• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No Vy (NSB) night trains Olso-Bergen this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
NRK reports that Vy (NSB) will not run any night trains during the summer between Oslo and Bergen.

SJ will start their new operating contract in Norway, and run night trains between Oslo and Trondheim from 8 June, but only for weekend traffic on Friday and Sunday nights. SJ's state-supported night trains have operated throughout the pandemic, but the commercially operated Malmö-Stockholm night train has been parked for several months.

In the tabloid newspaper VG, the newspaper's leader yesterday attacked VY for their short-sightedness. Vy blame a lack of demand and an increased cost of cleaning, but VG (and others) argue that if the train isn't there it won't be able to attract people back.

I've written this elsewhere, but when travel does re-start, I would much prefer to pay a bit more and book a cabin on a night train for my exclusive use than take a daytime train or flight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Midnight Sun

That is odd, I found than even mid week in the summer, the sleeper train between Olso and Bergen was packed both ways. plus it provide a very good breakfast in Bergen.

Veteran Member
That is odd, I found than even mid week in the summer, the sleeper train between Olso and Bergen was packed both ways. plus it provide a very good breakfast in Bergen.
But who was travelling, and will they be travelling this summer? I suspect mostly tourists...

Status
Not open for further replies.