• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains between Stevenage and Peterborough 23/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

All lines are currently blocked at Sandy due to a fault on 1H06 1850 London Kings Cross - Beverley

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
These Hull Trains issues are getting increasingly common now, the problem being (Warning : Retford based rant) That when they are frequently cancelling trains due to faults then it wipes out a good chunk of Retford trains, including on more than one occasion in the last few months the 2030 which is the last one that connects to Worksop / Sheffield.
Is it a recurring fault on these 180's or different things?

robbeech

Established Member
To quote one of the onboard staff a couple of months ago - the 180s are “clapped out” and the new trains cant come soon enough
They're some of the newest trains on the network. Are they not THE newest trains to use the ECML north of Peterborough?

DanNCL

Established Member
They're some of the newest trains on the network. Are they not THE newest trains to use the ECML north of Peterborough?
They might be the newest, but they certainly are not the most reliable or the units in the best condition

rustbucket

They might be the newest, but they certainly are not the most reliable or the units in the best condition
For 3 weeks the other month there were two of them running round with an engine out!

185s are newest units north of Peterborough probably

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Several people have told me Class 180s are very difficult to maintain.

I have also been informed that the brakes can cause problems on a fairly frequent basis.

The HSTs may be a lot older but they are easier to maintain, they were overhauled relatively recently and the engines are much newer.

Perhaps @70271 and @43094 can give their opinions?

DanNCL

Established Member
For 3 weeks the other month there were two of them running round with an engine out!

185s are newest units north of Peterborough probably
Only between Newcastle and York though, Doncaster to York its 220s/221s, Peterborough to Doncaster its 180s

Silver Cobra

This may be being a bit nit-picky, but only between Peterborough and York. North of York, TPE's class 185s take the honour of newest trains using the ECML instead.

**EDIT: DanNCL beat me to it, and mentioned the 220s/221s between Doncaster and York :p

Anywhos... it's funny that Hull Trains are eager to get rid of the 180s, yet Grand Central are happy to take them on, seeing the Hull Trains units will replace Grand Central's HSTs. Sure, a fleet of a single unit type has it's advantages, but if these are as troublesome as they seem to be, it makes you wonder if it's the best move to make.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
The disruption was very quickly sorted it seems. In fact, I think it was resolved in around 15-20 minutes?

I saw it mentioned that overhead line staff were on route to the location, which is weird. No chance of a 180 bringing down wires, so I wonder what the problem was?

robbeech

Established Member
Some GC staff were expressing concerns today on a train i was on (not GC) over refurbishment of the 180s and were expecting lots of minor issues to follow.

cactustwirly

Established Member
This may be being a bit nit-picky, but only between Peterborough and York. North of York, TPE's class 185s take the honour of newest trains using the ECML instead.

**EDIT: DanNCL beat me to it, and mentioned the 220s/221s between Doncaster and York :p

Anywhos... it's funny that Hull Trains are eager to get rid of the 180s, yet Grand Central are happy to take them on, seeing the Hull Trains units will replace Grand Central's HSTs. Sure, a fleet of a single unit type has it's advantages, but if these are as troublesome as they seem to be, it makes you wonder if it's the best move to make.

Being pedantic it's the GW units that are replacing the GC HSTs, not the HT units.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Bring some 180s back to Northern! 5-car on Blackpool to Hazel Grove! (Well, Preston to Hazel Grove right now :D)

MG11

I wonder if HT's 180s would have as many problems if they could afford stricter maintainence. EMT's 222s (much better build, I know), have incredibly high reliability and they are maintained in house. I beleive HT's heavy maintenance is done at Old Oak Common. It's similar to XC Turbostars, I don't think I've seen one with all the lighting filters in tact yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.