, both Eurostar and other tickets, yourself or do you get them from other agents?

Thanks

Blinder

burns20

Rail Adventures Travel like any other business is not going to disclose commercial information about its business.
We have a very strong customer base and are doing very well providing a first class service to our customers.
Every package is different and the feedback we have received is very favorable on price and service.
We were offering to help someone with an enquiry but it is an individual's choice whether they use any company.
We will continue to work with our many customers around the world and if you want to get in touch and think we can help we look forward to hearing from you.

Blinder

Go on, be honest. What do you charge ?

But we would like to know what your booking fees are, so that we do not waste your time in asking for quotes if your booking fees are higher that the companies recommended by ATOC.

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
But we would like to know what your booking fees are, so that we do not waste your time in asking for quotes if your booking fees are higher that the companies recommended by ATOC.

Good morning Daniel (and all)

The agency I use for FIP and Eurostar bookings charges 8% commission up to a maximum figure (which escapes me at the moment) which I am happy to pay as the service they provide is excellent, and I have heard almost nothing positive said about the new outfit that RSTL use, so would rather pay for peace of mind rather than use a free service which may fail in the most basic of requirements of getting a booking done in time.

Therefore if you were to charge less than 8% I would happily give you a try next time (I typically book 4 or 5 times a year).

I used International Rail last week for a last minute Eurostar booking.

The phone was answered within seconds and the Eurostar tickets were emailed to me with a few minutes as a PDF file.

This is far better than any current FIP Eurostar provider (apart from Eurostar itself).

The downside - about 70p in phone call costs and the tickets sold in Euro's so the cost per single ticket worked out at £26pp rather than the correct £23pp.

monorail

Guys, looking for help.

I have used my FIP card for discounted travel in various countries but have never used my free coupons. I have sent away for my free coupons for travel in Poland on 7th/8th April but can you tell me what else I have to do. Do I still need to contact ticket companies or do I just turn up with a dated box filled out.

Thanks.

From ATOC's website :-

Reservations are compulsory on certain EC, IC and Ex trains.
There are a number of smaller regional operators in Poland. FIP Facilities are only available on services provided by PKP InterCity and local services provided by Przewozy Regionalne, Koleje Mazowieckie-KM, PKP Szybka Kolej Miejska w Trojmiescie and Warszawska Kolej Dojazdowa.

So, if you want yo travel on EC, IC or Ex trains then you'll need a reservation. The usual UK ticket agencies ( like Ffestiniog Travel or Rail Canterbury) can do these for you. Or you can do them once you arrive in Poland - if there's still seats available.

Other than this, date your coupon and enjoy free travel.

smoky_bacon

Guys, looking for help.

I have used my FIP card for discounted travel in various countries but have never used my free coupons. I have sent away for my free coupons for travel in Poland on 7th/8th April but can you tell me what else I have to do. Do I still need to contact ticket companies or do I just turn up with a dated box filled out.

Thanks.

When travelling on KM (local services around Warsaw) keep in mind two things:
1) When I travelled in 2014 the guard was not aware that the FIP discounts/coupons apply on their services (or just ripped me off?) and said "it's only for Intercity" etc. I wasn't 100% sure and it was still cheap for my 40 min journey one way so I bought the ticket from him for the peace of mind. Back in the UK I checked the rules and then emailed KM customer service which first confirmed they honour FIP entitlements. Then in my next email I described that earlier situation with the guard and advised them to update their staff with the FIP rules - they never replied to me again

2) Tickets were checked by a security company (not railway) staff. I doubt they'd have a clue about what FIP is and wouldn't expect a free-flowing conversation in English with them.

I would advise you to contact PKP, KM, SKM or whatever you are going to use and ask them to send you information regarding FIP travel on their services in Polish language so you can print it and show when checked.

Sounds ridiculous, I know...

Also, when travelling on SKM in Gdynia the lady in TO wasn't convinced about 50% discount with FIP but still sold me the tickets.
No issues on PKP train Gdynia-Wladyslawowo when we got checked though.

Anyway enjoy your time there, it's a beautiful country.

Last edited:

Polrail

I would advise you to contact PKP, KM, SKM or whatever you are going to use and ask them to send you information regarding FIP travel on their services in Polish language so you can print it and show when checked.

On the KM web site, the section about "honoring tickets" does not mention FIP/InterRail/Eurail:

http://www.mazowieckie.com.pl/pl/honorowanie-bilet-w

So, I rang them up. After much consultation, the man returned and told me that FIP cards/tickets are honored by Koleje Mazowieckie. He said it was in the tariff, but I've since gone over the tariff with a fine-tooth comb and there is no mention of it!

It appears to be a case of "it should be accepted, unless it isn't"!

On a general note, if any of you need help in booking in this neck of the woods (Poland and surrounding countries), let us know at Polrail Service and we'll do you best to assist you!

smoky_bacon

Polrail - your efforts are much appreciated, thank you.
I assume you are a well established company within Polish Railways industry so would you be able to try and prompt KM (and others where necessary) to update their info and add FIP to the 'accepted' list? That could help a lot of people in the future as I know many railway enthusiast like to travel to and around Poland as well as more and more tourists.

Polrail

To follow up on the Koleje Mazowieckie situation...

I contacted their tariff department, and finally today received a reply that "informuję, że w Kolejach Mazowieckich honorowane są uprawnienia wynikające z przynależności do FIP." (We inform you that on Koleje Mazowieckie FIP tickets are honored.)

Attached is a copy of the e-mail, with my original enquiry and the reply from the KM tariff department. Please feel free to print and take with you to show in case of any questions from the conductor.

Attachments

• RE: Akceptowanie biletu typu "FIP" na KM.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 10

mikestone1952

I decided to give myrst another go and while they did respond immediately to the form, quoting £34.00 for Eurostar and £13.00 for Paris-Stuttgart.
They did point out that Eurostar is only £29.50 from the booking office at St. Pancras.
;
There have been suggestions elsewhere that St. Pancras were not selling FIPs so I went to check and got mine there with no problem.
;
The Stuttgart leg I have purchased from DB on 08718808066 at £11.34, obviously a conversion from Euro.s, and no postage charge, as before.

onemanonline

;
The Stuttgart leg I have purchased from DB on 08718808066 at £11.34, obviously a conversion from Euro.s, and no postage charge, as before.

Can I ask, is that price with coupons or just fip? Also is that the joint SNCF/DB train service?

Thanks

smoky_bacon

To follow up on the Koleje Mazowieckie situation...

I contacted their tariff department, and finally today received a reply that "informuję, że w Kolejach Mazowieckich honorowane są uprawnienia wynikające z przynależności do FIP." (We inform you that on Koleje Mazowieckie FIP tickets are honored.)

Attached is a copy of the e-mail, with my original enquiry and the reply from the KM tariff department. Please feel free to print and take with you to show in case of any questions from the conductor.
This might be very helpful, many thanks Polrail!

mikestone1952

Can I ask, is that price with coupons or just fip? Also is that the joint SNCF/DB train service?

Thanks
;
That's the FIP rate - when I first spotted it I thought it must be a supplement, but it isn't. Yes it is SNCF/DB available on both TGVs and ICEs.

Status
Not open for further replies.