• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No union representation at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'm lucky to have worked in a sector with union representation but my relative moans that their workplace has no union representation so are stuck with whatever their employers give them (and resent unions for asking for regular increase).

There's many, many businesses where there is no obvious union link for employees to join.

What is the solution other than get a job with a union representation?
My example is a call centre. Is there a route to get union representation into a business where there was none?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The first thing I'd do is get in touch with the CWU and see if they have any best practice tips for how to unionise a call centre. It will however rely on him taking the lead and speaking to other workers to unionise.

JGurney

Is the employer fairly small, with only one or a few work sites, or a larger one with a number of premises? Does the employer not recognise any union or is there a recognised union but no functioning branch at the particular workplace involved?

Gathursty

Established Member
Is the employer fairly small, with only one or a few work sites, or a larger one with a number of premises? Does the employer not recognise any union or is there a recognised union but no functioning branch at the particular workplace involved?
It's a larger one with a number of premises. The call centre is one aspect of the business but I'm reluctant to name the sector for privacy reasons. Off the top of my head I can't think of a union my relative could easily join as its more of a general role than something specific like a doctor.

I've no idea if the employer would recognise a union. I don't think it's ever been discussed there.

Gloster

Established Member
I think that the Communication Workers Union is the one specifically for call centre workers. There will be one for business as a whole if the call centre workers go in with the rest of the employees: Unite, Unison, GMB, etc. (I hope I am up to date with name changes and amalgamations.)

JGurney

It's a larger one with a number of premises. The call centre is one aspect of the business but I'm reluctant to name the sector for privacy reasons. Off the top of my head I can't think of a union my relative could easily join as its more of a general role than something specific like a doctor.

I've no idea if the employer would recognise a union. I don't think it's ever been discussed there.
A big employer like that may have a national recognition agreement with a union, but they might not publicise that. No need to name the employer here. I agree with Gloster above about the most likely unions. One way would be to contact the 'enquiries'/'contact us' address of CWU, and failing them Unison and Unite, asking if they are recognised by that employer. If they are then it may be possible for an individual to join even in the absence of a branch operating in their local workplace (in individual matters like disciplinary action they would be represented by a regional or local official in the absence of a branch shop steward).

AY1975

Established Member
Even if your employer doesn't recognise any union, that doesn't stop you belonging to a union. In fact, even if you're in a non-unionised workplace it's still worth belonging to a union because your union can still advise you on any workplace issues if necessary so belonging to a union is like a kind of insurance policy against anything untoward happening to you at work.

If there isn't a union that's specific to your line of work, I would say that Unite would be a good union to join as they cover people in all kinds of jobs.

cadder toad

Try googling <name of employer> together with union. See what appears. Secondly, the best union to join is usually the one with members already in the workplace

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think that the Communication Workers Union is the one specifically for call centre workers. There will be one for business as a whole if the call centre workers go in with the rest of the employees: Unite, Unison, GMB, etc. (I hope I am up to date with name changes and amalgamations.)
It won't necessarily be the CWU. When I was at BT that was the recognised union, but in other call centre jobs I've done the unions have varied depending on the sector. I worked for a large finance company where MSF was present, although it was evolving into Amicus at the time (now Unite). Another company I worked for was an outsourced call centre operation covering different sectors but it was a subsidiary of United Utilities and probably recognised whatever union the parent company did; I'm fairly sure it was Unite again in this case.

One issue I did discover is that it was often difficult to get anyone to be a union rep, especially in areas where there wasn't much similar employment; those looking for promotion to more senior roles tended to avoid it.

Gathursty

Established Member
It won't necessarily be the CWU. When I was at BT that was the recognised union, but in other call centre jobs I've done the unions have varied depending on the sector. I worked for a large finance company where MSF was present, although it was evolving into Amicus at the time (now Unite). Another company I worked for was an outsourced call centre operation covering different sectors but it was a subsidiary of United Utilities and probably recognised whatever union the parent company did; I'm fairly sure it was Unite again in this case.

One issue I did discover is that it was often difficult to get anyone to be a union rep, especially in areas where there wasn't much similar employment; those looking for promotion to more senior roles tended to avoid it.
I think you ring the closest to my relatives situation. I'll mention joining Unite. It's making me think 'crikey what would I do if I had a dispute with my employer and there was no union at all for support/advice.'

Status
Not open for further replies.